VW GOLF TDI MK6, 1.6 LITRE - OIL IN COOLANT - Anton VW

MY DEALERSHIP SPOTTED SOME OIL IN THE COOLANT DURING A MAJOR SERVICE TODAY. THEY WANT DO A PROPER DIAGNOSTIC NEXT WEEK. I HAVE ONLY EVER HAD THE CAR SERVICED BY VW DEALERSHIPS. 21000 MILES AND REGISTERED MARCH 2010. FSH.

WHY WOULD THIS PROBLEM OCCUR AND WHAT ARE THE LIKELY ASSOCIATED COSTS OF GETTING THE PROBLEM FIXED?

THANKS
Anton

VW GOLF TDI MK6, 1.6 LITRE - OIL IN COOLANT - The-Mechanic

A possible cause would be the oil cooler has for some reason failed ? Happened a lot on Vauxhall diesels and I've changed a few of them (on Vauxhalls) but not on the VW's.

The cooler is integral to the oil filter housing and has a water jacket running around the oil filled core so if it's failed internally oil can leak into the coolant, and vice versa.

Another rarer cause could be a failing head gasket ? I say rarer as in my 8 or so years in VW garages, I've only done about 3 h/gaskets on any VW so that possibility would be rare IMHO.

If the oil contamination is really bad, the biggest headache will be to clean the cooling system of all the oil residue as it will collect virtually everywhere. It'll need to be flushed thoroughly and I'd suggest that the thermostat be replaced to be on the safe side. Also, if there's any possibility of coolant in the oil, get that changed too even though it's only just been changed.

Good luck with it, and keep us updated on progress.

VW GOLF TDI MK6, 1.6 LITRE - OIL IN COOLANT - bathtub tom

>>If the oil contamination is really bad, the biggest headache will be to clean the cooling system of all the oil residue as it will collect virtually everywhere.

I've heard that dishwasher detergent is good for this. It's powerful and non foaming.

VW GOLF TDI MK6, 1.6 LITRE - OIL IN COOLANT - slkfanboy

I suspect they will clean nothing and regardless of how much oil leaked replacement all of all the affected parts. It's a dealership after all.

I would dig your heals in and try and get VW to pay for parts at least.

many thanks for the swift and informative reply. Any idea as to the cost of getting this fixed in a VW dealership?

Anton

many thanks for the swift and informative reply. Any idea as to the cost of getting this fixed in a VW dealership?

Anton