What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Audi A4 S Line Black Edition - Audi A4 TDI 150 bhp - Stuarta99

Not sure if anyone can help, but I ahve some queries with my new TDI 150 A4. So far I have about 2800 miles on the clock and during my daily commute, I get about 30mpg. I was reading topics last night about the engine not warming up and possibly even using higher revs to warm it quicker, but not sure if anything in this. I know that you don't always get what the figures say, but in my mind 30 is somewhat different from the advertised 52mpg urban. Looking around the 'net it appears to be a common issue with this engine.

At the moment it's not proving anymore economical than my old 1.6 petrol Leon.

I did try this morning to switch off the climate but it only rose by about 2-3. Anybody got any ideas or experience?

Thanks

(Edited the title to what I think was intended.)

Edited by Avant on 18/02/2014 at 21:56

Audi A4 S Line Black Edition - Audi A4 TDI 150 MPG - skidpan

You have not provided enough information for people to give an opinion.

How long is your commute?

What are the traffic conditions like?

How long have you had the car?

Audi A4 S Line Black Edition - Audi A4 TDI 150 MPG - 72 dudes

The car is not yet run in. It will not reach optimum efficiency until about 10,000 miles.

How long is your morning commute? Is there a lot of start/stop traffic? Do you live in a hilly area?

I would not recommend using higher revs to warm the car up, just drive normally.

The weather is cold and the fuel in your tank is winter diesel which is less efficient.

Lots of variables as you can see. Ultimately, was choosing a diesel engined car right for you

Audi A4 S Line Black Edition - Audi A4 TDI 150 MPG - madf

It's WINTER..

Audi A4 S Line Black Edition - Audi A4 TDI 150 MPG - Ronneh

Misleading title there, 150mpg? I thought to myself, no chance!

30mpg does seem a bit low but it is winter! I've just got a new car myself with around the same miles, i found the mpg increased as the car got more miles in it, maybe that's will be the case with this?

Audi A4 S Line Black Edition - Audi A4 TDI 150 MPG - gordonbennet

Are you driving it like the petrol, indeed look carefully at your driving.

This is Not criticism as my own car driving is dreadful for economy, hence why my petrol cars are on LPG.

Every yard you cover on overrun is free, every yard under power you burn fuel, keep momentum at junctions etc trying not to stop if at all possible, keep the revs down, don't accelerate hard all the time, keep the speed reasonable and steady, anything over 60 and you start to shift a lot of air which gets far worse as the speed rises, it all adds up.

Maybe try an economy drive week and see what the difference is...not saying you will want to adopt this, admittedly boring as hell, routine permanently (might as well have bought a 3cyl Corsa thing), but doing so might prove one way or another if its the car or you.

Winter does increase the fuel usage, but unless you live in the North we haven't had winter yet.

Edited by gordonbennet on 18/02/2014 at 10:07

Audi A4 S Line Black Edition - Audi A4 TDI 150 MPG - galileo

Winter does increase the fuel usage, but unless you live in the North we haven't had winter yet.

Here on the edge of the Pennines in West Yorkshire we've only had frost one day and a thin covering of snow on the tops for a day or so. Plants seem to think its spring already

Audi A4 S Line Black Edition - Audi A4 TDI 150 MPG - skidpan

Its not just the temperature and snow that increases fuels consumption in winter. You have the lights on much longer, the heater, the heated rear window, the wipers etc and all these take electricity, that puts more load on the engine. Then add in the lower temps which means the engine takes longer to heat up plus it also cools the engine much faster when its parked up.

All the above applies to petrols and diesels.

Winter diesel is slightly less volatile so that also adds to the increase.

Having carefully logged fuel for many years (my jobs in the past required me to keep records) I feel confident to say it makes between 2% and 4% difference on a diesel, not the 20% some people claim.