What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Toyota - Toyota to end manufacturing in Australia - RT

Toyota have announced that manufacturing will end in Australia by 2017 - this follows GM's announcement that Holden will cease manufacturing by 2016 and Fords earlier decision to end manufacturing there.

Australia will no longer be a car making country - very sad.

Toyota - Toyota to end manufacturing in Australia - gordonbennet

Why's that, purely down to cost what with other, possibly cheaper laboured, countries being relatively close...or difficult and legislation heavy rules regulations, again cost, or other reasons?

Why's that, purely down to cost what with other, possibly cheaper laboured, countries being relatively close...or difficult and legislation heavy rules regulations, again cost, or other reasons?

Having followed the Holden closure announcement on a GM forum, it seems that the Australian govt has withdrawn major subsidies from the car makers and the AUS$-US$ exchange rate isn't helping.

Toyota - Toyota to end manufacturing in Australia - Trilogy

Not unexpected.

Toyota - Toyota to end manufacturing in Australia - unthrottled

Uncharacteristically short response Trology; you normally eulogise defunct car makers. :)

Toyota - Toyota to end manufacturing in Australia - hillman

"Uncharacteristically short response Trology; you normally eulogise defunct car makers. :)"

Harldly 'defunct', unthrottled. This is an economics deal. The company isn't in the business to satisfy customers but to make the most profit for the shareholders. If the same financial circumstances arise here in the UK then the same thing will occur.

This is an economics deal. The company isn't in the business to satisfy customers but to make the most profit for the shareholders. If the same financial circumstances arise here in the UK then the same thing will occur.

As Opel/Vauxhall did at Luton and Ford did at Halewood, Dagenham and Soutrhampton

Toyota - Toyota to end manufacturing in Australia - oldroverboy.

Market too small for vehicles produced, so a $ saved counts for the beancounters..

Was the subsidy given was outweighing the taxation and economic gain, and was that why subsidies were scrapped?

I seem to recall the cost of living in Oz as being higher than here in blighty, and what about employment costs, even if for the time being they are better at cricket.

even if for the time being they are better at cricket.

We were just worse than them.

Toyota - Toyota to end manufacturing in Australia - colinh

Was watching a "Megafactories" film of the Australian Toyota's new hybrid engine plant last month; only came on stream in late 2012

Toyota - Toyota to end manufacturing in Australia - Snakey

Did toyota AUS only make cars for the AUS market then? Or did they ship them elsewhere?

Did toyota AUS only make cars for the AUS market then? Or did they ship them elsewhere?

The plant mainly produces Camrys and Aurions for sale locally in Australasia and for export to East and Southeast Asia and the Middle East.

Toyota - Toyota to end manufacturing in Australia - Avant

Maybe this size of car is getting less popular in Australia, as it is here.

Australia is a slightly strange car market - they still buy a lot of big RWD cars and fewer small FWD cars, as market percentages - but few American RWD models are built in RHD so they had their own little RWD/RHD market - but it's clearly not profitable to continue like that.

I think part of the reason Toyota pulled out was down to component suppliers. I heard a bit about it on Aussie radio when I was there.

Holden/Ford didn't seem to notice that people were moving away from V8/V6 to smaller engined cars. Ford's favourite was selling over 70,000 a year in 2003. Now that figure has dipped to under 20,000 cars. GM's favourite fares a little better. In 2002 sales were around 90,000, but in 2013 were down to around 30,000. A reluctance to move with market demands.............

Toyota - Toyota to end manufacturing in Australia - idle_chatterer

Indeed there is much weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth over here just now, it is bad news for manufacturing in Victoria. However the fact remains that locally manufactured cars have failed to reflect the changing market either locally or for export. Add to that high labour costs, high taxes and free trade and the prospects aren't rosy.

The cars: Ford Falcon, Holden Commodore aren't bad, they just miss the market zeitgeist, people want SUVs. The Falcon has been offered with the (relatively) economical 4Cyl 2.0L 200PS Ecoboost engine but is a sales flop in this guise, the 4.0L 6Cyl being the preference for those who still buy them. Similarly the smallest Commodore engine is a 3.0L V6, no diesel options for either. IIRC Holden don't even bother to tell you the CO2/mpg figures in their brochures... At least the Camry comes as a hybrid.

Then there's the build quality, there is no comparison between a Falcon which feels like a 1990s throwback and a Mondeo or a Focus when it comes to interior ambience, Honda, VAG, BMW, Merc even Subaru are in a different league with Holden falling somewhere in between IMHO.

Toyota on the other hand are the default transport choice for many, the Camry is a very common company car option and is currently locally made - no diesel option but a useful hybrid. The Corolla (Auris) is hugely popular but made overseas I think ? I suspect Toyota's problem is the lack of manufacturing scale that the component industry will face when Ford and Holden close. I think that Mitsubushi closed down in about 2008.

In the end Aussies want the same cars as Europeans and no longer want large RWD saloons (sedans) with soft suspension, massive thirsty engines and plasticky interiors. I wonder if the 1000mile road trip has been replaced by a cheap plane journey ?

Edited by idle_chatterer on 12/02/2014 at 12:06