What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Warranty - Galad

It seems that in Ireland new Fords now come with a 5 year (100k miles) warranty.....but not the UK?

Ford Warranty - RT

The local country importer can set whatever warranty terms they wish, for any brand - so never assume that UK warranty length is the same anywhere else - it may be the same but no guarantee.

Ford Warranty - coopshere
But is it a manufacturers warranty or a dealer warranty. I believe that in the UK there is only a one year manufacturers warranty, the extra two years are supplied by the dealer.
Ford Warranty - Auristocrat

The five year warranty is a promotional offer and only at participating dealers - see www.ford.ie/141Promotions

Ford Warranty - daveyK_UK

A 5 year warranty would put a Ford car on my next purchase list

Ford Warranty - SteveLee

It's about ****** time the big manufacturer stood by their products - we should all boycott manufacturers who only offer standard one, two or three year warrantys and buy KIAs until the likes of Ford buck their ideas up!

Ford Warranty - gordonbennet

It's about ****** time the big manufacturer stood by their products - we should all boycott manufacturers who only offer standard one, two or three year warrantys and buy KIAs until the likes of Ford buck their ideas up!

Could not agree more, especially in the 3 year purchase era when garages then try to sell worthless aftermarket warranties to those very cars.

Car buyers are strange people, they'll buy a product the maker themselves won't guarantee to last and they'll be voting turkey like for their own Christmas again next year too.

Ford Warranty - RT

Car manufacturers just aren't interested in the used market, they're only interested commercially with the initial buyer who typically only keeps the car 3 years.

Any extension to the warranty has a cost - why put the price up for the initial buyer who won't keep the car any longer - indeed car manufacturers want everyone to change their cars as often as possible.

I prefer to change my car when the main production cycle changes, typically every 6 years, so 5/7 year warranties are ideal.

Ford Warranty - KB.

I can't see that it would cost that much to give the extra two years warranty given that you're far more likely to have dealer servicing for the extra two years and in doing so keep you tied in to the brand. As it happens the extra two years Ford warranty isn't at all expensive (ditto their prepaid servicing plan). So much so that it was inferred recently, when I made a sales enquiry locally, that the inclusion of the warranty and servicing plan could readily be part of the haggling process during a new car purchase.

The Nissan arrangements are far more expensive which is a shame as I'd look at a QQ if Nissan showed good faith in their product and warranted it for longer..

Agreed five years warranty - thus expressing confidence in their products - would incline me towards a manufacturer. It's the expression of confidence as much as the expense that would impress me......providing the warranty was comprehensive enough to make it worth the paper it was written on - and providing the manufacturer didn't wriggle out of claims at every turn.

RT may wish to change frequently and not feel that he is subsizing the longer term user whereas I don't wish to subsidize short term users. The cost of changing within three years versus keeping it for, say, five years may be debatable but the way I see it is if manufacturers as diverse as Hyundai, Kia, Vauxhall, Subaru, Chevrolet, Toyota can manage to stay in business with a 5 yr warranty, then I feel inclined to give them my support. Honda currently do a five year warranty, servicing and breakdown package for a very reasonable five or six hundred pounds, effectively giving a free 5 yr warranty...why can't the others?

Edited by KB. on 02/02/2014 at 21:21

Ford Warranty - alan1302

Car manufacturers just aren't interested in the used market, they're only interested commercially with the initial buyer who typically only keeps the car 3 years.

Any extension to the warranty has a cost - why put the price up for the initial buyer who won't keep the car any longer - indeed car manufacturers want everyone to change their cars as often as possible.

Hyundai have a 5 year warranty and they are not really cars that are expensive to start with it.

Ford Warranty - RT

Hyundai have a 5 year warranty and they are not really cars that are expensive to start with it.

Hyundai/Kia have a very different philosophy - they know they have to work to achieve and then maintain a good reputation.

If you analyse global car sales, excluding commercial vehicles, Hyundai/Kia overhauled Ford, Nissan and Honda some years ago and overtook the mighty GM in 2012 - now 3rd to Toyota and VAG.

Ford Warranty - alan1302

Hyundai/Kia have a very different philosophy - they know they have to work to achieve and then maintain a good reputation.

If you analyse global car sales, excluding commercial vehicles, Hyundai/Kia overhauled Ford, Nissan and Honda some years ago and overtook the mighty GM in 2012 - now 3rd to Toyota and VAG.

Even Toyota have started offering a 5 year warranty now and they do have a good reputation already - I think as customers we are expecting more and slowly but surely companies are giving that.

Ford Warranty - Avant

I think it'll come, gradually. It wasn't that long ago that most cars had only one year's manufacturer's warranty. Hyundai and Kia have been joined by Toyota (5 years) and Renault (4), and Vauxhall have their 100,000 mile deal for the first owner.

Ford Warranty - artill

In 1999 i bought a 6 month old Peugeot 406 V6 (ex Peugeot car with 1,500 miles on it) with 6 months left on its 1 year warrenty. After a few years my father took it on, and now its approaching 15, he still has it. A 3 year warrent would have saved me nothing. A 5 year warrenty would have saved me the cost of a new radiator ( there was too much flex in the early ones), A 7 year warrenty wouldnt have saved any more. To be honest a 14 year warrent would not have had any more use.

In 2005 i bought a Vauxhall Monaro. The 3 year warrenty went unused. A 5 year warrenty would have saved me £130 for a central locking unit. A 7 year warrent nothing more, and i cant see it costing me a lot to keep going forward.

In 2008 i bought a Peugeot 107. I passed it to a friend after a year, but it still hasnt had anything fail that a warrenty would cover.

Unless you buy a diesel i dont see the need for a long warrenty these days. Afterall the cost of the warrent must be part of the cost of the car.

My most recent purchase was a 6 year old S2000 2 and a half years ago. Of course nothing has failed sinse, except a speaker! hardly something i need a warrenty for.

Ford Warranty - alan1302

Unless you buy a diesel i dont see the need for a long warrenty these days. Afterall the cost of the warrent must be part of the cost of the car.

A warranty is an insurance against something that could go wrong and cost a lot to fix. I had a 2006 Fiat Grande Punto with a 3 year warranty. The power steering failed after 4 years and if I had a 5 year warrnty as I do on my i10 I would have saved around £950.

Ford Warranty - artill

Obviously there are some expensive parts on all cars, but the things that will cause real financial hardship are largely associated with diesels.

Yes a long warrenty would be great for free, but you have to accept its priced into the car.

Ford Warranty - KB.

"Obviously there are some expensive parts on all cars, but the things that will cause real financial hardship are largely associated with diesels".

Or maybe DSG gearboxes, ABS brake compnents, or the power steering, as mentioned just one post previously. And I happen to see they're not specifically diesel related! Can't agree with you at all. A couple of £1,500 bills with any of the items noted and you'd not be saying that either.

"Yes a long warrenty would be great for free, but you have to accept its priced into the car"

I think we're all just about bright enough to know you get nothing for free. It's just that *some* of us are saying that for what we're asked to pay for our new cars we think that some errant manufacturer should stand by the integrity of their products by offering the same 5 yr **WARRANTY** as offered by those highlighted and that the latter seem to be disposed to doing so without inflated prices.....and, indeed, in the case of Hyundai, by offering 5 yrs RAC Brkdn & Recovery as well or in the case of Kia...7yrs....or in the case of Vauxhall, a lifetime warranty - and none of the above are, as far as I can see, discernably dearer than the ones that give a three year warranty.

Edited by KB. on 03/02/2014 at 00:36

Ford Warranty - artill

KB, you are right, DSGs are not related to diesels, and can be financially cripling. And i am sure these are a few other parts that can cost BIG money, but my point is, if you stick to good manufacurers, and simple products you are far less likely to need a warrenty. However most of the real horror stories you read or hear about are from modern diesels.

I doubt many people claim on their toyota or Subaru 5 year warrentys. So it costs them very little to offer them. There are quite a few other manufacturers who wouldnt be such a good position!

Ford Warranty - skidpan

If Ford offerered a 5 year warranty and like the existing warranty it is 1 year manufacturer and the remainder dealer it would be a waste of time and a total con. Ever owned one, after year one trim is excluded but Ford clasify most components as trim. Even the handbrake mechanism is classifiedd as trim and the seat tilting mechanism on a 3 door is trim, its clear to me that these 2 are clearly not trim but Ford insist they are.

I doubt many people claim on their toyota or Subaru 5 year warrentys. So it costs them very little to offer them. There are quite a few other manufacturers who wouldnt be such a good position!

I think this is what perplexes some of us, what you state is blindingly obvious but seemingly not to all...if a maker of good advertising repute won't warrant their cars for as long as some others (who have honourably aired their problems/failings and always stand by their product), then surely even the most obtuse car buyer should be able to see the writing writ large upon the wall.

For many (most?) of the 3 year warranty makers customers they're not in the least bothered about any longer than 3 as they will renew or get a new company car issued, if it fails miserably in service they get something different to play with for a few days and seem to almost enjoy the situation sometimes (read here often enough), after 3 years nobody, manufacturer included, is remotely interested.

Why 3 year old car buyers risk things like DSG, ESG etc or actively seek out cars with inferior warranties (and by association inferior products) is beyond me.

Ford Warranty - pd

Last Subaru I had pass through was a 4 year old Legacy which had all the warranty work paperwork with it - it had received about £5000 worth of claims on about 10 different items!

Ford Warranty - Snakey

KB, you are right, DSGs are not related to diesels, and can be financially cripling. And i am sure these are a few other parts that can cost BIG money, but my point is, if you stick to good manufacurers, and simple products you are far less likely to need a warrenty. However most of the real horror stories you read or hear about are from modern diesels.

Have you ever tried claiming on a toyota warranty! They're as useless as any third party warranty. They try to charge you for 'diagnostic' work before agreeing to anything. After 3 months of them faffing about with my car I gave up, I'll be taking it to an independent and just paying them to fix it.

Snakey your opinion couldn't be further than mine, or from what i read here, the vast majority of people.

My Hilux, out of warranty, developed a injector rattle, dealer and Toyota UK couldn't have been better, had it in (free courtesy car for me) tested injectors and whilst there slipped a new set of injectors and fuel lines in, reflashed the ECU, wash and valet, and ''sorry for the trouble Mr Bennet.''

On the job sheet was a cost of just under £2000 in parts alone, not even a hint that i should contribute a single pfennig...but then almost all people who have trouble with their Toyota (that have been serviced and taken reasonable care of) find exactly the same.

Ford Warranty - Bromptonaut

Snakey your opinion couldn't be further than mine, or from what i read here, the vast majority of people.

My Hilux, out of warranty, developed a injector rattle, dealer and Toyota UK couldn't have been better, had it in (free courtesy car for me) tested injectors and whilst there slipped a new set of injectors and fuel lines in, reflashed the ECU, wash and valet, and ''sorry for the trouble Mr Bennet.''

On the job sheet was a cost of just under £2000 in parts alone, not even a hint that i should contribute a single pfennig...but then almost all people who have trouble with their Toyota (that have been serviced and taken reasonable care of) find exactly the same.

Work friend had similar experience when some suspension bushings on her Yaris failed. Admittedly she was getting a seven y.o car serviced at franchise so maybe some goodwill expectation of future business involved.

She also combines being a firebrand with abilty to turn a hetero male to jelly at 20 paces.

Ford Warranty - Snakey

I bought a toyota due to this saintly reputation. The reality is they are no better than any other manufacturer with the occasional exception.

My toyota warrantee'd car developed a fault within a month of buying it. Initial garage couldn't be less helpful and wanted £80 to even look at it. Second toyota garage had a look at it and basically can't find the fault, so effectively gave up and have left me with a car I'll have to fix myself.

I see this on the toyota forums about their excellent 'goodwill' etc, but all they seem to do is fix inherent faults with their cars. In other words covering their backsides.

I would rate my experiences with Ford and Vauxhall on a par with toyota. Toyota obviously seem to have the undeserved reputation from long ago a bit like VW.

I voiced my unhappiness with both dealers and toyota themselves. Not a reply from any of them.

You actually wrote to Toyota UK following a similar non response from the dealer and had no response from head office either?

I suggest you write personally to the managing director at Toyota UK, enclosing copies of the letters which went unanswered...i'd like to be a fly on the wall when he or she opens them.

I don't agree with you about how Toyota deal with customer's problems, my experiences and those of my family couldn't be more different.

Edited by gordonbennet on 05/02/2014 at 16:51

Ford Warranty - Snakey

Life's too short to keep on with it. I've learned my lesson not to buy toyota in the future, or at least buy out of warranty and with my eyes open. I'm sure toyota couldn't give a toss whether I'm a happy customer or not, someone else will come along and buy their cars instead of me.

It amazes me when people think toyota are showing goodwill when they're only addressing faults they know about in the first place!