mk5 fiesta facelift model - inlet manifold gasket leaking coolant - Np86

Hi all,

Hoping you guys can help me out. Ive got a pretty fast coolant leak which seems to be coming form the inlet manifolt gasket. Its on the drivers side at the back of the engine block, just behind the dipstick. I wouldn't mind having a crack at it myself to save a few £ and learn as ive only recently took aninterest in a bit of motoring DIY. Would this be a too big of a job for a novice, would I be better off just paying a mechanic or is it doable?

Also would anyone have any links to a youtube video or step by step guide or something on the internet to help me out? I couldnt find anything.

Cheers,

Niall

mk5 fiesta facelift model - inlet manifold gasket leaking coolant - Cyd

Step 1: buy a Haynes manual. 20 quid well invested. Go to your nearest Halfords or use eBay.

mk5 fiesta facelift model - inlet manifold gasket leaking coolant - skidpan

Anything is doable but for some jobs you need special tools which can make it impossible without access to them.

Just remember that mechanics are normal people, they are not superhumans, they had to start somewhere.

Haynes manuals are invaluable.

Thanks guys, i'll get a haynes manual and give it a shot! i'l let you know how i get on

Hi again,

I got my coolant leak fixed but have more problems now! I thik my water pump is gone but not sure. I was getting hot air before i fixed the leak so presumed it was working fine then but now im not getting hot air and the water in the expansion tank and pipe coming out of the expansion tank do not heat up. The system isnt blocked because i flushed it out and i checked the thermostat, also heater valve is brand new and was working fine before the leak too.

Before i fixed the leak i tried k-seal to stop the leak and im thinking maybe i used too much and blocked up the pump or busted it. It took alot of water to wash all the k-seal out of the system after the leak was fixed. Im thinking the water is just sitting in the system and not circulating so muct be the pump? Any tips?

Thanks again.

mk5 fiesta facelift model - inlet manifold gasket leaking coolant - Cris_on_the_gas

sounds more like you have got an air lock in the cooling system caused by draining it and re filling.

Run the car with Radiator cap off until up to normal operating temperature. Any air will get forced out, just check coolant level does not drop rapidly during this.

Good luck

Thanks i'll give that a shot.

Thanks for the advice, I think it was just and airlock. I replaced the thermostat and thermostat housing. Then topped up the system and got it up to operating temp so the thermostat opened. A few bubbles were forced out when the engine heated up with the help of pinching the hoses to dislodge and trapped air. I took it for a quick drive, 10 mins or so and got it up to 50mph with no problems. Fingers crossed it stays that way.

Thanks again!

mk5 fiesta facelift model - inlet manifold gasket leaking coolant - thunderbird

I took it for a quick drive, 10 mins or so and got it up to 50mph with no problems.

WOW. 0 - 50 mph in 10 minutes, how do you cope with such performance.

mk5 fiesta facelift model - inlet manifold gasket leaking coolant - Cris_on_the_gas

WOW. 0 - 50 mph in 10 minutes, how do you cope with such performance.

Hey Thunderbird, we don't all drive it like we stole it !

dont be a d*ck