What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Fusion, 1.6 petrol, 2004 - starts but is like the throttle is not connected - Dodgey

Apart from lousy fuel consumption, 28mpg on the M5 yesterday at 3000 to 3500 rpm. No other probs except for the following. When starting after use (engine warm or hot) it fires up and ticks over but there is absolutely no response to the throttle? It may flood and stall if the pedal is pushed to the floor, but why is there no throttle response at all? I had a diags test which appeared to show nothing at all but a "failed response from sensor". After a few times it starts and runs normally, no missing or rough running..

All hints and tips gratefully rcvd!

Cheers

Dodgey

Ford Fusion, 1.6 petrol, 2004 - starts but is like the throttle is not connected - craig-pd130

The diagnostic test should have told you which sensor was not responding, but my guess is that there's probably a throttle position sensor which tells the ECU the position of the throttle butterfly. Sounds like the sensor has gone duff.

Ford Fusion, 1.6 petrol, 2004 - starts but is like the throttle is not connected - FP

"starts but is like the throttle is not connected"

That's exactly it - there is no physical connection between the pedal and the fuel system in modern cars.

As Craig says, it's probably a sensor that's failed.

Ford Fusion, 1.6 petrol, 2004 - starts but is like the throttle is not connected - elekie&a/c doctor

I would get the battery tested.

Ford Fusion, 1.6 petrol, 2004 - starts but is like the throttle is not connected - Dodgey

Hi and thanks for the suggestion, you were the only one to suggest this, is there something you know? :-) Possible low residual voltage means the sensor is acting up but fine when running?

best regards

Dodgey

Thanks for the heads up guys!

Dodgey

Ford Fusion, 1.6 petrol, 2004 - starts but is like the throttle is not connected - elekie&a/c doctor

I have seen a few cars recently with electronic throttle issues,Fiesta,C-max and an X type jaguar.All have been fixed by renewing the battery.Under cranking,the battery voltage drops below a critical level and upsets the throttle actuation system.hth

Which would also explain why there is a small time lapse prior to the starter kicking in! and the central locking sounds as though it's making that little "shoosh" noise as the starter actuall spins up. Fascinating stuff, many thanks. The extra cold weather would reduce the battery performance anyway. That is why the diags didn't show anything and I had no lights on. In fact thinking about it, the dash doesn't set for a couple of seconds either!

I get it tested, it is I think the original so 10 years old!

I love to get to the bottom of these things, many thanks again

Dodgey