Opal Corsa B Sport 1995 - C14SE 1995 emissions - Ukhozi

C14SE High Emissions

I have a 1995 Corsa B Sport with C14SE engine. (no EGR)
I have renewed in the last 18 months or so.;

Ignition module
Plugs
Leads
Crank sensor
idle control valve
Throttle position sensor and removed the three way connector as per GM recommendation
Air flow sensor
Air filter
Lambda sensor
Skimmed the head and new gaskets, bolts and seals following a gasket blowout between #3&4.
Filter is clean.
recent oil and filter change.

Coolant consumption minimal, oil consumption 1L per 6,000Km

Failed test on High emissions;

CO 7.82% Idle
CO 12.15% Idle accelerated
Lambda 0.685
opacity? 9.7 M1

Only spec I can find is 172g/km. as std.

The wife drives this on motorways most days 130Km a day and has at times complained of very high tick over of 2,000rpm which lasts for several minuets, sometimes until she switches off, sometimes it continues. but I drove it for two days and not a blip, just goes like stink!
High fuel consumption has always been a problem with 20mpg 11L/100km being normal.
Colour on all 4 plugs 'beige', normal.
I read somewhere 35 mpg 6.5L/100km should be normal.
No EM light, no codes. nothing on paperclip test.

Any ideas

Last edited by Ukhozi; Today at 11:04.

<*** id="editimg_5002978" title="Edit / Delete" src="http://www.migweb.co.uk/forums/clear.gif" alt="Edit / Delete" /> Edit Post <*** id="replyimg_5002978" title="Quick reply to this message" src="http://www.migweb.co.uk/forums/clear.gif" alt="Quick reply to this message" /> Reply <*** id="quoteimg_5002978" title="Reply With Quote" src="http://www.migweb.co.uk/forums/clear.gif" alt="Reply With Quote" /> Reply With Quote <*** id="mq_image_5002978" title="Multi-Quote This Message" src="http://www.migweb.co.uk/forums/images/buttons/multiquote_40b.png" alt="Multi-Quote This Message" />

Opal Corsa B Sport 1995 - C14SE 1995 emissions - elekie&a/c doctor

The system is most definitely running too rich.CO at idle should be less than 0.5 %.Next step is to find someone that can plug into the diagnostic socket to give live data .This car may not have the 16 pin obd socket ,possibly the older style.You mention the head has been off,are you sure the valve timing is correct?hth

Opal Corsa B Sport 1995 - C14SE 1995 emissions - skidpan

Your car is way too high on CO emissions. It would fail an MOT plus it would also fail a road side check and be impounded.

Since the car is 19 years old its probably not worth spending much on it unless it has sentimental value.

A visit to a recomended garage for a quote to carry out the necessary work should be your first step before spending another penny on it.

It DID fail the ITV (MoT) that’s the problem.

After all the work that I have done and parts I have fitted I just don’t see the wood for the trees so to speak.

Cam timing is spot on, car starts and goes very well. Head skimmed, not using water or oil,

I'm in Spain and the only road side check the Guardia do is alcohol and documents.

The car IS 19 years old and unless someone can come up with the 10 to 12, 000€ to buy a new one or I win the lottery I will have to keep her going for another 19 years, bearing in mind we do not have rust problems here.

Having spent only 1,200€ on the car four years ago and some 400€ since, it has been economical motoring and very reliable. I do not scrap a car just because it’s getting on in years; the wife might take the same attitude towards me.

I prefer older cars; they were BUILT and not chucked together with plastic bits. (I also have 1987 BMW E30, 1987 Mercedes 2.3-16V Cosworth and the worst car I have ever owned, a 2001 Mercedes A170 CDi Auto.

I am a retired mechanic, I just can’t put my finger on it and I was hoping someone might pop up and say, “aha, I know just what that is, had the same thing on my C14SE, it’s….”.

I will check, but as an afterthought, would the blown gasket (between 3&4) have damaged the Lambda sensor?

Edited by Ukhozi on 13/01/2014 at 12:41

I prefer older cars; they were BUILT and not chucked together with plastic bits.

Don't pretend that a 19 year old Corsa is better built than a "modern" car. Its a cheap disposable car that has lived way longer that it realistically should have.

Having been driving for almost 40 years I can tell you without any doubt that modern cars are built way better than older ones, the only downside is their complexity and the cost to fix them. IMHO the car that was the perfect mix between build quality and simplicity was the Mk 2 Golf. Even today a good GTi is a cracking drive and will keep up with modern traffic and manage a 1/2 decent mpg figure yet be simple enough for a reasonably competent DIY mechanic to keep on the road.

A 19 year old Corsa does not in any way match that.

Opal Corsa B Sport 1995 - C14SE 1995 emissions - jc2

A dead cat? Also,IIRC,Opel of that age used a one wire EGO sensor and relied on earthing thro' the exhaust manifold-not good.

Edited by jc2 on 13/01/2014 at 13:19

Amazing what you find when the wife actually lets you have the car for more than five minuets to check the levels.

Right front indicator bulb holder crusty so didn't work, cleaned and OK now.

Half the dash light bulbs useless, include the EM light, so now I have codes on paper clip test.

Cig lighter and reversing light not working but fuse OK?

Codes now are;

17? I can't find a 17 code anywhere.

22; TPS Voltage too high? I guess that is the 'tick over screw in the throttle stop.

44; Lambda sensor too weak? but reading are too higjh on CO?

I have cleaned the connector which was a bit oily.

I also found #1 and #3 plug lead connectors were a bit loose on the cable so I have re-crimped them, seems OK now.

Anyway of checking the CAT short of buying a new front pipe/catalyst?

Edited by Ukhozi on 14/01/2014 at 13:46

Opal Corsa B Sport 1995 - C14SE 1995 emissions - madf

Take it to a garage and ask them to do a pre MOT emissions test?

Or borrow a tester.

Take it to a garage and ask them to do a pre MOT emissions test?

Or borrow a tester.

Unlikely to be the Cat. Older cars without one do not give CO readings as high as yours.

All I know is, when I compare the build quality and metal on my 1987 Mercedes 2.3-16V and the 2001 Mercedes A170 CDi, there is no comparison to be made, the 1987 car wins hands down on being solid, reliable and long lasting, my 2001 1700 CDi is already shot at 12 years and falling apart but the Cossie has another 20 plus years in her and the same goes for my 1987 BMW E30 320i, had to have a head swap due to cam feed oil pipe blockage but apart from that, solid and both very DIY freindly as is the Corsa apart from it b***** electrics, no wonder a few guys have swapped to carburators.

All I know is, when I compare the build quality and metal

Unfortunately the thickness of metal has nothing to do with build quality. My 1964 Anglia had steel way thicker than my Leon but the steel used today is much better quality and design puts the strength where its needed. The Anglia could never have been considered to be a well built car.

Unfortunately you are comparing two very different cars. The A class was always a pile of tat that should never have worn the Mercedes badge.

OK, lets compair my E30 with ,my brother-in-laws E36, E30 wins hands down.

Recent shunt between my E30 and a Opal Mevira, new corner for my CHROME bumper and a complete rear end for the Opal. I know which I would rather be in. All this talk of crumple zones is all well and good unless you are in the middle of a crumple zone.

ANYWAY OTT.

Codes I have managed to get are 22, 44 and 71, (not 17)

but untill I fix te Autosnap I can't reset the codes to see if I have fixed anything.

Anyway,,,, Thanks for all the help and suggestions so far. I managed to loose code 44, (lambda weak) so happy about that but 22 and 71 remain, possinbly a wiring fault rather than a sensor problem?.

Went and saw a mate in a garage who has all the kit and after he borrowed MY10 pin to 16 pin adaptor we got the same readings, very basic stuff but the code 44 has definetly gone now and left 22 and 71 so I have boiught on-line a new air temp sensor and TPS, we will see what that does.

Update;

Autosnap doesn't read GM J1962 codes, bummer.

TPS arrived Friday but when I went to fit yesterday it I noticed there was a slot in the throttle spindle but nothing to connect the spindle to the internal 'pips' of the sensor, I guess there must have been a sliding tab that connected the two so I made a new one from some plastic scrap. I still get code 22 though, I have adjusted the throttle stop up and down but from what I read that is just the stall speed setting and should be set with the TPS and ICV disconnected and the TPS is self adjusting to that position and then relates it's actual position relative to that.

ATS arrived this morning after wife departed so I will fit that this evening and hope I loose code 71 at least.

Edited by Ukhozi on 27/01/2014 at 13:28

ATS has cleared code 71 so now it's down to code 22, TPS voltage too high.

I have replaced the TPS and fitted a blade into the shaft that was missing and adjusted the stop screw on the butterfly from just touching to 4mm up and still code 22. all the readings on the 3 way plug are what they should be, ground, 5v and return volyage of about .05v.+-

Is there a set position I'm not seeing anywhere?

Up date;

Been playing with the TPS and both old and new ones work but the two pips inside are at different positions, I can get the required 0.42V on the blue wire, (ECU ref voltage) and I have 5v and ground but at 1/3rd throttle or the tps is 10mm from the mounting holes, on the old one it is les, about 15 degrees but still too low. is the bit that fts in the spindle slot just a bar or is it more complex than that?

Managed to blag a complete C14SE throttle body including TPS and ICV from Ebay Israel of all places and only 18 pounds too INC POSTAGE. So week or so and should have it sorted, just hope the emissions come good.

Managed to clear all three codes at last. so car is now running better than ever but still juicy for a 1400cc car. Just need to get test re-bokked and emissions done.

I give up! everything was fine until wife drove it,5 km up the road and she gets the EML on, so when she gets home and I read 22 and 44 I'm stumped, cleared the codes, checked the connections, earths, voltages etc, run the engine, revved it and no light. I bet she will come home with the EML on again.

Opal Corsa B Sport 1995 - C14SE 1995 emissions - lisbon_road

The weakest area on these is the single wire from the lambda sensor that is supposed to earth through the exhaust. Seems a bad idea. As a suggestion, try using a multi wire sensor which would have an earth and a signal wire. The earth/return can be connected to something on the engine, ideally where there is another one with a nice shakeproof washer or something. If there are any heater wires for the sensor just leave them be. A decent secondhand sensor will be fine. That might be part of the problem especially with such drastic overfuelling. Fault codes can be a bit misleading. Hang in there, it'll be one of those problems that is just suddenly fixed and swapping sensors with a scrap car might be another way - if you can! Good luck.

I am currently waiting with baited breath for a complete throttle body c/w sensors to arrive, we'll see what happens then, the 71 code for the lambda went after I cleaned all the oil from the connector and hasn't returned, The TPS high voltage code, I was wondering if the high voltage was from the WOT setting as it is above 5V on WOT (6.2v) but still 0.42V on tick over? Could this also affect the TPS reading?

Opal Corsa B Sport 1995 - C14SE 1995 emissions - mfarrow

Try cleaning up the negative connections, engine straps, gearbox straps etc. Undo them and put them back, high resistance joints can develop without you realising it or being able to see it. It's only 12V after all, not a lot of voltage to burn through bad joints.

The bit nobody knows ya know. This is the throttle spindle to TPS interface. it's not a straight bar as I made but H sectioned, so I have had to over adjust by 3mm to compensate, the new/old throttle body will rectify this.

[IMG]img.photobucket.com/albums/v219/Ukhozi/interface3_...g[/IMG][IMG]img.photobucket.com/albums/v219/Ukhozi/Interface1_...g[/IMG]

Edited by Ukhozi on 12/02/2014 at 17:06

All seems to be sorted now, problem with the TPS has been cured by the fitting of a second hand throttle body and TPS with a new ICV, with the voltage set to 0.42V and 4.6 at WOT it now runs smooth and has lost that 'jerky' take off I had.

problem with the panel lights going off when I turned on the heater was the triple diplay plug loose. Obviously pulled it when I had it all apart to change the heated rear window warning bulb. (SOD of a job)

Edited by Ukhozi on 19/02/2014 at 10:21

Nope. back to starting poiunt.

Emmissions still high, fuel consumption still high, changed ATS for a second hand proven one, still coming on after 10 minuets driving steady and clears when I switch off.

Plug colour is good.

Cam timing is spot on.

All sensors are OK no faut codes.

Lambda sensor connector elliminated by using an inline connector., no change.

ECU removed opened and checked (blue chip) all seems OK and no corroded contact or iffy wires.

No sign of over fueling.

Totally puzzeled.

Edited by Ukhozi on 01/03/2014 at 15:30

Tracked down the correct ECU and on its way and a pair of bonnet bumpers, well you never know, might be the problem, not!
Still getting the ATS light/code up after 10 minuets despite being on the third ATS and then clears when I park. weird?
Colortune now to hand and a job for the morning, if it shows blue I am really scratching what is left of my hair out.

ECU changed and the air temp sender code no longer comes on after 5 minuets so that is cleared. New Oxy sensor fitted and connector (waterproof upgrade, and readings are now down to just on 1.0, so I have made a new appointment for an ITV on the 18th and here is hoping.

PASSED!, Thanks for all advice. down to 0.48 after a bit of 'Italian tuning' by the tester, blew a load of crap out the back. just told be off about the last joint in the system before the tail section, needs a pinch tighter.

wife now reports fuel consumption down too, great