What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
ford galaxy 2.8 - do you need clips on vacuum hoses - dipsomaniac

i did not fit clips when i replaced vacuum hoses as rac man said i didn't need them. now i am thinking that if they are not needed why did vw/ford fit them?

ford galaxy 2.8 - do you need clips on vacuum hoses - craig-pd130

What are the vacuum hoses for?

On most turbodiesel-engined cars, critical components such as turbocharger vanes, exhaust-gas recycling valves etc are controlled by vacuum systems (fed from the vac pump which also feeds the brake servo), and the hoses for these invariably do NOT have clips on them.

Providing the hoses are still flexible and pushed firmly onto their mounting spigots, it should be fine without them.

ford galaxy 2.8 - do you need clips on vacuum hoses - dipsomaniac

thanks for the reply. car is 15 years old now and hoses starting to fail so replacing them with silicone. have replaced a couple of the hoses on the intake/evap side and a couple of the smaller hoses on the right of the v6 engine above the themostat switches.

i think i still have an air leak somewhere as i have a hunting/rough idle problem. which is ok for a while when i clear the fault codes but comes back a couple of days later