What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Warranty lengths - RT

I'm having trouble with keeping up with changes to length of warranties.

At one time it was easy - Kia 7 years, Hyundai 5 years, everyone else 3 years. Then Toyota upped to 5 years and now I find that Subaru and Honda are 5 years including servicing (at a charge for Honda).

Any other brands now offering 5 years or more original warranty ?

Warranty lengths - Brit_in_Germany

Mazdas are coming with an 8 year warranty in Germany. This now applies to the whole model range. Like any other marketing trick, the manufacturers will try anything to drum up business if sales are not going too well.

Warranty lengths - daveyjp
Vauxhall. Lifetime or 100,000 miles for first owner.

Proving a component was faulty at manufacture after maybe 20 years and 99,000 miles will be an interesting discussion!
Warranty lengths - Collos25

After reading the full warranty details for Kia there are so many exeptions it is very complicated to understand, the battery is only covered for 24 months the main warranty is 3years or 100000 miles different times for electrical parts and so on.

After reading the full warranty details for Kia there are so many exeptions it is very complicated to understand, the battery is only covered for 24 months the main warranty is 3years or 100000 miles different times for electrical parts and so on.

Warranty lengths - Gordon17

There aren't really many exceptions on the Kia warranty - 2 years on the battery, 3 years on the audio equipment, and wear and tear parts like wiper blades and clutch plates.

Warranty lengths - daveyK_UK

Dacia - 3 years or 60,000 miles as standard

pay £395 to extend it to 5 years or 60,000 miles

pay £850 to extend it to 7 years or 100,000 miles

Fiat is still 3 years or 60,000 miles (they did make the Bravo a 4 year warranty but it seems to have stopped).

Citroen and Peugeot still 3 years or 60,000 miles

Ford 3 years or 60,000 miles

Nissan 3 years or 60,000 miles

Different in Germany but having read the Dacia 5 and 7 year exceptions its not really a warranty at all,are cars not covered in the UK under SOGA.

Mazdas are coming with an 8 year warranty in Germany. This now applies to the whole model range. Like any other marketing trick, the manufacturers will try anything to drum up business if sales are not going too well.

But its limited to 150000 km with the basic full warranty 3 years or 100000 kms.

Warranty lengths - oldtoffee

I think the devil is in the detail and each manufacturer can wriggle on what is fair wear and tear. My Santa Fe has 5 years, 100,000 miles but only 60,000 miles on items such as the shocks which for my 7 seat self leveller is £2000 plus fitting.Subaru exclude the clutch plate in all their primary blurb which sort of suggests everything else is covered.

Edited by oldtoffee on 08/01/2014 at 20:46

Warranty lengths - RT

I think the devil is in the detail and each manufacturer can wriggle on what is fair wear and tear. My Santa Fe has 5 years, 100,000 miles but only 60,000 miles on items such as the shocks which for my 7 seat self leveller is £2000 plus fitting.Subaru exclude the clutch plate in all their primary blurb which sort of suggests everything else is covered.

Recent Hyundai's are unlimited mileage for 5 years - but the specific item limits still apply.

Unlimited providing you are not a taxi or commercial and you have the vehicle serviced by Hyundai at their prices at specific times it leaves them plenty of wriggle room.

Warranty lengths - RT

Unlimited providing you are not a taxi or commercial and you have the vehicle serviced by Hyundai at their prices at specific times it leaves them plenty of wriggle room.

Taxi/commercial exclusion and servicing requirement applies to almost ALL car warranties from day one - so nothing unusual there.

I don't find Hyundai servicing expensive - the bulk of the cost is the high-specification oil that most modern cars require.

Going to an independent is possible as long as they're VAT-registered, use approved parts and completed all the scheduled tasks - but the saving is small and has to be balanced by the loss of goodwill at a franchised dealer on marginal warranty issues.

Warranty lengths - Auristocrat

VAG have some of the shortest coverage for what they call wear and tear items -

"Items where the lifetime of the component is or can be influenced by driving style and external factors will only be considered under the terms of the warranty for a period of six months or 6,500 miles (whichever is soonest).Beyond that limit, the defects must be classified as wear and tear and will not be covered by the Volkswagen warranty.

Components subject to wear and tear include, but are not limited to:
Brake linings and disc pads
Clutch release bearings
Clutch pressure plates and centre plates
Tyres
Wiper blades (wiper rubbers have no warranty owing to their conditions of use)
Seat and backrest covers
Floor coverings
Spark plugs
Batteries for key fobs and alarms
Light bulbs
Shock Absorbers"

Warranty lengths - RT

Those VAG exclusions are ridiculously short (non-existent for wiper blades) particularly for a manufacturer with a strong reputation for reliability, real or imagined.

How do other companies treat these components?

Warranty lengths - galileo

Hyundai warranty covers:

clutch disc 24 months/60,000 miles

brake pads 24 months/20,000 miles

v belts 24 months/unlimited mileage

wiper blades and bulbs 12 months/10,000 miles, all wheel bearings, bushes, track rod ends etc. 60 months/60,000 miles.

Full list of limitations at http://www.hyundai.co.uk/misc-pages/5_year_warranty/limited_coverage

As I have an i30 I looked this up some time ago.

Not bad for 'Korean tin' ? (built in Czech Republic).

Warranty lengths - RT

How do other companies treat these components?

The Hyundai UK 5 year unlimited mileage warranty has the following specific restrictions, other countries may vary :-

5 years/60,000 miles - Rubber components, Dampers, Suspension Joints, Wheel Bearings

2 years/60,000 miles - Clutch Disc

2 years/20,000 miles - Brake Linings

2 years/unlimited mileage - Batteries, V-belts, Cosmetic defects of paint, trim

1 year/10,000 miles - Wiper Blades, Bulbs

First scheduled service change - Oil, Air, Fuel Filters, Spark Plugs

After delivery - Glass

Sorry - gallileo beat me to it.

Edited by RT on 09/01/2014 at 21:48