What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Various - New Car??? - Replace writ off C Class Executive SE - Marklew

Hello,

I asked for some advice 8-9 months ago between a few cars and plumped for a Mercedes C Class Executive SE (45k Miles, 10 plate).

In these 8ish months I did about 14-15 thousand miles, until unfortunately I had a blow out on the M40 and was introduced to the central reservation and the car was subsequently a write off.

The car was a good drive, had everything I wanted Sat Nav, Mercedes build quality, was returning over 50 MPG (mostly motorway miles), never had a problem, was just about to come up to my service with it, so not sure how much that was going to hurt my pocket? and I feel looked good. The Executive SE is very well spec’d and great value… however now I’ve got my cheque through from the insurance my eyes have started to wonder again. I could potentially be going from 22-24k to 12-14 miles in a couple of months.

So some feedback on options, looking at approx. £15k, I want a car with under 50k on the clock, preferably auto/diesel (spot the exception!) around 50 mpg mixed driving, but happy with 40 if I like the car that much, looking to keep it approx. 3 years and I know there are no guarantees, but I don’t want any major expense in running it during this time. My shortlist is:

Same again – as above lovely car, great value, can pick a very good one up for around £13-15k depending on age (min 10 plate) and mileage (max 45k). I think the C Class sports look a lot better, but you add 2/3 grand to the costs (and I don’t really care about getting an extra 0.5 sec on 0-60), and they don’t come with sat nav as standard, therefore if I was going to go for the sport I would rather put extra towards choice no 2. And with the C Class due a face lift, the value could plummet if they bring out the new model shortly?

E Class coupe – now I’ve experienced Mercedes and liked them, I wouldn’t mind an upgrade, budget is stretching it a bit, but starting to see them within my brief for under £16k, could put a bit more in, are they worth the extra? They look amazing, the interior looks good (and well set out) and I plan on test driving one shortly (but slightly scared I will love it, bug**r the budget and buy a new one :-/).

A5 coupe S line – again, will be stretching the budget. I don’t think the console looks and smart as the Mercs, how are they practically, but always loved them, anyone who’s had comparable A5’s / E Class’s that can give a bit of feedback if the extra cost (and less spec) on the A5 is worth it or the E Class edges it?

TT – the wildcard, if my circumstances change as expected. Miss having a smaller car and enjoying my driving a bit more!!! Cost more in petrol (not ideal for the car seat, but I’m currently spending 12-15 hours a week in the car, I want something I like and enjoy)

So any feedback on the cars, running / likely service costs (if nothing major), is mileage an issue on any (would expect the Mercs and A5 to do 150k without any major problems if used on motorways and serviced correctly?), not sure about the TT? Others I’ve looked at CLS, but the interiors can be horrible and in my price range the sat nav/instruments seem really badly positioned (middle of centre console, new ones have them higher, but I can’t afford it), Jag XF, again some horrible wood/light seat combo’s, but if I found a good one then what are they like or do I stick with what I know? Discounted… BMW, don’t like the finish, think Merc and Audi feel and finish is so much better than what BMW can offer (apart from the 6 series, which again I can’t afford!), VW – hate their auto gear box, sluggish and seems to be in the wrong gear regularly and the only ones I like are cc GT’s (has a chain drive or something (I’m not very technical!) which needs changing regularly for the miles I do and it isn’t cheap and Sirrocco’s, which I would rather go for the TT if I’m going for a smaller car.

Any help, experience, advice is much appreciated!

Thanks

Mark

Various - New Car??? - Replace writ off C Class Executive SE - Ed V

Sounds a little like looking for a house between Kent and Lancashire. Too much choice!

You're obviously sold on the so-called top brands. Why?

What's wrong with a Mondeo, C5, i40 etc?

Since most of your time will be spent idling down a motorway at 70 (or will that now be 60?

See today's news), most cars can do that without any problems, in equal comfort, equally quiet (with a few exceptions) and equally reliably - the differences in reliability seem insignificant, with a few exceptions only.

Just a thought.

Various - New Car??? - Replace writ off C Class Executive SE - Collos25

Another Mercedes why settle for second best.

Various - New Car??? - Replace writ off C Class Executive SE - gordonbennet

So, the C is due for replacement.

I'm not convinced it will affect the values much, the present W204 C class, like the old W124 E class is a lovely neat handsome car, and i suspect like that particular E will be well regarded for many years yet.

MB's daliances into the banana shape haven't endeared them to everyone, personaly i think they look dreadful, CLS, W212 E Class and the latest C Class will possibly, in my humble, do for Mercedes what the later Accords and Civics have done for Honda, lost them their core regular buyers by going for latest fashion instead of keeping their quiet reserve.

Seeing how much you enjoyed the previous C, i'd be off to get another.

However, a bit worrying that you had a blow-out and that it affected the car so much it caused you a bad accident, was there a particular reason for this blow-out and why did it cause loss of control.

If you fancy a change, and if your mileage is going to reduce then Diesel might not be the default choice, a Lexus IS250 might be a nice alternative (you won't see 50mpg unless you up the budget for a hybrid), unless you need an estate.

Edited by gordonbennet on 07/01/2014 at 19:38

Various - New Car??? - Replace writ off C Class Executive SE - Marklew

Thanks for the feedback all.

Ed V - I just think that compared to Ford's, Citroen's, Hyundai's etc that some of the 'top/premium' brands are (in my personal opinion) much better (comfort, finish, feel etc) and worth that extra premium. I don't believe that you are just 'paying for a badge' (well not in all cases anyway) and the design (layout, the onboard computer, COMAND etc), general quality etc of some is worth the money. E.g. auto gear box, the one in the last Merc is the best I have ever driven (used Ford, VW and Vauxhall previously), it wasn't ever in 'the wrong gear' and if you needed a bit of punch for something the power was there without delay (this is in comfort not sport), I've been using the DSG on a Golf for 6-8000 miles over the past 18 months and unless you put it in sport it is awful (and even then it’s not the best). Again personal preference I know, but I feel worth the extra for some of the top brands.

Collos25 - thinking about it, I think I've got to agree. Now the decision is another C or upgrade to the E? Anyone had any extensive experience of both (2010-2012 model range) and is the additional cost worth it?

gordonbennet - thanks for feedback on shapes/value, and I agree, I can't see myself no longer liking it in the next 3 years I expect to keep the car. I must admit when the banana shape first came out I hated it, but it has grew on me quite a lot. (BTW I also loved the old Civics, especially the Type R).

Re the blow out, just unlucky, tyre failure in the outside lane, on a sharp bend in the motorway where there was little/no run off between lane and barrier. More of an economical writ off (as I managed to get pretty much every panel on the driver’s side, so included front and rear bumpers, bonnet, and the large panel that included the roof, skirting, driver and rear passenger doors, throw in a couple of alloys, labour and that the impact point (front right) was pushed back a bit into the wheel arch and it was sentenced to the scrap heap!), non of the airbags etc went off, so wasn't a massive impact, just caused lots of financial/labour intensive damage.

Not a fan of estate cars at all, checked out a couple of IS250’s when I went for the C Class, but haven’t driven one. Had a quick look and looks like for £15k you can pick up 2011 model under 20,000 miles, so may be another option, although 30 mpg from over 50 might hurt a bit. But as you and Collos have said, I might just stick to what I know and like, so it’s a tossup between C or E class now.

Thanks

Mark

Various - New Car??? - Replace writ off C Class Executive SE - Dabooka
As a left-field wildcat, how about the Alfa Giulietta?

We were close to buying one, until boring domestic nonsense cropped up. That was a simply sublime auto box, and can be very well spec'd. We'll worth a test drive in my view, although I accept they're 'different' to the other choices listed.

As I say, left field!