What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Please suggest - troubledbtford
Hi

I want a very reliable car . I know that I am going to choose petrol and auto coz I do around 12000 to 15000 miles a year mostly on motor ways and some city driving.

Don't want to spend on DMf and all diesel issues.

Will keep the keep the car for atleast few years and budget is 7000.

I did look around on auto trader and based on earlier suggestions i checked out honda jazz, Kia ceed, avensis,focus and fiesta.

I have also found some of these cars below and would like your recommendations .

Audi a4 2006 30000 miles for 7000
VW passat 2.0 se fsi. 4dr 2008 model 34000 miles for 6785
VW jetta 1.4 2010 39000 miles for 6979
BMW 3.0 series 318se 2006 model 39000 miles for 7000
BMW 320i se 2006 model 26500 miles for 6895
Toyota avensis 2009 model 65000 miles for 6750
Toyota avensis 2009 model 27000 miles for 7500
Honda jazz 2011 model 1.4ivtec 12000 miles for 6580.
Honda jazz approved 2010 model 13400 miles for 6895
Kia ceed 2011 model 17000 miles for 6500
Kia ceed 2007 model 45000 miles for 4800
Ford fiesta 1.4 zetec 2011model 10000 miles for 7500

The reason I have more saloons listed is because I want to get all the things like buggy in to my car and ride should be codify able on motor ways.

Am I wrong inclining towards the BMW,audi and VW's over Kia, fiesta and jazz.

My order of priorities are reliability, comfort , low maintainence cost,good mpg but I want someone to let me know what would you recommend.

Let me know what car and what mileage should I be looking for with 7000 budget and what would be a good buy even if the car is not on the list.

Thanks much in advance

Jai
Please suggest - oldroverboy.

Spend 8000 and you will pick up a brand new chevrolet aveo 1.2s.

I got a nearly new one for a friend and it is pretty good and roomy, £30 road fund licence and very roomy inside with space for a full size spare and low insurance group too!

New tyres no wear and tear and 3 full years manufacturer warranty.

Chevrolet having a clearance sale.

otherwise 2011 kia or the fiesta.

Edited by oldroverboy. on 05/01/2014 at 17:15

Please suggest - troubledbtford
Hi

Thanks for the info. I did look at the aveo but I don't think it be any good on motorways based on a reviews I read and most of my driving be on motorways.
Please suggest - bazza

For reliability, ignore the German marques you list and try out Avensis, Ceed or Jazz. Very different cars though, but reliability should be top notch and the Ceed has that long warranty. My choice would be Avensis for a lot of motorway miles

Please suggest - Collos25

DMFs are fitted to many petrol cars not just diesels Mercedes have been fitting them for years with no problems and I am almost sure the later Avensis petrol has one,As far as the humble Chevrolet is concerned I think you will find it performs admirably on motorways.

Please suggest - Brit_in_Germany

Unless I am mistaken, an automatic with a torque converter will not have a DMF.

Please suggest - madf

Oldest son bought a used BMW 316i - 60k miles - against my advice - I warned it would be unrelaible and costly to maintain.

Two years later, 3 coilpacks and new disks etc , his annual mainatence bill is >£600. He does 8k miles ayear.

You need lots of money to run up market German cars - or be very lucky.

Please suggest - skidpan

I had a BMW 1 series for 5 1/2 years. Total cost of servicing, repairs and MOT's in all that time was just under £1050. £300 of that was for a pair of new front springs.

Over the same period the wifes Focus also cost £1050, only repair was a new alternator belt, cheap motoring again.

Both were cheap motoring in my book.

Please suggest - mss1tw

A used 316i is an upmarket German car?! ;-)

Please suggest - oldroverboy.
Hi Thanks for the info. I did look at the aveo but I don't think it be any good on motorways based on a reviews I read and most of my driving be on motorways.

Bought an aveo (current model) for an old mate, he travels london to west wales to see us regularly, takes us from rickmansworth to gatwick quickly and economically. I have driven it a fair bit too, am 6'2" and 94kg and lots of room for me.

My cruze has been faultless, although road tax is higher.

Remember as new as possible and if you can get manufacturers warranty as well. but up to you.................

Please suggest - daveyK_UK

A brand new Dacia Logan MCV estate?

Find an extra £395 and extend the warranty to 5 years plus another £50 or a cd stereo.

5 years of trouble free motoring in a decent size estate.