What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Fiesta (Endura-E) - Sudden large valve clearance? - Slimey

I've got a P-Reg Ford Fiesta with Endura-E engine. Just before Christmas, on a run into London, it started running really rough. I was able to drive it home (about 100 mile), but it was sounding pretty rough the whole way.

I've just had a look at it to see if I can figure out what's wrong. Having taken the rocker cover off, I found that one of the rockers had a clearance of about 5mm! Clearly not good. I removed the rocker assembly, and checked the pushrods, but could see no damage. With the rocker assembly removed, all the valves seemed to be at the same height (i.e. one isn't stuck down / not seating properly).

What could have caused this? I did adjust the clearance to "almost touching", and the engine runs a lot quieter, but not smoothly.

Any suggestions on what I should look at next? I know I need to swap the leads (one has split over the plug), and the plugs (one has cracked ceramic), but I don't think those are the cause of the poor running...

Thanks in advance,

Simon

Ford Fiesta (Endura-E) - Sudden large valve clearance? - bathtub tom

>>swap the leads (one has split over the plug), and the plugs (one has cracked ceramic)

I'd start with new plugs and leads before looking for the problem elsewhere. You'll need to be careful removing the plug with cracked ceramic as you don't want any falling down into the combustion chamber.

I's also adjust all the tappets to their correct gaps.

Ford Fiesta (Endura-E) - Sudden large valve clearance? - Cyd

I agree with Tom, sort out the plugs and leads first. Do that this afternoon and come back to us later with the result.

Thanks - will try this (have just picked up a new set of plugs, and a set of feeler gauges from Halfords), and let you know.

Any ideas why one of the rockers went so 'gappy' all of a sudden?

Ford Fiesta (Endura-E) - Sudden large valve clearance? - Cyd

Thanks - will try this (have just picked up a new set of plugs, and a set of feeler gauges from Halfords), and let you know.

But what about the leads?

Any ideas why one of the rockers went so 'gappy' all of a sudden?

maybe the lock nut just came loose. Or was never tightened up properly in the first place. As long as there's no damage just get it set properly and don't worry too much about why.

Ford Fiesta (Endura-E) - Sudden large valve clearance? - jc2

Locknuts on Ford OHV went out with the ark but the self-locking adjusters may have come loose-you'll feel it when you adjust.

Ford Fiesta (Endura-E) - Sudden large valve clearance? - Teccy

Re valve clearence,I am guessing cyl.3 is the one with excessive gap ! .Not an uncommon fault,unfortunatley worn camshaft and follower.Re-con short block or second hand engine is the way to go.

HTH

Ford Fiesta (Endura-E) - Sudden large valve clearance? - injection doc

I agree with Teccy

very common problem and these engines suffered with cam followers wearing out rapidly untill around 2002 when modified camshafts and follwers were fitted.

Camshafts and followers cannot be replaced in situ and need the engine removing and turning upside down to strip

Ford Fiesta (Endura-E) - Sudden large valve clearance? - The-Mechanic

I agree, it seems like a follower has gone west. I've done two of these engines for exactly the same fault. The follower(s) do have a tendency to fail and the only way to repair it is as has been said, removal of the engine. On both of the ones I've done, a new camshaft kit was required as the broken follower had damaged the cam lobe.

Well, I finally around to dropping the engine out of the car, and stripping it down. This evening I got down to the tappets... 3rd tappet along from the timing belt end was completely knackered.

Not sure if I can link to photos, but here's one I stuck on facebook... fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/t1....g

Ford Fiesta (Endura-E) - Sudden large valve clearance? - skidpan

3rd tappet along from the timing belt end was completely knackered.

If its got a timing belt its not an Endura E, they have a chain. But the tappet in the photo does look like an Endura one.

3rd tappet along from the timing belt end was completely knackered.

If its got a timing belt its not an Endura E, they have a chain. But the tappet in the photo does look like an Endura one.

You're right, I did mean timing chain :)