What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Vauxhall Corsa C - stopped reversing but car still hit me - Fleabie36

HI has anyone got any idea who is liable. I was reversing out of a side street and my back passenger informed me a car was coming down the road as they saw the headlights, I stopped reversing an inch past the parked car so my break light s were on. The car coming down the street hit my bumper and scraped all the side of their car. I just have a scraped bumper and fog lense out. I was stationary and it was dark so headlights and breaklights could be seen. Any help would be gratefully received.

Vauxhall Corsa C - stopped reversing but car still hit me - FP

While you may not be wholly liable, you should bear in mind the following from the Highway Code:

"Do not reverse from a side road into a main road." (201)

"If an accident occurred due to you reversing onto a main road from a minor road then there may be the possibility of you being prosecuted for driving without due care and attention." (from www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q390.htm)

Your brake/rear lights may well have been lit, but the car was sideways on to the other driver and your lights would not have looked bright. From the side, the brake/rear lights, depending on the design of the car, may also have appeared "inset" from the furthest protruding part of the car's rear.

It's not looking too good for you. Do you at least have an independent witness to establish that you were actually stationary at the time of collision?

Edited by FP on 24/12/2013 at 23:30

Thanks for replying. It was a reverse manoeuvre from a side alley that holds garages onto a housed street, not an actual main road, with parked cars either side and parked cars either side of the entrance where I was reversing. As for not seeing the brake lights , well they are situated either side of the top of my boot . The only witnesses are the 2 people in my car and the passenger in the other vehicle (who found it highly amusing) You can tell I haven't actually driven into them as there is no dent in their panels just scrapes. I had completely stopped. My back seat passenger is furious knowing that I was stationary as he was the one informing me that a vehicle was coming down the road

Vauxhall Corsa C - stopped reversing but car still hit me - Dwight Van Driver

50 -50

dvd

Vauxhall Corsa C - stopped reversing but car still hit me - Peter D

You reversed from a very minor road into the path of an oncoming vehicle. I think you are liable for the damage caused. Regards Peter

thanks for your input peter but there was no car coming down the street when I started reversing and as soon as the lights on the other car were spotted at the end of the street by myself and rear passenger I stopped expecting the car to drive past me, my brakes were on, i was stopped and a couple of seconds later the car which was supposed to pass me, hit me. on my passenger side corner of the bumper. Insurance are telling me due to me being stationary I am not liable, worse case 50-50. It also appears that lies have been told regarding having no passengers in the car, possibly due to it being a mobility car.

Vauxhall Corsa C - stopped reversing but car still hit me - RT

Your "culpability" is reversing out from a minor road/entrance onto a more major road - that's a no-no.

So if your pulling out of a space forwards and see a car coming towards you and you stop to let it pass but your passenger front nose is sticking out and you've stopped, the car hits you, who is at fault? I would say the driver coming towards you , you have stopped to give to give it way and this was the same but in reverse??

Vauxhall Corsa C - stopped reversing but car still hit me - Avant

The issue is surely whether part of your car was on the main road, where the driver on it has right of way. If you reverse into the main road, it's likely that more of your car is sticking out (enabling you to see) than if you are driving out forwards.

Vauxhall Corsa C - stopped reversing but car still hit me - gordonbennet

There's a thousand different scenarios here, width of road, other traffic, obstacles, lighting, conditions and a million different combinations of driver awareness and competence, one size fits all answer here won't do but i suspect will win through.

Without independent credible witnesses able to give a considered opinion after seeing the whole episode infold, then there is no way to make a fair judgment of who is at fault... we have the OP's version but there may be other factors the OP is not aware of, such as oncoming or other traffic, obstacles to vision, stray pedestrians, blinding light either from a low sun (leading to dark shadows) or from an oncoming modern car festooned in fairly lights.

I suspect that you, reversing out, will ultimately be held to blame unless you can produce a coherent witness willing to testify that the other driver had ample room and opportunity to go past you, had no obstructions to vision and not blinded by light from any source....the best witness would be the car following the other driver, second best would be a driver coming the other way.

Get ready for the whiplash clams from a possible growing number of passengers in the other car.

Edited by gordonbennet on 05/01/2014 at 11:08

Vauxhall Corsa C - stopped reversing but car still hit me - FP

I think GB's post is good - there could well be details we don't know about the scenario.

What the whole episode underlines is the problematic nature of reversing. The driver cannot, even with mirrors, properly see what he's doing. If he's encroaching on a busy road there are clearly serious risks, no matter what the actual legal rights and wrongs are. Even in car parks, where speeds are generally slow, it's easy to get it wrong.

Reversing is always a potentially dangerous manouvre which should be undertaken with great care and should be done as little as possible and for as short a distance as possible.