What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Focus - Roof bar Fixing points - risk of corrosion? - leicsmark

Hello. I have installed roof bars (Atera) to my Focus. I first had to repair the damage caused by the previous owner who had removed the mastic from over the holes on the driver side and tried and failed to remove the old screws. They were all mangled and jammed in so I had to drill them out.

My concern is that the roof bar fixing covers do not provide a 'seal' with the car body so the bare bolt and the gulley are exposed. What would you advise I do to protect this to prevent the recess filling with water?

Also, the bars will be used intermittently. Now that the plastic retaining screws are destroyed, how have people protected the fixing holes from getting rusty or filled with dirt?

Thanks for any advice. Best wishes.

Mark

Ford Focus - Roof bar Fixing points - risk of corrosion? - Chris M

Are we talking Mk 2 Focus? My Mk1 CMax (based on the Mk2 Focus) has bolt holes beneath the plastic roof trim. These are covered with mastic at the factory which is removed when you fit roof bars. Mine have been exposed for 6+ years. No rust, water or dirt problems. I do apply a little grease to the bolts when fitting the bars and obviously a coating is left behind when they are removed.

Ford Focus - Roof bar Fixing points - risk of corrosion? - leicsmark

Yes the mk2 focus. 2007.

Thanks, that's good to know. It does look very vunerable.

When you install your bars, do they have plastic covers to cover all the bolt, hole, groove etc? Mine end about 2cm above the roof line so it is all exposed.

Ford Focus - Roof bar Fixing points - risk of corrosion? - Chris M

Mine is Ford own brand. The covers are possibly 1 cm above the roof line when looking face on, but open at the back. They are just pieces of trim, albeit with locks to make it a little harder for someone to nick the bars. They are not intended to weatherproof the fixings. Don't worry, it may look vulnerable, but it isn't.