What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Smart Repairs - are they a good job? - Dingle232

Like an idiot I scraped my 3 series yesterday - all my own fault and nobody else to blame. It's resulted in probably a 3.5 inch scrape to the rear bumper that (taking it to a body shop) will probably necessitate bumper off and complete respray etc.

I'll probably go ahead and do that as I do like getting things done properly but someone suggested a smart repar (someone like ChipsAway etc) would do a good job for significantly less.

I have absolutely no experience of these and wonder what kind of quality of job they do? Are they visible to the trained eye if there's not an exact match or do they get an exact match? I envisage changing the car in 2014 at some point and want to avoid some smarty pants salesman knowcking 100's of the trade in value if he can spot it.

Thanks in advance.

Smart Repairs - are they a good job? - skidpan

Someone scraped dads rear bumper in a car park 3 or 4 years ago. It removed all the paint down to the black plastic and left a few deep gouges. Body shop wanted to fit new bumper and paint most of the car to blend in the colour (silver) at a huge cost both in time, excess and possible future premium increases (he was 83 at the time).

I took the car to a Smart Repairer who the Mrs had used several times when their lease cars were due to be returned. The work he had done had always been excellent plus since he had premises the work was carried out in a controlled environment instead of under a tent.

He quoted £55 and needed 1/2 a day, I suspected it was too good to be true but decided to give it a go. The reapir was completely undetectable and the colour match perfect, 3 or 4 years on its still undetectable.

I would use him again if the need ever arose but I guess we were fortunate to use a good one.

Smart Repairs - are they a good job? - Hamsafar

They're only as good as the preson doing it.

I have had them range from terrible to undetectable.

The independant ones with premises have been better than the mobile franchises for me.

There's a guy near where I live who gets great reviews but it's one of those situations where I am thinking 'do I dare'?

Smart Repairs - are they a good job? - oldroverboy.

My old mate with his car reversed along a friends BMW leaving a nasty but shallow dent, unbroken paitwork though on the rear door, and an independant went to friends house and did the trick for £170 in his double garage. Both Mates happy with outcome. Did my car a long time ago Rover 75 on the wheel arch and was repaired so well could not tell the difference.

Last year a bodyshop one man band retired (just working for the pleasure) repaired a nasty deep gouge in the cruze wing above and behind the front n/s wheel arch and did an undetectable repair. Big boys wanted to replace wing, His cost £250 all in no vat.

Ask locally and you'll find someone.

check for reviews ....

Good hunting

Smart Repairs - are they a good job? - Chris M

I have used Chipsaway twice. Two different operators but both worked outside. Both a lot cheaper than a bodyshop, but neither job could be described as undetectable by a long way.

Smart Repairs - are they a good job? - FP

"...a guy near where I live who gets great reviews..."

If you're talking about online reviews, ignore them. Many such are fake.

A personal recommendation is worth far, far more.

Smart Repairs - are they a good job? - Ethan Edwards

I managed to gouge the bumper on my wife's xtrail. Light metallic colour called 'Zinc' by Nissan but think pale gold metallic. Quite high up and very visible.

A mobile chap I called out did a superb job, that was three years ago and it's still fine.

What gained my respect is that I dented my previous car two years ago and naturally called this guy. When he saw it he said that he could have a go but he wouldn't be happy with the result and told me to go to any decent body shop instead. Which I did.

So I can recommend this guy who covers Herts/ Essex without reservation.

£300 at a body shop. Ouch. Will check out the Smart repairs.

Every time I blink this car costs me money with zeros on the end of it. Last time I buy a 'badge' that's for sure, great as it is.

Smart Repairs - are they a good job? - skidpan

£300 at a body shop. Ouch. Will check out the Smart repairs.

Every time I blink this car costs me money with zeros on the end of it. Last time I buy a 'badge' that's for sure, great as it is.

Body shop rates are the same for a Dacia or Merc. Some parts may be more expensive but paint and labour are the same.

Smart Repairs - are they a good job? - bathtub tom

When I bought my current car (eight years ago!), the previous owner either couldn't park or used the 'stop when I hit it' method. Bumpers had deep scratches all over them. The rest of the car was very clean and the missus wanted them tidied up. A local place quoted a couple of hundred quid - much less than a couple of bumpers.

Eight years later I still can't see the repairs, although it's now got eight years worth of 'supermarket car park' injuries and her parking skills!

Smart Repairs - are they a good job? - nat038

Hi

Can you name the guy as I live in Herts and am looking for a repair?

Smart Repairs - are they a good job? - Wonder Wheels And Smart Repair

I have my own small bodyshop in central Scotland in which I do SMART repair, wheel rerefurbishments and accident damaged.

DO NOT USE (XXXX) FOR ANYTHING!!

These guys aren't painters, it's a franchise and as long as they have 50k to buy the franchise then that's it.

They take on anyone,even people with no painting eexperience, give them a TWO WEEK TRAINING COURSE and let them loose on people's cars.

I'm not bring funny here, but what the feck is a 2 week course going to teach anyone.

It took me 4 years of hard work to get my City And Guilds in Vehicle Body Competences

(Edit - name of company being attacked deleted. Please read the sticky thread on 'naming and shaming'. If you haven't got the common sense to see that you can't just insult another business on a public forum, then I wouldn't want to let you loose on my car.)

Edited by Avant on 14/02/2015 at 18:23