What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Any - Diesels cutting out - Brit_in_Germany

Yesterday HJ posted a Q/A in his Ask HJ section from Roppa

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/askhj/answer/48052/engine-cut-out-on-motorway---what-s-the-cause-

Today, I have seen that the RAC is suspecting that modern "green" diesel containing bio-oils may be responsible for diesel filters blocking in cold weather. Could the two be related?

While I know many do not believe in premium diesel, my car is filled only non-Bio fuel. My reasoning being that the extra cost of 10 cent per litre is worth it as an insurance policy against such problems.

Any - Diesels cutting out - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}

Maybe you can get non-bio fuel in Germany. But in UK and France there is ~10% bio in the blend.

We're all dooomed.

Any - Diesels cutting out - Collos25

All diesel in Germany has 10% bio diesel added as in every country in the EU.

Any - Diesels cutting out - RT

All diesel in Germany has 10% bio diesel added as in every country in the EU.

??

EN 590:2009 permits a maximum of 7% biodiesel.

The target for 2020 is 10%.

Any - Diesels cutting out - Brit_in_Germany

Thank you collos for more of your words of wisdom. Try reading the Aral website with regard to their Ultimate product. You may learn something.

Any - Diesels cutting out - SteveLee

Maybe you can get non-bio fuel in Germany. But in UK and France there is ~10% bio in the blend.

We're all dooomed.

It's worse than that, as a distributor you don't have to declare the addition of bio diesel (up to a certain amount) to your fuel so the concentration of bio diesel is often greater than the 10% on the label.

Any - Diesels cutting out - oldroverboy.

Daft question,,, perhaps...

Will the fuel companies be now compensating those who have evidence, ie an invoice for reeplacement of a blocked fuel filter? Or will the "cold" get the blame.

Personally, steeer clear of bio fuels , beleiving that best quality is best.

Any - Diesels cutting out - RT

It's "well-known" that micro-bacteria digest the bio- element of diesel and turn it to a gel which blocks filters - nothing to do with the temperature.

Some of the standard fuel additives should include anti-bacterial agents to suppress the growth of these micro-bacteria - perhaps these were omitted somewhere in the fuel distribution network.

Any - Diesels cutting out - dan86

Isn't vpower a gas to liquid fuel and im sure iv read somewhere that it doesn't contain bio fuel

Any - Diesels cutting out - Andrew-T

It's "well-known" that micro-bacteria digest the bio-element of diesel and turn it to a gel which blocks filters - nothing to do with the temperature.

Some of the standard fuel additives should include anti-bacterial agents to suppress the growth of these micro-bacteria - perhaps these were omitted somewhere in the fuel distribution network.

If the bugs are in your tank I would have thought low temp would slow them down, if anything. Just as you keep food in the fridge.

I don't recall anyone talking about diesel bugs in the recently-closed thread about additives, but an anti-microbe additive might be useful?

Any - Diesels cutting out - Wackyracer
I don't recall anyone talking about diesel bugs in the recently-closed thread about additives, but an anti-microbe additive might be useful?

Diesel bug mainly effects fuel systems that don't get used regularly like boats that are laid up for winter and especially when there is water in the diesel.......... I won't bother to suggest a solution.

Any - Diesels cutting out - Big John

Diesel bugs are a common problem with backup generators using modern diesel - you periodically have to use fuel "polishing" services to remove microbes.

Any - Diesels cutting out - Hamsafar

If the bugs are in your tank I would have thought low temp would slow them down, if anything. Just as you keep food in the fridge.

They actually grow in water in the fuel and feed on the diesel or bio.
They can't grow in anhydrous diesel.