What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Audi A3 Sportback - The correct guide to running in a new vehicle - Dude - {P}

I have recently downsized from my BMW 320i to an A3 Sportback 1.4 petrol with the 140bhp cylinder on demand engine, and would like to find H.J.`s guidance on the correct procedure to running in this vehicle, without over stressing the engine too early?

Audi A3 Sportback - The correct guide to running in a new vehicle - skidpan

I bought a Seat Leon with the same engine (but without the totally pointless cylinder on demand feature) back in June. I drove it from new exactly like I had any other car I have owned for the last 30 years i.e. perfectly normally but avoiding full throttle and high revs for the first 1000 miles or so.

Using this method I have never had an engine problem with the 14 or so new cars myself and the wife have owned during this period.

At the end of the day its just an engine like any other and needs to be treated exactly the same.

Audi A3 Sportback - The correct guide to running in a new vehicle - Cris_on_the_gas

How about reading the owners manual.

Generally avoid continued full revs but also not to make engine labour in too high a gear.

Heard from many sources the following. As a guide line find out rpm where max power is generated, normally near red line on rev counter.

For first 500 miles keep revs to half that, then every 100 miles increase by 500 rpm until max revs reached. Note this is only every so often, no need for screaming in every gear all of the time.

Happy motoring

Audi A3 Sportback - The correct guide to running in a new vehicle - madf

You are being unreasonable :-)

Audi A3 Sportback - The correct guide to running in a new vehicle - Dude - {P}

I am not totally naive and driven well over a million miles over the years, my dilemma being that this particular engine, with a turbo, has 250 n/m torque and is a real flyer ,and I just don`t want to damage it. I am already up to 1200 miles and think I will keep below 3000revs for a while longer - with all that torque, revs are not really necessary, but I just feel like winding it up further, but feel I must restrain for a while longer.!!

You are being unreasonable :-)

Audi A3 Sportback - The correct guide to running in a new vehicle - Cris_on_the_gas

Hey Dude, if you don't like the answer don't ask the question.

Audi A3 Sportback - The correct guide to running in a new vehicle - thunderbird

I am not totally naive and driven well over a million miles over the years, my dilemma being that this particular engine, with a turbo, has 250 n/m torque and is a real flyer ,and I just don`t want to damage it.

Its just an engine, it does not have a clue what car its in and whether it has a turbo or not, they are just dumb objects regardless of all the electronics.

The one sure way to damage a new engine is to baby it too long. The bores will glaze and you will never get good power and always use a decent amount of oil.

All the handbooks I have read in recent years have simply said to drive normally but avoid full revs and full throttle for the first few hundread miles. Not flogging an engine at low speed in a high gear applies at any time in an engines life.

The salesmans words when last bought a new Ford were "drive it like you stole it".

Audi A3 Sportback - The correct guide to running in a new vehicle - bathtub tom

The salesmans words when last bought a new Ford were "drive it like you stole it".

I've heard similar in that some recommendations suggest it should be given a brief thrashing within the first few miles to prevent bores glazing and high oil consumption.

Late FIL bought a Volvo new. In my experience it never went above 2K RPM and it was started in the garage for a few minutes every couple of days, if it hadn't been out, just to 'keep the battery charged'. It had 'piston slap' like you wouldn't believe.

Audi A3 Sportback - The correct guide to running in a new vehicle - madf

5,000 rpm for 30 secnds a week when warmed up keeps the maladies away..

Alternatiively google "italian tune up".

You don't read many Itaians complaining here taht their new car engine has just blown up :-)

Audi A3 Sportback - The correct guide to running in a new vehicle - Robin the Technician

What a complete waste of time this post is!!!

The OP asked a question that clearly the answer was written - by the manufacturer - in the vehicle handbook. They don't just 'chuck them in there' for fun - they are for the owner to read and learn about the vehicle in question. When people quite rightly tell him the answer lies within the handbook he does not like it.

Sorry if the truth hurts but whilst people on here offer you advice, sometimes you will get criticised for your own ineptitude - so even though you've driven hundreds of thousands of miles its blatantly clear you are no expert - as a lot of highly (myself included) qualified technicians/ Engineers who answer posts on here are.

Take the constructive criticism and read your handbook!!!!!

'nuff said

These are the views of Robin the Technician - I fix, therefore I am

The OP asked a question that clearly the answer was written - by the manufacturer - in the vehicle handbook. They don't just 'chuck them in there' for fun - they are for the owner to read and learn about the vehicle in question. When people quite rightly tell him the answer lies within the handbook he does not like it.

Trouble is if everyone actually read the handbook and then applied a little common sense there would be no need for forums like this.

It sometimes makes me wonder how people like myself managed for 30 or so years of driving/car owning before the invention of the interweb.

Just remembered, we read the manuals and applied common sense. Trouble is very few people have any common sense nowadays and cannot make a sensible decision without asking on a forum of some description.

Audi A3 Sportback - The correct guide to running in a new vehicle - jc2

People don't use the fora to look for advice-they use it to look for someone to blame when they have a problem! "HE" said to do this-------!

Audi A3 Sportback - The correct guide to running in a new vehicle - edlithgow

Its controversial, so nobody really knows, except possibly the manufacturer, and their test results are generally secret.

Basically, the extreme choices are between babying it (as used to be generally recommended by your manufacturer), and thrashing it (the "hard", or "motorman" break in).

Manufacturer's guidelines are generally now a compromise, and, as has been said, you won't go far wrong following them, but its worth remembering that the manufacturer's primary interests are user convenience (=sales) and avoiding warranty claims. (=sales) Engine longevity (not=sales) will be low on their list of priorities.

There's quite a lot of support for the hard break-in approach, here articulated (by a bit of a self-publicising prat, but that doesn't mean he's wrong) from the biker point of view.

www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

This evidence is, AFAIK, entirely anecdotal, so you are perfectly entitled to ignore it, especially if it comes from bikers.

Either way, try and avoid "lugging it" (low revs in too high a gear, which I tend to do) and perhaps do more frequent initial oil changes.

There's another related controversy over synthetic or mineral oil during break-in, with a school of thought advocating using mineral oil initially and then switching to synthetic later.

Audi A3 Sportback - The correct guide to running in a new vehicle - Peter.N.

Just drive it gently, you will get better fuel consumption too.

Audi A3 Sportback - The correct guide to running in a new vehicle - focussed

Rubbish-If you don't work the motor hard during the break-in period you will end up with a tight engine that won't produce peak power and will not give good mpg.

Just don't slog the motor at low rpm and don't rev the guts out of it for the first 500-1000 miles, then just drive it normally giving in full rpm now and again for short periods.

Rubbish-If you don't work the motor hard during the break-in period you will end up with a tight engine that won't produce peak power and will not give good mpg.

Just don't slog the motor at low rpm and don't rev the guts out of it for the first 500-1000 miles, then just drive it normally giving in full rpm now and again for short periods.

Correct, put exactly that in my earlier post.