What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
1976 Ford Granada Ghia for sale - Trilogy

Love these. www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C439830

1976 Ford Granada Ghia for sale - davecooper
My Dad had the Consul GT 3L V6 in dark green with the spotlights and sport wheels. Lovely car, happy memories, sigh!
1976 Ford Granada Ghia for sale - Andrew-T

Personally I never hankered after a watered-down Yankee tub, but chacun etc. :-)

But it says it's been clocked ....

1976 Ford Granada Ghia for sale - mss1tw

Personally I never hankered after a watered-down Yankee tub, but chacun etc. :-)

Clocked as in 'on the clocks'

1976 Ford Granada Ghia for sale - Andrew-T

Clocked as in 'on the clocks'

Yes, hopefully .....

1976 Ford Granada Ghia for sale - craig-pd130

Nice! I used to love the early 'coke bottle' Granada coupes, haven't seen one for years now.

1976 Ford Granada Ghia for sale - coopshere
I had a Consul GT, a real speed machine it it's day, used as patrol cars by some police forces. This was followed by a Mk 2 Granada 2.8i another Speedster from Ford and very good value second hand due to huge numbers bought as company cars. Even with the injection system they could still be serviced by a DIY mechanic, try doing that today with a modern car.
1976 Ford Granada Ghia for sale - mss1tw
I had a Consul GT, a real speed machine it it's day, used as patrol cars by some police forces. This was followed by a Mk 2 Granada 2.8i another Speedster from Ford and very good value second hand due to huge numbers bought as company cars. Even with the injection system they could still be serviced by a DIY mechanic, try doing that today with a modern car.

Routine servicing is easier for modern cars surely? Points, contacts, valve adjustment, de-coking, carb synchronisation (Not sure if applies to cars but does to my carbed motorbike), all a thing of the past.

OK sometimes spark plugs are a pain to get to and some have daft lamp replacement procedures but everything from my first car (96 1.3 Fiesta) to my current Berlingo are a doddle to DIY service.

1976 Ford Granada Ghia for sale - RT

Routine servicing is easier for modern cars surely? Points, contacts, valve adjustment, de-coking, carb synchronisation (Not sure if applies to cars but does to my carbed motorbike), all a thing of the past.

OK sometimes spark plugs are a pain to get to and some have daft lamp replacement procedures but everything from my first car (96 1.3 Fiesta) to my current Berlingo are a doddle to DIY service.

The fuel injected versions had fewer tasks, no points/contacts as electronic ignition was standard by then, no de-coking as much cleaner running and meant plugs lasted longer and no carb adjustment.

Carb adjustment was for anoraks - my Cortina-Lotus needed rebalancing every week (or maybe I never got it right).

1976 Ford Granada Ghia for sale - coopshere
Routine servicing such as oil and filter changes are about the same. The problem for the DIY mechanic is when one of the numerous sensors reports a fault to the ECU, without a box of electronic wizardry there is no way of knowing what the problem might be. Even the dealers who are supposed to have the wizardry sometimes have problems rectifying faults as often reported on these forums.
1976 Ford Granada Ghia for sale - Pondlife

I'd agree that routine servicing on modern cars is easier, but faults on modern cars can quickly become things you can't DIY.

I had a 1970s era 1.6 cortina may years ago. It was basic, but I think a competent mechanic could have kept it going essentially forever.

And although carbs were a pain, at least all the fuelling decisions were in one place and not scattered around like they are on modern cars.