What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Focus - Car ownrship - Craig 20

Hi everyone

Im new to the site and looking for a little bit of guidance on a legal matter.

At the end of June this year I bought a car from a friend of a friend ....who told me that he had just bought the car off a mate and was waiting for the log book to arrive...when it did he would pass it on to me and inform DVLA of the change of ownership.

After a month I asked him if he had yet obtained the log book and was told that he was chasing the DVLA up as he said they had lost it.

this went on for a couple of month until the tax was due ...when I again got on to him saying I needed the log book to tax the car he said he was still chasing up the DVLA but had the tax reminder which he gave to my friend to give to me ( this confirmed to me that he was the legal owner as the reminder was in his name and so he must have at some point had a log book for this vehicle)...so as I have insured it in my name I was able to tax the car.

Now after 5 months of asking and getting fobbed off I have decided to bite the bullet and have obtained a V62 form and am going to have to pay for a new log book myself.

What is worrying me now is will the DVLA once the realise I have been in possesion of the car for over 6 months fine me for not informing them earlier ?

I would appreciate some feedback on this from folk who know anything about this or who have been in the same position.

Thanks in advance for any help

Ford Focus - Car ownrship - FP

As far as I know (and I stand to be corrected) it is the responsibility of the seller to inform the DVLA of change of ownership.

Ford Focus - Car ownrship - Avant

Quite correct, FP.

Ford Focus - Car ownrship - Craig 20

Thanks Guys....thats one less thing to stress about ....Now! next question....do you know anyone who can lend me 25 quid to cover the fee of a new log book? lol

Seriously I apreciate you taking the time to help..Thank you :0)

Ford Focus - Car ownrship - RT

....Now! next question....do you know anyone who can lend me 25 quid to cover the fee of a new log book? lol

Wonga.com !!

Ford Focus - Car ownrship - Bromptonaut

As far as I know (and I stand to be corrected) it is the responsibility of the seller to inform the DVLA of change of ownership.

The seller is responsible for completing and returning the detachable 'sale/transfer' slip from the V5. The purchaser sends the rest of the V5 to DVLA after adding his details.

The OP might be regarded as tardy in addressing the missing V5. Taxing it using the reminder when not in his name might also be an issue.

There is however nothing to be gained in procrastination; send the formwork off now and tackle any consequences as they arise.

Ford Focus - Car ownrship - Collos25

Without doubt the log has gone to a Log book loan company who will now own the vehicle I would seek legal advice as soon as posible.

Ford Focus - Car ownrship - Soichiro

Without doubt the log has gone to a Log book loan company who will now own the vehicle I would seek legal advice as soon as posible.

You have no evidence of that at all. Why worry the op with a reply like that.

I have no evidence but reading the post and fudge the previous owner is making about where the log is and putting two and two together it seems the likely outcome it happens more than you think.These log book loan companies are all over the UK and plenty of cars have turned up in similar circumtances in the sale ads when the buyer applies for the log book upon which they are imformed by the DVLA they are not the owner a loan company is these transactions are not showing up on credit checks so again buyer beware.

Ford Focus - Car ownrship - Andrew-T

Collos - please try punctuating your messages so we eager readers can understand them better ....

I am sorry if you do not understand English even if its not puncuated as you would prefer, I will try to do better next time .

Ford Focus - Car ownrship - wrangler_rover

Buy the red car, on no account buy the white car.

Buy the red car on no account, buy the white car.

There is a world of difference between the 2 sentences above, both contain a comma but in different places.

Ford Focus - Car ownrship - Andrew-T

I am sorry if you do not understand English even if its not puncuated as you would prefer, I will try to do better next time .

Thank you. I understand English quite well, but I sometimes have difficulty with your long one-sentence paragraphs.

Ford Focus - Car ownrship - Avant

Collos lives in Germany and I assume that English is his second language - so I admire him. I'd need extensive use of a dictionary if I posted on a German forum!

Edited by Avant on 06/12/2013 at 23:31

Ford Focus - Car ownrship - Brit_in_Germany

My understanding was that Collos aka Andy Bairsto is another ex-pat but English is his mother tongue. Perhaps too long in the Fatherland leads to extremely long one sentence paragraphs. I hope not.

Ford Focus - Car ownrship - jc2

It could be worse in German-you might get a very long sentence and no verb till the very end!

I am half and half and have been based in Germany since the late seventies ,German is my first language and I was never any good at English language not much better at with the German equivelant.

Ford Focus - Car ownrship - galileo

I am half and half and have been based in Germany since the late seventies ,German is my first language and I was never any good at English language not much better at with the German equivelant.

My compliments, Collos, your English is admirable as it is your second language and far better than that of many who have been born and bred here (and probably have a piece of paper which says they have passed GCSE in the language).

On business trips abroad I was always impressed with the fluency in English of our customers in Germany and Scandinavia and slightly ashamed at the generally poor standard in other languages which we have here.

Ford Focus - Car ownrship - oldroverboy.

My compliments, Collos, your English is admirable as it is your second language and far better than that of many who have been born and bred here (and probably have a piece of paper which says they have passed GCSE in the language).

On business trips abroad I was always impressed with the fluency in English of our customers in Germany and Scandinavia and slightly ashamed at the generally poor standard in other languages which we have here.

Ditto for the compliments, Although I am fluent in french, family of belgian origin a couple of generations ago, most french think i am swiss or german, (is my accent that bad?) but as galileo says, I am inpressed when travelling in europe at how few people in business don't speak english, seems to be a mandatory requirement for customer facing personnel regardless of sector. However I can manage to make our german compatriots smile when i say carefully that i speak german like a spanish cow, wirh apologies. And to the french, Naturellement, I am gallois not gaulois!

And for the OP, be paranoid when it comes to dealing with DVLA, send recorded delivery or proof of postage at least, it is usually cheaper. And, unless the car was /is a real bargain, be careful in future, How has it panned out by the way?

Edited by oldroverboy. on 09/01/2014 at 12:03