Toyota Aygo Black 1.0L with a/c - how often should i use air con and have it service - dp2263

Just bought 2nd hand car for my daughter

there is no mention in owners manual how often the air con should be used especially in winter> Read HJ advice should be on all year and run on max cold in winter months for 10 mins but surely this defeats object of buying city car to great mpg ???

Any advice from aygo owners and C1 and peugoet 107

Toyota Aygo Black 1.0L with a/c - how often should i use air con and have it service - daveyjp
We had an Aygo for 6 years. Aircon was never turned off and it was as cold when we sold it as when new. I advise you do the same.

Mpg was 45 round town, best was mid 60s, the same as reported by non aircon Aygo owners.
Toyota Aygo Black 1.0L with a/c - how often should i use air con and have it service - The-Mechanic

The general consensus it to have the A/C on as much as possible. Apart from the obvious benefits in the summer months, A/C also dehumidies the air which helps with de misting during the cold, wet weather.

Obviously you don't want to run the A/C on Max cold when the outside temperature in as low as it is now and there's no need to. Just set the heat to whatever's comfortable with the A/C on until the car has warmed up, then turn the A/C off leaving the standard heater on. If you experience the glass misting up, switch it back on for a while.

Modern A/C systems are a lot more efficient than they used to be and will automatically switch the compressor in/out as and when needed so don't run permanently (called "duty cycle") so if you are accelerating or have a larger than normal engine load, it will turn the compressor off aiding engine power and therefore fuel consumption.

Get the A/C serviced every year when you have the car serviced and don't forget to have the cabin (pollen) filter changed and an anti bacterial treatment to help stop any nasty smells from the build up of condensation that all A/C equipped cars get and you won't go far wrong.

Toyota Aygo Black 1.0L with a/c - how often should i use air con and have it service - daveyjp
Good advice about the pollen filter, an easy DIY job. A new one costs about £7 from eurocarparts and takes seconds to fit. A dealer will charge what they can get away with!
Toyota Aygo Black 1.0L with a/c - how often should i use air con and have it service - skidpan

Me and the Mrs have had A/C or climate in 7 cars since 1999. We use it when needed in summer (and in winter to demist) but we always run it for a least 10 minutes every 2 weeks as per the advice in the manuals. In that time only had one car system cleaned and it made a right mess of the system, garage sorted it FOC but never again, car stank for weeks after their balls up. Other than that the only issue was a failed condensor replaced under warranty and a regas under warranty. I take the filter out every few months and knock of any debris and replace as per the service shedule.

Use it sensibly and it will be fine.

Toyota Aygo Black 1.0L with a/c - how often should i use air con and have it service - madf

I have run cars with aircon for at least 25 years . I run aircon all year round. Period.

Toyota Aygo Black 1.0L with a/c - how often should i use air con and have it service - dan86

In my last two cars I have run the ac all the time. Hardly any difference in fuel consumption from what I can tell andno loss of power. Plus if you run it all the time it stops the system from drying out.

Toyota Aygo Black 1.0L with a/c - how often should i use air con and have it service - Chris M

As a C1 owner I run the air con as and when needed and for 10 minutes every week or two if I haven't needed it.

I haven't checked any mpg figures with and without it, but I can't believe it makes no difference on a C1/Aygo/107. I suggest the OP finds a long motorway incline and travelling at about 65mph tries accelarating hard. You will find progress is a little more rapid with the air con off.

And regarding the pollen filter, changing it is really simple. Don't let a dealer rip you off for what is a two minute job.

Edited by Chris M on 28/11/2013 at 11:10

Toyota Aygo Black 1.0L with a/c - how often should i use air con and have it service - skidpan

Based simply on my observations I think that with A/C on my cars have done about 6% less mpg. The wifes car with climate appears to be affected less simply because it only cools when it needs to. The Puma we had was terrible on the motorway with the A/C on, forever surging as the compressor cycled. Tried another, exactly the same. You had to increase the pressure on the accelerator when it happened o kepp your speed up, obviously this used more fuel. never notive#ced this on any other car although the Micra did have a very uneven idle as the A/C cycled on and off.