2004 Ford Focus CMAX 1.8 Duratec HE Petrol Manual - Brake Light Fault - Mattt

First post, hello all. I've been offered a c-max 1.8 duratec petrol which has a few issues. Messages 'brake light fault' and 'engine systems fault' when the car is started.

I've plugged an obd2 reader and originally had 3 codes, 2 of which I've sorted (dodgy coil connection and a broken cooling fan control wire)

The third started as:

P0571 - Cruise Control/Brake Switch 'A' Circuit Malfunction

So, I investigated the two switches on the brake pedal. I removed them both and checked them with a multimeter.

The top blue and white push to break switch was fine, the brake lights work ok.

The black lower push to make switch also worked ok.

I refitted both switches with the brake pedal in its home position and reconnected the battery.

Cleared fault codes and started the car, this time I get code:

P0703 Torque Converter Brake Switch B Circuit Malfunction

If I monitor PID 'brake pedal' on the code reader, I get a correct on/off reading when the pedal is pressed. This stops if i disconnect the wire to the black switch. So the switch and its wiring is ok?

So, any ideas... Am i doing something wrong refitting the black switch, is there a calibration procedure? Should I just change the switch anyway?

Another query, there's a whine from the throttle body when the ignition is on, I've recorded a video of the noise:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnwgbyKgT70 Is this normal?

Thanks in Advance,

Matt

2004 Ford Focus CMAX 1.8 Duratec HE Petrol Manual - Brake Light Fault - slkfanboy

Do the break lights work full brighness correctly. i.e is there an earthing problem. The switch is normally closed i think. You are in the right area ,

I would bypass the switch incase it's an earthing or connection problem.

2004 Ford Focus CMAX 1.8 Duratec HE Petrol Manual - Brake Light Fault - Mattt

Brake lights are fully bright. If I disconnect the lower switch the brake lights still work - so I presume they work on the top switch only?

Is there some sort of reset or calibration procedure needed when the switches are reinstalled?

2004 Ford Focus CMAX 1.8 Duratec HE Petrol Manual - Brake Light Fault - elekie&a/c doctor
have you checked the battery and alternator charging circuit? A low voltage to the electrical systems on cranking can cause this problem.Try disconnecting the battery for 10 mins,this may reset system.hth
2004 Ford Focus CMAX 1.8 Duratec HE Petrol Manual - Brake Light Fault - horvi001

Hi

I have exactly same problem /already replaced both switches but P0703 still there,i erased fault with computer but when turn off and on ignition fault is still there.everythink working well including brake lights only message on dashboard...Did you fixed your problem?

2004 Ford Focus CMAX 1.8 Duratec HE Petrol Manual - Brake Light Fault - horvi001

Hi

I just resolved problem,i did reset KAM modul and no more faults.

i forgott,one of old switches which i repaced is faulty,i opened and found it has burn contacts ...