What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
52 Plate Mondeo 2.0 Ghia X - Help! 2002 - 2005 Mondeo Engine Swap Problems - rezone

Hi Guys,

Hope someone can help me out here as going round in circles.. btw I have posted this on another site..

I own a 52 plate mondeo 2.0 he duratec (CJBA Silvertop) which decided to eat the all too common intake manifold butterflies..

Following that, the engine was knackered so I sorced a 55 plate Zetec (CJBA Blacktop) bare bones block from fleabay..

All ancillaries including injector rail, camshaft pulley etc were pulled from the old block as they were all in perfect order and didnt wanna mess up the ECU etc..

Now the block is in all connected up.. no spare sensors hanging blah blah blah..

My problem is we cannot get a spark to the valves..

Ive checked the earthing connections, replaced the ignition coil with new, replaced the crankshaft sensor with new, and still no joy :-/

Does anyone have any ideas on this.. ive checked autodata and still im not coming up with a solution..

Was the wiring loom changed during facelift??

Autodatas wiring diagram looks the same!!

I have spoken to ford and they are saying a different wiring loom but, and I quote, he said "tbh I dont even know how to wire up a plug".. typical ford <*** class="bbc_emoticon" src="http://www.talkford.com/public/style_emoticons/default/laugh.png" alt=":lol:" />

I also phoned me parts dealer CPA and they show a difference in coil packs, but still recommend me post this somewhere like here..!!! :-/

Please help,

Rez

52 Plate Mondeo 2.0 Ghia X - Help! 2002 - 2005 Mondeo Engine Swap Problems - skidpan

Mondeo Mk 1's from 1992 to 1996 used the Zetec "Silvertop".

From 1996 to late 2000 (Mk2's) they used the Zetec "Blacktop" which was a slightly modified "Silvertop" the main difference being the use of solid instead of hydraulic tappets.

At the introduction of the all new Mondeo (Mk3) in late 2000 the Duratec was introduced to replace the Zetec. This is a totally different engine based on a Mazda design It is all alloy construction and the inlet and exhaust manifolds are reversed. There are no common components.

Are you absolutely sure you have got the correct engine.

52 Plate Mondeo 2.0 Ghia X - Help! 2002 - 2005 Mondeo Engine Swap Problems - rezone

@skidpan.. yes mate i have all the relevant docs to support this.. im only quoting silver/black top as the 2005 block has a black rocker cover as opposed to my original being silver so fook knows.. im only going by visual appearances :-/

52 Plate Mondeo 2.0 Ghia X - Help! 2002 - 2005 Mondeo Engine Swap Problems - madf

You probably need the ECU for the new engine. And if the car was specced differently in terms of security you will need a revised wiring loom.

Without a detailed knowledge of the electronics, - which I do not possess - I can't help.

52 Plate Mondeo 2.0 Ghia X - Help! 2002 - 2005 Mondeo Engine Swap Problems - skidpan

Spoke to a mate of mine who knows Duratecs very well, runs them in his race car. The Mondeo Duratec from 2001 on uses a cast alloy cam cover. The 2.0 Duratec used in the Fiesta ST from 2004 ish to 2008 used a black cam cover but he was not sure of the material its made from, always buys Mondeo ones because they are cheaper. People pay more for ST engines although they are no better. Based on that info you may have bought an engine from a Fiesta instead of a Mondeo and the loom/management/sensors may not be interchangeable.

Going back to 1990's Zetecs I know there were issues when people replaced engines in a manual with engines from an auto. Simple enough to swap over the flywheel/clutch etc but the crank sensor holder for the auto was shorter,would not get a signal form the manual flywheel and would not send a signal to the ECU. Problem was it needed the engine out to swap it.

Wonder if there are different length crank sensors/holders or something similar in the Duratec.

52 Plate Mondeo 2.0 Ghia X - Help! 2002 - 2005 Mondeo Engine Swap Problems - dieselnut

You are using all the existing injectors/ wiring & ignition wiring so you just need the crank/ cam signals from the sensors & should be good to go. But as skidpan advises, there could be a problem getting a good signal from the sensors if there is a discrepance in their location. I would also double/ tripple check that everything electrically is connected correctly.

Thanks for the replies so far guys..

Just to confirm the only new stuff in the bay is the block and head.. I am using all my original wiring, sensors etc including crankshaft pulley.

The new block is exactly the same apart from the colour of the rocker cover, was silver, now black.

I have all the documentation confirming engine numbers etc also confirming its from a manual 55 plate mondeo zetec (mine is also manual).

With regards to the Fiesta ST 150 engine I have already been down that road as the first engine I was supplied from my local breakers was exactly that, which is engine code N4JB and not the CJBA from the mondeo (which is both what I originally had and since purchased and installed).

The ST150 engine is the same bottom end but not top.. it requires different intake manifold, oil cooler (which mondeo does not have) etc etc.. This is why I returned it and sourced the correct engine CJBA.

One more thing.. the engine does crank just no spark.. the voltage pulse at the coils plug connector reads minus something then settles at 0 unlike autodata which tells me it should be +0.6.. the reading from the HT ports is correct at 10.1-10.2.

This is why I am suspecting wiring/component changes during the facelift.

52 Plate Mondeo 2.0 Ghia X - Help! 2002 - 2005 Mondeo Engine Swap Problems - Kev111

Hi rezone,

the value you have quoted +0.6.., I think you may be getting mixed up, that is a typical primary resistance on a modern ignition coil. For now remove the connector from the ignition coil pack and let me know if your OK with a test meter, if your not it doesn't matter I can still guide you through. I just want to check some basics with you first!

Regards Kev

52 Plate Mondeo 2.0 Ghia X - Help! 2002 - 2005 Mondeo Engine Swap Problems - scozaaaa

hi everyone, new to this forum, ive got the very same problem that this guy had! id really appreciate any help anyone could give me.

tia scott.

52 Plate Mondeo 2.0 Ghia X - Help! 2002 - 2005 Mondeo Engine Swap Problems - scozaaaa

hey rez, did u sort this problem out??? ive got the exact same problem! i did the same thing, please help.