What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Focus Zetec 1.8TDCi 110k - Engine System Warning - brj

Information please

Today the Engine System warning message came on, the rev counter indicated "higher" revs than the engine was doing and they seemed to be an abnormal "air intake sound".

Earlier, 1 month ago at a service carried out at Kwik Fit the "engine" symbol" came on with a code of PO299 unknown fault. They could not ID a problem

The car is running fine at the moment.

Have any mechanics got advice for a non mechanic. Thanks.

Ford Focus Zetec 1.8TDCi 110k - Engine System Warning - slkfanboy

Could well be an air leak in the air intake system. I not a fan of Kwk Fit and it may well ne something not bolded down correctly

Ford Focus Zetec 1.8TDCi 110k - Engine System Warning - Kev111

Hi brj,

I would take it to a proper garage, personally wouldn't trust quick fit to repair a worn-out wheel barrow. The fault code P0299 is related to the turbo pressure, the engine ECU or PCM as Fords like to call it logs this code if it see's low pressure. It could well be a faulty actuator on the turbo itself. A lot of the later vehicles use a variable vane type turbo, It would have been helpful if you put the year of your car down also! Equally you could have a split intake pipe or hole in the intercooler, this would result in a pressure drop which would be picked up by the engine ECU/PCM.

Kind Regards Kev

Edited by Kev111 on 12/11/2013 at 21:19

Ford Focus Zetec 1.8TDCi 110k - Engine System Warning - The-Mechanic

I'll second you there kev.

By the sounds of it, there could be a charge air hose split or blown off what with the noise you describe brj. Easiest way to check is to open the bonnet and get an assistant to rev the engine (when stationary) and listen for the "whooshing" noise to try and pin point which hose has gone.

Quack fit couldn't find their @$$ with both hands so why would they be able to find out what P0299 means ???? I mean, it's not difficult now is it !!!!

www.obd-codes.com/p0299

Good luck and keep us updated with what you find mate.

Edited by The-Mechanic on 12/11/2013 at 22:48