What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Buying my Second(ish) Car - Medium Hatchback - alil

Hi there everybody, I would like a little advice from actual car owners who could provide me with useful and practical advice for my new car purchase.

I've now been without a car for 2 years (my previous cars were R and X reg Ford Fiesta's, so small cheap and practical runabouts for my first car), but now is the time for me to buy one again. Sadly it is because I live a long way away from my family and the prices of train tickets combined with the fact that now I have just become too old for a young person's railcard, means that DRIVING is the cheaper option.

I have also just started a new, far more serious job than I had before, which will potentially involve a lot of driving, so comfort while driving is hugely important, and image is part of the consideration here, so an old Fiesta won't do the job anymore.

So, I have some to the conclusion that something in the medium hatchback sector would be appropriate for my needs, but can't pinpoint which car. I'm looking at 2007-2010 models based on what I can afford (I don't really want finance, I'd rather buy it outright straight away). My shortlist is essentially:

• Ford Focus
  • Audi A3
  • BMW 1 Series

Has anyone got any other suggestions (please don't say Golf)? For some reason, I've also set my heart on having cruise control. Bad idea?

Buying my Second(ish) Car - Medium Hatchback - FP

"...will potentially involve a lot of driving..."

That's a little vague. An indication of your expected annual mileage would help us to offer advice. And will most of it be on motorways?

Buying my Second(ish) Car - Medium Hatchback - alil

@ FP

Sorry, I can't really be any more specific at the moment, as I have literally inly just started the job and an still in training. It all depends where the need for me to be is at the time, some weeks could be barely any, other weeks I could be doing 200 miles a day. It will involve mainly motorway miles though. Shall we say roughly 15-20k miles/year?

@Palcouk

Unless there is a significant advantage in buying a 2011+ model (which would mean I'd have to get at least part financing on it), I'd rather go with something '09-'10. Does the reliability of a model only 2 years older really make that much of a difference? I don't really know anything about any cars that aren't old fiesta's.

Buying my Second(ish) Car - Medium Hatchback - Palcouk

Audi & BMW are premium models sold at a premium price, their maintenance costs are likely to be higher than Ford.

If you want reliabilty with a car of that age generally you cannot go wrong with Japanese, Honda/Toyota/Mazda.

If buying new or two years old, by all means buy one of your suggestions

Buying my Second(ish) Car - Medium Hatchback - Bobbin Threadbare

Audi & BMW are premium models sold at a premium price, their maintenance costs are likely to be higher than Ford.

If you want reliabilty with a car of that age generally you cannot go wrong with Japanese, Honda/Toyota/Mazda.

If buying new or two years old, by all means buy one of your suggestions

Seconded. I had the same choice to make about 4 years ago; I got a 4.5 year old petrol Mazda 6 with cruise control, climate control and a Bose stereo for my commute for abut £4k. Did me very well until I swapped it for a MX-5 when one came up at the right price!