What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Oil burning VTEC Accord? - davo
My '99 2.0 VTEC Accord has been regularly serviced by the Honda franchised dealer up to it's last service at about 86,00 0 miles. At 90,000 I checked the oil and the dipstick was dry. Dealer said bring it in for a top up and consumption test. So it took 1.3 litres to bring it back up to level. I did a further 1,200 miles and after the consumption check they said it hasn't used any at all.

The car runs fine and doesn't leak and there are no obvious signs of smoke etc coming from the back. So what happened to 1.3 litres of synthetic (Mobil 1) oil in 4,000 miles?

Dealer is not prepared to admit that it wasn't done proerly at the service but says will allow a little on next service against this query. But after last service I had to call them out for a hissing noise, turns they had left the breather pipes on the rocker box off so I think they may have blundered.

All the experts say the engine is bulletproof and good for 200,000 miles.

I need the car for work so can't afford to have it blow up, I work out on the road alot, but don't want to change it for 5-6 months?

Any opinions about the car and the next service?
Oil burning VTEC Accord? - Jonathan {p}
I can't really offer any useful help, except that you should check the oil regularly until the next service.

How are you finding the car overall? I am thinking of getting one of these and would like a current owner's opinion. WHat spec is it (S, SE, Sport, Exec)?

Regards

Jonathan
I have to say I like the car and think they are good value but look a bit ordinary. It is a 2.0 LS 99T, now on 90k plus miles.

Likes: VTEC Engine goes well, mid range power excellent, cruise control I like, all elec windows & roof, robust and roomy interior, aircon, cavernous boot, build quality, handling is excellent via the wishbone suspension, comfortable multi adjust seats. Last tank averaged 32.3mpg.

Dislikes: Servicing costs at Honda garage (although not as bad as some and they seem to care) Bland appearance from rear, looks good from front. Ride is a trifle hard on potholes etc.

Faults; Rear wheel bearings replaced at £40k, common fault. Ignition switch recall - this is a pig - just cuts out anywhere, OK since done.

I just want mine to keep going till replaced then it will be a bargain for someone at about £3.5k (I think)
Oil burning VTEC Accord? - wemyss
Davo I think that you were very lucky to have no damage to your engine with a dry dipstick. If I understand you correctly you hadn't checked it for 4000 miles since the last service?.
Personally I think it should be done every week.
There used to be a daily duty by Army drivers which was named WOFT. water,oil,fuel,tyres.
Over the top no doubt but woe betide any of them who were found not to carry it out.
Even with todays cars I thnk a weekly check on oil and water would be sensible.
regards
alvin
Wouldn't disagree about the routines buy you know how bad habits set in! Nevertheless it appears to me as though the dealer didn't top it up correctly at the service, it is apparently OK now according to the dealer, allbeit I have checked it weekly, even twice weekly, since the consumption test and it shows a dip to halfway between the two holes on the dipstick, which is probably about normal I guess.

Was in the REME myself, but did the choppers, not involved in mechanical things anymore:-))
Oil burning VTEC Accord? - Andy P
I've had a 2000W 2.0 VTEC SE for nearly eighteen months now. It's comfortable, handles well (better than both my Cavalier SRis - lighter aluminium engine seems to make the front stick better), fantastic engine (free revving, sounds great above 4000rpm). Regularly get 33mpg on the motorway. A couple of creaks (door trim) and rattles (rear seatbelt mechanism), but overall it's a very good but underrated car.

Andy