What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Mondeo - Engine oil in diesel - rory-coleman
2004 ford mondeo tdci. Hi I'm new here do forgive me if I do this wrong. Car lacking power, black smoke and excessive oil usage. Removed the fuel filter yesterday to find the diesel black so now I know where the oil is going but where to start to find the problem? High pressure pump?
Ford Mondeo - Engine oil in diesel - The-Mechanic

I'd say the high pressure pump would be a good place to start looking. Not had much to do with the Ford TDCi engines but if it's the same kind of setup as VAG's which I do have plenty of experience with, the tandem (high pressure) pump causes this problem.

You will definitely need to replace the fuel filter and I'd recommend draining / flushing out the tank and pipework and possibly replacing the in tank fuel pump too as that'll be contaminated with oil.

Ford Mondeo - Engine oil in diesel - skidpan

You cannot get engine oil in the diesel, its impossible. How would it get from the sump into the sealed high pressure fuel system or into the tank.

On some cars you can get diesel into the engine oil through bad design of the emmission system.

Ford Mondeo - Engine oil in diesel - gordonbennet

Fuel filters left for too long can turn black, engine oil not needed.

Ford Mondeo - Engine oil in diesel - DrippingSump

I had a check on the www and it does certainly appear this tandem pump can allow transfer of engine oil to the fuel and vice versa. It is a widely known phenomenon.

Not being a VAG man, and thus no experience of this, it is my guess that the driven interface of the pump to the engine is oil wet and the pump seal/gasket is failing and allowing cross contaminnation.

Someone please explain what this pump does, and is my explanation of the problem correct or at least close. Some technical detail please.

Thanks in advance

I had a check on the www and it does certainly appear this tandem pump can allow transfer of engine oil to the fuel and vice versa. It is a widely known phenomenon.

What utter tosh. If engine oil got into the fuel it would likely as not block filters and damage injectors as well as putting the emmisions way out. If diesel gets into the sump the result is sometimes catatrophic.

No manufacturer would design such a system and no such system would pass the regulations.

Its that well known that none of the 6 diesel cars I have owned have done it.

Never say never. I'm a fitter for volvo construction and I can say from experience it can happen. The reason why I don't think it's the high pressure pump is that unless this pump has a oil feed line at it to force the oil in then it will be doubtful. Anyone any problems with high oil consumption?

As I understand it diesel is the lubricant in the fuel pump, that is why missfueling a car with petrol causes problems since the petrol has no (or little) lubricating properties. From your post it would appear that construction machinery has oil lubrication to the fuel pump but is this because some "red" diesel used off road is lower quality and needs the extra lubrication to prevent damaging the pump.

Comparing what can happen on off road equipment with a modern road car is not really the best comparison.

Ford Mondeo - Engine oil in diesel - dieselnut

Going back to the original post, black smoke is normally associated with either too much fuel or not enough air. I would start by looking for a split in one of the turbo/ intercooler pipes, that would also tie in with lack of power. Also check the EGR valve isn't stuck open.

As far as I know, tandem fuel pumps are only used on the VW PD diesel. They are driven off the camshaft where a faulty oil seal can cause oil contamination of the fuel. Unused fuel is then returned to the tank & eventually gets back to the fuel filter turning that black. But as GB says, the black filter may be just a red herring & the filter hasn't been changed recently. You can also get bacterial growth in the fuel tank resulting in a black slime in the filter.

Skidpan, may I suggest that you get at least a little knowledge on this subject before making comments !

Modern common rail and the VAG PD engines use a separate HP pump usually bolted to and driven by the camshaft on the cylinder head. They are used for more than just supplying fuel pressure ( on VAG's especially ) and also supply vacuum to the servo brakes and various actuators such as EGR valves and, in VAG's, the VNT units on the turbos. They need an oil feed from the engine as the secondary uses of the pump require lubrication as diesel is definitely not wanted there. When the internal seals fail, engine oil will transfer into the return fuel feed and cause the contamination as has been mentioned in an earlier post.

And your comment on plant machinery is just as laughable as these types of engine are just as complex as a "modern road car" in some cases, even more so. The days of old, smokey Perkins or Cummings engines that "run on anything" are over ( thank god ) and the technology used in them will rival most cars on the road today.

Like I said in my first post, I have experience in VAG's for this oil-in-fuel problem and posted my advice accordingly, you however, just posted deflammitory comments on a subject you obviously have an opinion, but little technical knowledge on.

Skidpan, may I suggest that you get at least a little knowledge on this subject before making comments !

Please do not talk down to me, just because you call yourself "The-Mechanic" does not mean you have any idea about engines. I may not be qualified but I can assure you that my knowledge and experience in the field is way ahead of most so called "Experts".

Ford Mondeo - Engine oil in diesel - DrippingSump

Skidpan,

Please add some value to the discussion. I asked for some technical detail but you just dismissed my post out of hand with no supporting evidence. As for saying no manufacturer would design such a system is the true tosh here. That really is an outrageous statement.

The Mechanic at least added some technical detail, which bore out my assumption about this pump having an oil wet side and when the seal/gaskey fails it will cross contaminate.

Prove to us that it isn't this pump causing the problem, and feel free to talk down all you like.

Regards

Simply cannot be bothered with this total drivel.

Usual case of people making up nonsense to make a posting look impressive.

Ford Mondeo - Engine oil in diesel - jc2

It is neither a Volvo or a VW PD! Can we get back to the problem.

It is neither a Volvo or a VW PD! Can we get back to the problem.

Correct.

On a Mondeo the high pressure pump is in the tank, it uses diesel for lubrication.

Just out of curiosity has anyone ever held one of these pumps in their hands? I'm going out now to check the colour of the fuel in the tank. Then build her up and go for a run to see what happens
Ford Mondeo - Engine oil in diesel - gordonbennet
Just out of curiosity has anyone ever held one of these pumps in their hands? I'm going out now to check the colour of the fuel in the tank. Then build her up and go for a run to see what happens

Sounds like a plan, you could disconnect the return pipe and fill a jar with fuel with engine running, should be obvious if its oil contaminated.

Ford Mondeo - Engine oil in diesel - elekie&a/c doctor

Sorry,but there is no in tank fuel pump on a 2004 diesel mondeo.The lift/suction pump is in the back of the main high pressure common rail pump.This is driven from the engine timing chain.Black fuel tends to suggest either contamination in the tank or the first signs of the main high pressure pump breaking up.Check for any metal debris/swarf in the filter.

Sorry to go off topic but I feel I need to defend myself and the other "so called experts" here on the forums from the "spirited amateurs" with misinformed opinions.

As a fully qualified, NVQ level 3, IMI ATA registered diagnostic technician with over 28 years experience in the motor trade with many dealership and independent training courses under my belt, I feel I am entitled to call myself The Mechanic. Yes, I will "talk down" to anyone who has the audacity to suggest, at their own admission, not to be an expert who has no formal training or nationally recognised qualification, that I do not know about engines.

There are loads of "trolls" lurking on many forums who just like to express their unfounded, misinformed opinions to whoever will listen, but ultimately they are found out to know little or nothing about the subject such as in this case.

And by the way, which field are you expert in ? It's not the one down the road from my work is it ? I see they have a new scarecrow.............

Edited by The-Mechanic on 06/11/2013 at 21:37

And by the way, which field are you expert in ? It's not the one down the road from my work is it ? I see they have a new scarecrow.............

Edited by Avant on 07/11/2013 at 23:02

From an engineering and mechanical background with the certificates and awards to prove it, that's where from.

Edited by Avant on 07/11/2013 at 23:02

Sorry,but there is no in tank fuel pump on a 2004 diesel mondeo.The lift/suction pump is in the back of the main high pressure common rail pump.This is driven from the engine timing chain.Black fuel tends to suggest either contamination in the tank or the first signs of the main high pressure pump breaking up.Check for any metal debris/swarf in the filter.

Well we had a 2003 Mondeo TDCi and the pump was in the tank, don't think they changed it specially for the 2004 model.

I know this because the fuel sender failed (luckily while it was under warranty. The dealer had to change the entire in-tank unit which included the pump, if we had paid the cost would have been well over £1000.

Yep tank contaminated, going to try and get some piping tomorrow and run a feed and return line into a 5gallon jar.
Seriously guys less of the b****ing the ones here who have suggested high pressure pumps know as well as I do that it's the most plausible fault as for the ONE person who's against it I'll put it down to either trolling or it being some cub who's still in tech repeating his first year exams ;-)
Ford Mondeo - Engine oil in diesel - alan1302

LOL Very grown up - shown to be wrong and going off in a strop! LOL

Why are you laughing, have you read most of the drivvel people post on this forum.

Why are you laughing, have you read most of the drivvel people post on this forum.

I do read drivel - and I laugh at it.

You were shown to be wrong and went on a strop so I laughed at you as well. Sometimes we make mistakes in life, admit to them and move on.

Ford Mondeo - Engine oil in diesel - Ordovices

Ooh, are we in one of those "must have the last word" battles?

Ooh, are we in one of those "must have the last word" battles?

Could be :)

Ford Mondeo - Engine oil in diesel - Collos25

Edited by Collos25 on 07/11/2013 at 18:24

Ford Mondeo - Engine oil in diesel - Collos25

A lot of it comes from yourselve when you want to get out of a hole stop digging

Well, you're doing your best to make yours heard......

skidpan,

Let's be honest, not one of your replies has been of help to the OP. The posters replies that have at least tried to help have been met with derision by yourself and you still continue to berate them even though you have been proven incorrect. What is it you are trying to prove ? It's not a competition of he who shouts loudest, gets heard !!!!

As has been suggested, it's time to take it on the chin, get over it and move on. There's plenty of other postings on the forum that you can pick a fight on. You never know, you may one day win one......

Ford Mondeo - Engine oil in diesel - Avant

I wonder if some people stop to think what impression is being given to Rory who is a new poster. There is no need for a topic like this to lead to insults. If you disagree with a post, say so plainly, but it doesn't mean that the person you disagree with is an idiot.

Unless this thread keeps to the topic, I'll close it.

Edited by Avant on 10/11/2013 at 15:27

Sorry Avant for going off topic with my recent postings. It's just infuriating when you try to give your help to the best of your ability and knowledge only to be met with derisory comments such as talking "utter tosh" etc etc.

There are plenty of posters here that can disagree with the advice given by not resorting to the kind of confrontational and inflammatory comments used by some, and I unfortunately have lowered myself to the same level in my frustration.

If a contributor to a post has experience in the given topic I would expect the lesser knowledgeable ones to defer to them, and not outrightly dismiss their comments out of hand.

Frustration leads to harsh comments especially when someone says everyone else is wrong and that it can't under any circumstance be the fault. Anyways back to the matter at hand, I flushed the fuel lines and ran the engine off a seperate file supply and within about 30mins the diesel turned black so it can only be the fuel pump

Well that's good and bad news mate. Good as in you found the source of contamination, bad that you have the expense of replacing the HP pump now !!!!

It's not the expense that bothers me it's fitting the dam thing lol.
I'll give respect to any man who speaks sense the guys clearly a troll out to wind people up
I'll give respect to any man who speaks sense the guys clearly a troll out to wind people up

If you are referring to me I can assure you I am no troll. I have been posting on here for a good while and always give honest advice, if people do not like it that is their problem and not mine.

I will repeat exactly what I said earlier, when the fuel sender failed in our Mondeo TDCi the whole in tank unit had to be replaced and that unit included the fuel pump. Luckily for us it was warranty work other wise the cost would have hurt badly.

Ford Mondeo - Engine oil in diesel - Soichiro
Problem is Skidpan your memory is failing,that is not exactly what you said earlier.
That is only part of what you said. The rest was drivel and insults.
Best to be quiet now. I've said it before, this kind of nonsense makes this forum incredibly unwelcoming.
Problem is Skidpan your memory is failing,that is not exactly what you said earlier. That is only part of what you said. The rest was drivel and insults. Best to be quiet now. I've said it before, this kind of nonsense makes this forum incredibly unwelcoming.

My memeory certainly is not failing, this is what i said above.

Well we had a 2003 Mondeo TDCi and the pump was in the tank, don't think they changed it specially for the 2004 model.

I know this because the fuel sender failed (luckily while it was under warranty). The dealer had to change the entire in-tank unit which included the pump, if we had paid the cost would have been well over £1000.

Exactly what I wrote in my last post.

Ford Mondeo - Engine oil in diesel - Ordovices

What utter tosh. If engine oil got into the fuel it would likely as not block filters and damage injectors as well as putting the emmisions way out. If diesel gets into the sump the result is sometimes catatrophic.

No manufacturer would design such a system and no such system would pass the regulations.

Its that well known that none of the 6 diesel cars I have owned have done it.

This is also what you said earlier. Given that the problem of tandem pump seals going and leading to oil contamination of fuels, I think you must agree that your categorical and sweeping statements are, in fact, utter tosh, and your experience and knowledge limited.

Agree that this does not apply to Mondeos, but you were addressing all manufacturers, not Ford specifically.

Once again we find somone with an over-inflated view of their own competence parading as an expert. Perhaps we should introduce a prefix to these posts-NINE BIT (now I'm no expert, but I think)

Edited by Ordovices on 10/11/2013 at 10:56

Agree that this does not apply to Mondeos, but you were addressing all manufacturers, not Ford specifically.

Thank the lord for that, someone agrees that I am correct.

It is also a fact that none of the diesels I have owned has dumped ngine oil into the fuel.

Perhaps an apology is in order now.

Thank the lord for that, someone agrees that I am correct.

Read the post again, he wasn't agreeing with you.

It is also a fact that none of the diesels I have owned has dumped ngine oil into the fuel.

Well, you have been lucky then. Rory has tested his HP pump and has conclusively proved that oil is getting into the fuel system via it, yet you still maintain this is impossible.

Perhaps an apology is in order now.

Whenever you feel like giving one, I'm sure we'll accept it !!!!

Read the post again, he wasn't agreeing with you.

What is the problem with you. the words used were "Agree that this does not apply to Mondeos". That is pretty clear in my opinion.

Ford Mondeo - Engine oil in diesel - Avant

The insults are still flying, with no benefit to Rory or his question, so thread closed.

If you still need advice, Rory, do feel free to start another thread. I can promise I'll censor it if words like 'tosh' and 'drivel' appear again. There's nothing wrong with healthy disagreement, but words like that have no place in a forum like this.