Any - Waterless coolant - AlhambraDriver

I was watching Wheeler Dealers last night and Ed China used waterless coolant in a TR6.

Does anyone have experience with this type of product?

Any - Waterless coolant - Wackyracer

It is very expensive with few real benefits over using a good conventional products IMHO.

Any - Waterless coolant - Hamsafar

Apparently, someone's insurance didn't pay when a coolant leak caught fire as it should have been water based!

www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=13...t

www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=9&...9

Any - Waterless coolant - mss1tw

Apparently, someone's insurance didn't pay when a coolant leak caught fire as it should have been water based!

www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=13...t

www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=9&...9

Think I'll pass!

Any - Waterless coolant - galileo

Apart from higher cost (and possible flammability), waterless coolant does not have as high a specific heat (i.e. capacity to absorb heat) as plain water, so in theory not as efficient as a coolant.

Any - Waterless coolant - AlhambraDriver

Thanks for your replies. It did sound too good.

Any - Waterless coolant - Hamsafar

Sounds like they're using brake fluid!

Any - Waterless coolant - dan86

Brake fluid is corrosive and would ruin the cooling system.

Any - Waterless coolant - Wackyracer

If this is the case, Then why does it not corrode the braking system? After all both braking system and cooling system comprise of various metals and rubber parts.

As far as I remember there is no corrosive warning on a bottle of brake fluid.

Any - Waterless coolant - jc2

Brake fluid is a strong solvent-it'll go thro' paint like a hot knife thro' butter-but not corrosive.

Any - Waterless coolant - skidpan

Brake fluid is a strong solvent-it'll go thro' paint like a hot knife thro' butter-but not corrosive.

Correct. But brake fluid is hygroscopic i.e. its absorbs moisture and it is this moisture that corrodes brake system internals as well as making the fluid and your brakes less efficient. That is why it needs replacing every 2 or 3 years.

Any - Waterless coolant - Ordovices

Its all relative. Nitric acid is corrosive, eats through metal a treat, but we still keep it in glass bottles, hydrofluoric acid eats glass and metal, but is fine in polyethylene.

Brake fluid is corrosive on certain materials (and that depends which DOT).

Any - Waterless coolant - dan86

The waterless coolant isn't brake iv seen it advertised in a motor factors near me and its a clear liquid if I recall correctly. Brake fluid would be a disaster on the colling system as its probably more flammable than petrol iv seen a car fire witch was caused bur break fluid dripping on to a hot manifold. The car was a total mess.

Any - Waterless coolant - Galaxy

My bet is that the waterless coolant is just a suitable viscosity of Polyethylene Glycol, which, as I'm sure most will know, is the base used for many modern types of antifreeze.

When, in my dim-and-distant past, I used to work in a physics laboratory, we regularly used to use polyethylene glycol in heated water baths. From what I remember it was good for up to about 160 degrees centigrade. We didn't use water because, obviously, the PG could go up to a higher temperature, plus you had the additional advantage that it didn't leave any deposits like water does.

Any - Waterless coolant - galileo

The website of Evans, a retailer of this stuff, contains an assortment of pseudo scientific stuff.

It claims their product is better at cooling at hotspots because water forms steam at these points. It doesn't mention that the latent heat of vaporisation of water is about 536 calories per gram, which is heat that has to be absorbed from the hotspot to turn the water into steam.

Another line uses 'viscous' when the word should be 'vicious'. I would be tempted to regard the stuff as a variety of snake oil; I am willing to be convinced if anyone has genuine independent evidence of real benefits for ordinary car users.

Any - Waterless coolant - brum

plus you had the additional advantage that it didn't leave any deposits like water does.

Dirty water?? ;)

I read somewhere that manufacturers now use distilled water in their cooling systems - presumably to get rid of limescale/mineral problems. Dont know if thats true though.

Any - Waterless coolant - Ordovices

Strangely, brake fluid, DOT4 and 5.1 is not classified as flammable under H&S guidelines, although it will burn. It's all owing to its flash point IIRC.