What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Need Help on choosing a Small School Run car ASAP - TSSK

Hi All,

I'm looking for a Super Min for her indoors for running around town - school runs & after school clubs mainly.

What I Require:

- UPTO £3000 to spend.

- 5 Doors

- Automatic

- Reliable

- Prefer Electric Rear windows too if possible.

What I have been looking at, in alphabetical order:

- Honda Jazz

- Mazda2

- Mitsubishi Colt (front Pillar visibility is a worry)

- Nissan Micra

- Toyota Yaris

What other cars would you suggest & not & why

Thanks for you help in advance.

Edited by Avant on 06/10/2013 at 00:51

Need Help on choosing a Small School Run car ASAP - TSSK

How do you EDIT a Forum post?

I want to get rid of "Suggestions very Welcome" in the Title

Please help & input tot the thread itself would be greatly appreciated.

(Edit - removed as requested, although there was nothing wrong with it as it stood!)

Edited by Avant on 06/10/2013 at 00:52

Suggestions very Welcome - Need Help on choosing a Small School Run car ASAP - moob

at that money you're looking at cars around 6-8 years old.

i'd avoid the Jazz, as their CVT auto boxes are known to fail.

had a colt before, front pillar is a pain, otherwise good reliable wee car, dunno about their autos

i think the review of the mirca on here is quite scathing, avoid

dunno about the others apart from in general terms they're reliable cars

Suggestions very Welcome - Need Help on choosing a Small School Run car ASAP - oldtoffee

I'd add a Kia Picanto to that list. My wife had one a 1.1 auto and it was IMO one of the best cars we've owned. Reliable (100%), comfy for me (6'1', 15+ stone) and good in town and smooth on the motorway. Economy was pretty average but that was the only down side.

Edit: typo

Edited by oldtoffee on 05/10/2013 at 22:21

Need Help on choosing a Small School Run car ASAP - Avant

Check which of your shortlist have a semi-automatic transmission (I think the Yaris has) and avoid it like the plague. These transmissions are both jerky and unreliable.

You could add the Ford Fiesta and Focus to your list: the advantage of Fords is that there are lots of them around to choose from.

Need Help on choosing a Small School Run car ASAP - skidpan

Fiesta Focus have CVT boxes, you will either love them or hate them. I hate them, all revs and no action.

We have had 2 Micra's in the family, in a totalof almost 9 years of ownership other than servicing and tyres no problems at all. Not absolutely 100% certain but I think the auto box is a propper torque converter one but you will only find rear electric windows on the top models.

Need Help on choosing a Small School Run car ASAP - The-Mechanic

I'd be tempted to look far a VW Polo or it's close relatives the Skoda Fabia or Seat Ibiza. All are available in 5 door autos and depending on spec, can have the required electric rear windows.

Having worked on VAG cars for a few years now, I've not come across any problems with the auto 'boxes, and the autos seem to sell for a lower price than the manuals so you could pick up a bit of a bargain VW and possibly a bigger one with the Seat or Skoda equivalent if you're not a badge snob.

I agree with the comment made on the Yaris auto (MMT) transmission. I worked for Toyota dealership and ALL models with the MMT box were terrible for jerking changes. Plus the box is actually a manual one with a mechatronic unit for clutch operation and shifting duties so is a complicated unit to fix when problems arise.

Not had any dealings with the other cars on your shortlist so so would defer comment on them to others who have experience on them.