What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Honda Jazz - 1.2 Honda Jazz motorway fuel efficiency - Huhhh

Hi this is my first post here and I have a question I will like to ask.

I had recently bought a 2005 1.2 Honda Jazz. The car feels nice and nimble for driving around town. However, everyday I have make a 90 miles journey. The acceleration pass 50m/h isn't vey good and I have to keep the engine at almost 3.5k rpm to keep the car at 70m/h. Is this bad for the car and bad for the fuel economy as well? I have taken the average fuel consumption over three days and I have got approx 40 miles per gallon. This is acceptable for a 1.2? For my journey, it is mainly 90% motorway, and sometimes I have to due with traffic jams with the remaining 10% journey.

Will be better fuel consumption wise if I were to get a 1.4 Honda Jazz or perhaps a 1.6/2.0 Civic? For the long run(1-2 years), should I trade in my current 1.2 Honda Jazz for those?

Thx!

Honda Jazz - 1.2 Honda Jazz motorway fuel efficiency - Avant

My wife had a 1.4 (actually nearer 1.3) Jazz and that was a high-revving, low-geared combination of engine and transmission, so the 1.2 is probably even more so. The Jazz was quite frenetic on motorways - far less relaxed than the Ford Ka which she had before the Jazz.

I hesitate to recommend selling a car that you've just bought - but a 2.0 Civic followed the Jazz and suited her very well until she was seduced by a Mini. The 2.0 Civic (the Type S)was a very good car and would suit your needs.

thx for the reply!

You are absolutely correct in describing the Jazz on motorway, it was far from a relaxing journey on the Jazz. The car do not feel very stable, I have to keep adjusting the wheel to keep it in a straight line.

I am currently looking at a 2.0 Type S Civic online for a few days. Very tempting, but I am a little worried about the fuel consumption and insurance premium.

Honda Jazz - 1.2 Honda Jazz motorway fuel efficiency - John Boy

"The car do not feel very stable, I have to keep adjusting the wheel to keep it in a straight line."

My car (not a Jazz) felt like that for a while. It turned out that the front wheel alignment needed to be reset.

My Jazz had just been serviced and had the alignment done. Maybe the mechanic has not done a good job with it.

The car feels ok when its 50-60m/h, it starts to get wobbly going past 70m/h.

I think I will try and give the Type S Civic a test drive during the weekends.

Honda Jazz - 1.2 Honda Jazz motorway fuel efficiency - chuenmanc

We used to run an '08 Honda Jazz 1.4 auto for school run duties. On the occasions I used it for commuting (35 miles each way), it would average over 50mpg. It was certainly a little noisier than I woud like at motorway speeds, but excellent fuel economy from a petrol auto, in my opinion.

It never felt as sure-footed as the Discovery3 we also owned at the time, but it was never unstable.

Edited by chuenmanc on 01/10/2013 at 14:07

Honda Jazz - 1.2 Honda Jazz motorway fuel efficiency - mss1tw

It might not be an ideal driving environment but it's not harmful to the car.

Honda Jazz - 1.2 Honda Jazz motorway fuel efficiency - tanvir

It is imperative that when test driving a car, you take it on the sort of journey you'll be doing in it the majority of the time. Too many dealers insist that a 5 minute drive round the block, never going above 30 mph is enough!

Honda Jazz - 1.2 Honda Jazz motorway fuel efficiency - thunderbird

If you sell your Jazz and buy a Civic the money you loose will never be recouped by your fule savings.

If the Jazz iz reliable keep it and when you eventually need to change cars buy a more suitable one.

As other have said it will not harm your Jazz driving on the motorway, only your ears. Turn the radio up.

Honda Jazz - 1.2 Honda Jazz motorway fuel efficiency - dan86

My uncle in Germany has the same engine in his jazz and he loves the car. Her drives from Bissendorf to London several times a year in the car. He has never complained anout it being unstable on the motorway maybe try getting the stearing geometry and wheels balanced somewhere else to see if that cures the problem.

Honda Jazz - 1.2 Honda Jazz motorway fuel efficiency - Bromptonaut

My sister runs a Jazz of similar vintage, don't know which engine, and complains that it's not all that economical. lucky to get 40mpg on a run. As a passenger for a 280 mile round trip weekend before last last, mostly on motorway, it was OK. Quite high revving compared with my diesel cars but with good refinement and low noise. Gearbox sounded notchy though and I thought trim basic compared with my Berlingo.

Need to correct line on m/way could be crosswinds or, if in lane one, ruts left by HGV traffic. Variations in camber can also give impression of a pull to left, most pronounced in lane one.

Honda Jazz - 1.2 Honda Jazz motorway fuel efficiency - Andrew-T

As other have said it will not harm your Jazz driving on the motorway, only your ears. Turn the radio up.

... and harm them even more ?

Honda Jazz - 1.2 Honda Jazz motorway fuel efficiency - craig-pd130

40mpg is pretty good for that sort of usage, and cruising at 3 - 3,500 rpm is not at all harmful for the car.

Just keep an eye on the engine oil level to make sure it doesn't drop.

I think you'd be wasting your money trading the car in, any new car may use more fuel on top of what you'd lose trading in.

Try experimenting with tyre pressures a little -- start at the manufacturer recommended pressures to see if that helps with the 'nervous' feel.