Ford S-MAX - Reasonable wear and tear? - crjos

Following a good discussion on this forum, I went for a Ford SMax last year, and spent £9k on a 2007 2.5T from a main dealer. I've been really happy with the car.

I've since put it in for a service to a different (more local) main dealer, and they have found £2k worth of work. They reckon that neither they warranty nor the MOT failure policy cover any of it. We've done about 5000 miles so the total is now about 57k.

The work to do are new front brake pads and discs, rear shocks (one was leaking) but the main bit (£1300) has been to investigate an engine management light which revealed that I need to replace the breather pipe.

My question is does this seam reasonable - and I'm just unlucky - or do I have any basis to complain to the original dealer for selling a car not of reasonable quality?

Ford S-MAX - Reasonable wear and tear? - Falkirk Bairn

If you buy a 2nd hand car you must give supplying dealer a chance to fix it - going to another dealer in the first instance is not the route you should have taken.

Pads and discs are consumables

The other issues - shockers (Wear & tear probably) & EM Light should be supplying dealer - if within 6 months of purchase you have a better case - insurance based warranties have too many escape clauses.

Ford S-MAX - Reasonable wear and tear? - unthrottled

but the main bit (£1300) has been to investigate an engine management light which revealed that I need to replace the breather pipe.

Come again? £1300 to find a vacuum leak!!! Tell them to stuff their bill and invest in some technician training. You can leak chase with a can of carb cleaner (£3.99 from most car accessory shops).

Just to clarity - £300 to open up the engine and trace a misfire and engine management light (which turned out to be this one issue), just under £500 for the parts and the remainder for labour. (It is a main dealer in London so the rates are high.)

Ford S-MAX - Reasonable wear and tear? - elekie&a/c doctor

Discs and pads I would consider wear and tear.The breather pipe issue is not just a pipe.This fault is common on this (volvo) engine.The parts required are a new oil filter housing and modified breather elbow pipe.The 2 parts are around £250 or cheaper from a Volvo dealer.Not a nice job to do and around 2 hours labour.The breather failure may be an mot related fault as it affects emissions.hth

Edited by elekie&a/c doctor on 30/09/2013 at 18:38

Ford S-MAX - Reasonable wear and tear? - Cyd

The breather pipe issue is not just a pipe.This fault is common on this (volvo) engine.The parts required are a new oil filter housing and modified breather elbow pipe.The 2 parts are around £250 or cheaper from a Volvo dealer.Not a nice job to do and around 2 hours labour.The breather failure may be an mot related fault as it affects emissions.hth

So, in other words, an ABSOLUTE MAX £500 job then ??? For which the OP is being charged £1300.

New discs required at 57k? Seems fair. I replaced my front discs on my 9-3 just recently at 54k.

Leaking shock? As long as it really is leaking then the pair need replacing. Can't justify doing just one at 57k.

Look to have these done at a trusted independent though - dealer prices will be way too high IMO (although I would do both jobs myself - if you want a job done properly and all that)

Thanks all. I had already agreed for the dealer to do the brakes and shocks, but I've got the car back now and will be going to an independent garage for the breather fix.