What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Toyota Avensis 52 1.8 VVTi - HC emissions - AlexVK

My HC emissions have gone up in the last two years, from low single digits at 2011 MOT to about 160 at 2013 MOT. During this period I also noticed significant loss of oil (there are no leaks). I have been adding about a litre of oil every 1,500 miles, possibly more often than that. I am wondering whether this dramatic increase in HC emissions is a consequence of the engine burning oil, and whether I should expect further rise in HC emissions which might then lead to the car failing to pass MOT (max HC 200). CO emissions also seem to have gone up, currently at 0.18 natural, 0.14 fast with the maximum levels being 0.3 and 0.2 respectively. Not sure if CO emissions are in any way related to HC emissions. The car has done less than 60,000.

Many thanks for reading and taking time to respond.

Alex

Toyota Avensis 52 1.8 VVTi - HC emissions - elekie&a/c doctor

This 1.8 engine fitted to Toyota models of this era are notorious for their oil consumption.It is a piston/ring issue and the only cure is a rebuilt engine,not a cost effective solution on a car this age.HC is the measure of unburnt fuel in the exhaust emission,possibly affected by oil contamination.The slight increase in co level is nothing to worry about and I am sure if you keep the oil level in check (level and correct spec),the car will pass any future test without problems.

Toyota Avensis 52 1.8 VVTi - HC emissions - AlexVK

Thank you elekie&a/c doctor.