What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Fiesta Zetec 2003 - Ballast Resistor - fredthefifth

Hi All, blower only working on full so tried to buy a new ballast resistor from Ford to be told that I have to buy the whole motor at £200 plus as it can't be purchased separately. He seemed genuine enough but though I would ask for any opinions here and whether I have any other options?

Thanks.

FTF

Ford Fiesta Zetec 2003 - Ballast Resistor - elekie&a/c doctor

Can't see that being correct,but if it is,buy one for a Focus of a similar age;around £15.Perhaps he was refering to the cooling fan for the radiator.hth

Edited by elekie&a/c doctor on 06/09/2013 at 18:43

Yes thanks, I will have a look on ebay. I've stood on my head to try and identify the part but can't be sure. Anyone any idea whether its passenger or driver side? I have spotted something high up on the drivers side but it doesn't look like what I am seeing on eBay.

This is a Mark V 1.4 Zetec.

Thanks.

FTF

Ford Fiesta Zetec 2003 - Ballast Resistor - mfarrow

The Mk V Focus has not yet been launched, which may be why you are struggling to find parts for it.

The 2003 Focus should be Mk I. 1311115 is listed as the correct part. Is that what you're seeing on eBay?

Hi Guys, this is for a 2004 Fiesta Zetec Mark V. I think a Focus came into it from a reply from elekie&a/c doctor above but unless I've got confused somewhere that I haven't spotted I have alway referred to Fiesta although just noticed that I missed the Fiesta word from my reply above so appol's for that.

Thanks.

FTF

Edited by fredthefifth on 07/09/2013 at 11:10

Found it and removed it. What a job, I'm not really built for lying almost upside down with my head up by the clutch pedal, but got there in the end. Got the part number and ones on order from eBay for £11 delivered Tuesday.

Ah, yes I blame elecdoc for that :-D. Glad you've found it, there's not many cars where you don't have to push the seats back and lie upside down in the footwell to get to these things.

Hi All, just thought I would let you know that the one from ebay has lasted less than two weeks. Any views on whether this could be a faulty / poor qualtity part or maybe another underlying fault that could cause it to blow? If the latter any ideas?

Thanks, FTF.

The resistors rely on a circulation of air through the blower to keep them cool. Check that the pollen filter is:

a) Dry
b) Not clogged with leaves etc.

Ford Fiesta Zetec 2003 - Ballast Resistor - elekie&a/c doctor

I would guess that either the part is sub standard or the blower motor is drawing too much current due to age or its bearings becoming seized.In most cases of resistor fail,it is the thermal circuit breaker at the top of the resistor than fails due to this condition.hth

Ok, thanks both. Pollen filter seems ok and airflow is fine. Fan seems to work ok, not noisy, starts ok etc. Given this I'm going to assume faulty part, initially at least.

Thanks for the advice.