What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
MG3 - groaver

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/new-cars/2013-08/mg-motor-uk-announces-3-prices-starting-at-gbp8399/

A Citroen Saxo VTR/S for a new generation?

MG3 - skidpan

But who's going to buy a car form a brand with very few dealers. Daihatsu lost dealers and stopped selling cars, Subaru and Mitsubishi are going the same way. Look what happened to Daewoo.

Cheap is not necessarily a bargain.

MG3 - davecooper

On paper, this car deserves to sell well. However, as you say, the support network is so important. Although the dealer is important, even more so are the servicing/repair centres. Our nearest Hyundai dealer is some 35 miles away yet there are dozens of new Hyundai's driving around in our area. However, we have a Hyundai service centre as part of one of our large dealers, this is what MG needs to do nationally to succeed.

MG3 - daveyK_UK

It does look good.

But how can they expect to be taken serious on a handful of dealers?

They need at least 1 national dealership chain to take them on.

MG3 - groaver

I do not disagree about lack of dealers.

However Daihatsu and Subaru lost their way because of the strenth of the Yen against the pound to begin with that caused dealers to struggle and die on the vine. Others have intimated that the importer is lacking the nous to take those brands forward too.

Daewoo? GM bought them out and look at the brand now.

MG3 - skidpan

My point was simply that a lack of dealers is a huge stumbling block. The manufacturers I picked were just examples. Look how long its taken Hyundai and Kia to get good market percentages and they have had decent networks for years.

MG3 - daveyK_UK

Your right.

Its why Dacia have been so successfull, they came in right after Renault had got rid of their worst dealers and underperforming dealers.

And by utilising the Renault dealer network, they got immediate national coverage.

Its one of the stumbling blocks for Geely who wish to come to the UK, but dont want to go down the IM group route and have a skinny dealership network.