What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Credit unions or wonga - tony g
www.guardian.co.uk/money/2013/may/11/credit-union-...e

Credit unions are currently being touted as an alternative to wonga ?

Reading the above ,they are going into liquidation at the rate of one a month because of bad debt .These poor oppressed individuals who are so badly treated by the likes of wonga ,won't repay their debts even when it's at a low rate .From premises that are subsidised by local authorities .

In a previous post ,I asked would you lend your money to wonga,s customer .

As a credit union goes into liquidation ,the depositors are guaranteed by the taxpayer up to £85,000 . The end result is that as a taxpayer your not lending your money ,your giving it away .

Wonga charge high rates , in part because of the high default rate among thier borrowers ,the borrowers that do pay subsidise the ones that don't .

Wonga are an irresponsible lender ? Ripping of the poor and desperate ? They reject 60% of all applicants .
Credit unions or wonga - jamie745

You really do have a seething hatrid of people with bad credit don't you?

You spend enough time on here beating them into the ground, god know how you get round to selling any cars.

( You really do have a seething hatrid of people with bad credit don't you?

You spend enough time on here beating them into the ground, god know how you get round to selling any cars.)

Not at all ,what really Ps me off is that wonga s borrowers are seen to often as victims of the evil loan companies .Instead of the reckless foolish individuals that they to often are .

.Theyre obliged to borrow from wonga and the like ,because they defaulted on the reasonable rate lenders ,such as credit unions that we tax payers now have to subsidise .
Credit unions or wonga - FP

"Theyre obliged to borrow from wonga and the like ,because they defaulted on the reasonable rate lenders ,such as credit unions..."

ARE they the same people? Do they really borrow from credit unions, fail to repay, and then turn to Wonga at some later stage? I doubt if they would get a loan from Wonga - see my other post.

"Theyre obliged to borrow from wonga and the like..."

They are not "obliged" - they choose to do so. Having said that, I'm certainly not on the side of Wonga and the rest, who are just being exploitative.

Edited by FP on 26/07/2013 at 19:23

credit unions that we tax payers now have to subsidise .

Oh, another one who believes taxpaying people never borrow money, only unemployed people do.

(credit unions that we tax payers now have to subsidise .

Oh, another one who believes taxpaying people never borrow money, only unemployed people do.)

You misunderstand ! The point is that when a credit union goes into liquidation and the union has insufficient assets to repay its depositors ,we as taxpayers guarantee the depositors the return of all their capital up to £85000 . So if you invest £50,000 and the union folds and you only recover £25000.The taxpayer ,me and you ,pay you the extra £25000 .

Just as a reference point ,as well as selling lots of cars Jamie ,I also worked as a finance manager for many years .I worked with most of the major lenders as well sub prime companies such as Welcome Finance ,who went into liquidation trying to provide finance to the difficult sub prime market .

Edited by tony g on 26/07/2013 at 20:06

I'm very doubtful about Tony's assumption that the same people who borrow from credit unions are those who borrow from Wonga and the like.

As for his argument that Wonga charge high rates beacuse of the high default rate among its borrowers, that does not sit well along the claim that Wonga rejects 60% of all applicants, so it presumably gets the ones likely to repay the loan. A quotation from Wikipedia (which I haven't got the time to follow up) also says, "...Wonga's technology could reliably reject two thirds of applications and predict to 93% accuracy the ability of a customer to repay a loan." So if the vast majority of their customers do repay, the high interest rate is even less justifiable, as is any remaining belief that they are responsible lenders.

The real problem, as I have said elsewhere, is people's priorities, aspirations, mindset, the consumer society, the pursuit of image, the cult of celebrity/status and so on.

As far as I'm concerned, if you can't afford it you don't get it. I would do almost anything rather than borrow money - from anywhere (a mortgage excepted).

Edited by FP on 26/07/2013 at 15:38

I don't think people borrow from Wonga to have a new kitchen fitted. Generally they're skint desperate people with little other option who don't realise that signing onto benefits actually is a better option than going to these sharks.

(I'm very doubtful about Tony's assumption that the same people who borrow from credit unions are those who borrow from Wonga and the like.)

Well the Archbishop of Canterbury ,obviously disagrees ,he wants to subsidise a credit union business to compete with them .I don't suppose he'll ever admit that it was a disastrous idea ,as the losses mount and the c of e is forced to withdraw from a business that's best left to professionals , not well intentioned individuals .

(As for his argument that Wonga charge high rates because of the high default rate among its borrowers, that does not sit well along the claim that Wonga rejects 60% of all applicants, ) etc

Wonga reject 60 % of all applicants because they have an horrendous record of non payment to companies similar to them , put simply the past credit history of the rejected applicants show that any money loaned to them will never be recovered , the successful borrowers won't pay on time ,wonga staff will have to ring them and knock on their doors to recover the loan .

(The real problem, as I have said elsewhere, is people's priorities, aspirations, mindset, the consumer society, the pursuit of image, the cult of celebrity/status and so on.p)

(As far as I'm concerned, if you can't afford it you don't get it. I would do almost anything rather than borrow money - from anywhere (a mortgage excepted).)

Well I never thought I would agree with FP ,however the two paragraphs above are difficult to disagree with . My only point is that there is nothing wrong with credit to obtain the the things we want ,but don't borrow more than you can afford to repay and don't commit to a payment that's difficult to maintain if your circumstances change .ie don't be reckless feckless .

Credit unions or wonga - focussed

Today's news reveals that the Church of England pension fund is an investor in the company that is funding Wonga - you couldn't make that up could you?

I do not have a problem with the way that Wonga conducts it's business. Anybody who borrows money from them knows EXACTLY how much they will have to repay, it's so transparent it's made of glass - do you know how much your mortgage from your bank or building society will cost you over the term of the mortgage? No of course you don't- it's shrouded in mystery and uncertainty. But banks and building societies are regarded as responsible lenders, Why?

I would pay more attention to someone who complained that they borrowed 40 K to buy a house and 25 years later they found out that they they had repaid something of the order of 85 - 100 K to borrow that 40 K, that's what I call irresponsible lending.

Credit unions or wonga - daveyjp
Tony g. The £85,000 protection is paid via the FSCS, an insurance paid for by customers of regulated banks including credit unions. The taxpayer does not pick up the tab, unlike it did for all the banks which were on the brink of failure 5 years ago.

Compared to how much those bailouts cost, credit union bailouts are chicken feed.
If the customers of regulated banks pick up the bill ,then ultimately were all still paying ,so what point are you making ?

Because the cost of bailing out the banks was horrendous ,it doesn't justify the lower cost of refunding credit union depositors .

Because the cost of bailing out the banks was horrendous ,it doesn't justify the lower cost of refunding credit union depositors.

It may not justify it but it does prove bleating about it is pretty pointless and futile.

In the greater scheme of things, you're ranting about stuff which doesn't matter and that makes no difference. Really.

Credit unions or wonga - alastairq

well, having absent-mindedly trawled through this thread, I find myself disappointed at the self-righteous attitudes of some posters, towards debt.

All I will say is, none of you know what may lie around the corner.

When you get married, it is under the expectation it is for life.

Statistically, that is far from the case.

So all those marvelous financial plans, mortgages, loans, etc suddenly become your worst nightmare.

Got a job for life?

Some sort of 'career?'

Fall off a ladder whist cleaning your [mortgaged] gutters, and your lives could take an entirely unintended change of direction.

Those who were employed , by such as the quoted 'Welcome' finance, might well today be amongst those being vilified for bumping along the bottom of the economic pond...out of work, unable to find appropriate employment.

I don't have any debt whatsoever...in the accepted sense.

Then, I don't have a lifestyle most on here would find acceptable, either.

But,if I were to apply for 'credit' anywhere, I would probably be rejected.

Because I don't have debts.

Therefore have little or no record of re-paying credit, without default.

It is a strange aspect of the economic society we live amongst, that those deemed a good risk,credit-wise, are those up to their necks in debt.

The argument about 'choices' doesn't work either.

The purpose of advertising is about pressure. If we all were able to exercise free will, why do the financial industry spend so many billions on advertising, if it didn't achieve the objectives?

Like those who sell sofas, the business models seem based upon exploiting folks' lack of knowledge and awareness, about their choices, their options.

(well, having absent-mindedly trawled through this thread, I find myself disappointed at the self-righteous attitudes of some posters, towards debt.)

Alistairq

I've no objection at all to anyone borrowing money to acquire the things that they want .We all do it even if its only a mortgage .

The whole point of my original post ,is that I object to the proposition touted by politicians and now the church ,that customers of wonga are in some way victims ,that should be in some way be subsidised by the rest of us .

Wonga customers exist because they have defaulted on other loan organisations such as credit unions .

"Wonga customers exist because they have defaulted on other loan organisations such as credit unions."

So you keep saying. If they have a poor history of repayment they are unlikely to get a loan from the likes of Wonga, who apparently have a refined system of predicting the likelihood of defaulting. I've said that before, too.

("Wonga customers exist because they have defaulted on other loan organisations such as credit unions."

So you keep saying. If they have a poor history of repayment they are unlikely to get a loan from the likes of Wonga, who apparently have a refined system of predicting the likelihood of defaulting. I've said that before, too.)

Having worked with sub prime finance companies ,I'm qualified to comment ,why do you think borrowers use wonga ?

It's because they've defaulted on prime finance lenders ,and quite possibly medium rate lenders such as provident 250% apr.

As I keep saying ,the majority of wonga s borrowers are not hapless victims ,they're at best irresponsible with little thought to tomorrow .I want it now is their major mindset .

"...why do you think borrowers use wonga ?

It's because they've defaulted on prime finance lenders ,and quite possibly medium rate lenders such as provident 250% apr."

You just go on repeating it, but it doesn't make it more convincing.

Let's do some thinking, Tony. Wonga rejects around 62% of its applicants (see tinyurl.com/n2hyxja). I find it hard to believe that it does not check their credit status. Is it likely that someone who has defaulted on a credit union loan will get any money from Wonga?

Having said that, the genius of Wonga is the algorithm used to determine an applicant's likelihood of defaulting, which means that someone who might be rejected by other lenders may not be rejected by Wonga - hence the questions about car ownership and so on.

'There are numerous searches that Wonga's algorithm could use... including: "192.com for electoral roll information, Zoopla's estimates of house values, business and director information from Companies House, genealogy databases – even web searches for the subject's name combined with keywords like 'fired, 'retired' or 'redundant'. Even data we see as traditionally offline is often available through subscription services or more freely." One bank we spoke to speculates that Wonga spends huge sums on databases and traditional credit-ratings agencies – anything to improve the accuracy of its assessments.' (from tinyurl.com/3uhj7pz)

Wonga has a default rate of around 7% - about the same as traditional banks. That means that the vast majority who borrow from it do not default. Again, go you expect us to believe that someone who has defaulted on other loans suddenly becomes able to repay Wonga?

From the Telegraph article cited above, the following is interesting: '...their ideal customer is a young professional who wants speed and convenience; but it's also worth bearing in mind that a huge number of people who fit the definition of young professional have limited access to either credit cards or overdrafts, as a result of being credit blacklisted while at university. Blacklisting for a stupid mistake at 21 easily lasts until your late 20s; Wonga realised these people were a decent risk while the banks picked their noses and repeated "computer says no".'

The true nastiness of Wonga is the sheer exploitation it operates. Their normal advertised APR is 4,124%, but an extension of 30 days on a loan would ramp that up to a scarcely-believable 11, 913%. That is a huge rate of return on their invested capital, which is scarcely dented by a default rate of 7%.

Edited by FP on 28/07/2013 at 21:41

FP

(From the Telegraph article cited above, the following is interesting: '...their ideal customer is a young professional who wants speed and convenience; but it's also worth bearing in mind that a huge number of people who fit the definition of young professional have limited access to either credit cards or overdrafts, as a result of being credit blacklisted while at university. Blacklisting for a stupid mistake at 21 easily lasts until your late 20s; Wonga realised these people were a decent risk while the banks picked their noses and repeated "computer says no".')

At last, a more considered opinion ,

FP surely the above supports my original post that wonga users are not hapless victims being abused by the evil finance company .

While I don't accept that the above profile is the typical wonga borrower .The profile of the individuals above , are of people well able to make a decision based on costs that are always very clearly laid out in a wonga loan .No one is deceived by wonga as to how much they will borrow and repay
Jamie.
(It may not justify it but it does prove bleating about it is pretty pointless and futile.

In the greater scheme of things, you're ranting about stuff which doesn't matter and that makes no difference. Really.)

On that basis theirs no point for forums like this to exist at all ,I see this forum as an opportunity to express my views and to be able to understand the views of others ,many of which I disagree with but do want to read .

But perhaps the forum should only exist as a place for you to take the mickey out of confused pensioners ,26 July .who can't tell the difference between a jag or an Audi ,now that's a post that really matters .

Edited by tony g on 28/07/2013 at 13:15

Credit unions or wonga - daveyjp
So what's your solution for protecting savers deposits from banks going bust?
(So what's your solution for protecting savers deposits from banks going bust)

A completely different question ,why not start a new post to explore it .

It's because they've defaulted on prime finance lenders ,and quite possibly medium rate lenders such as provident 250% apr.

You've repeated the same line about 17 times now. Presented it as undeniable fact.

Saying it many times doesn't make it true, especially as you've provided no evidence for your claim. It's another one based on 'what my mate in the pub said', 'what I read in the Mail' and 'what my mate next door does.'

10 years as a finance manager ,arranging prime and sub prime prime finance ,qualifies my viewpoint .

It's the way the credit checking system works ,if you have had credit and paid it on time ,you can obtain further credit at a decent rate .

If you don't pay on time ,take on to much credit ,the only option becomes sub prime .welcome ,wonga and the like at stupid rates .

So my viewpoints based on experience ,not based on mates in the pub ,are your mates in the pub amused by your stories of confused pensioners ,you must have some great nights out !

"If you don't pay on time ,take on to much credit ,the only option becomes sub prime .welcome ,wonga and the like at stupid rates ."

This is getting tiresome. You just keep repeating it. You think you know what you're talking about. You ignore evidence to the contrary.

You say you want to listen to other people's views, but there seems to be no meeting of minds.

("If you don't pay on time ,take on to much credit ,the only option becomes sub prime .welcome ,wonga and the like at stupid rates ."

This is getting tiresome. You just keep repeating it. You think you know what you're talking about. You ignore evidence to the contrary.

You say you want to listen to other people's views, but there seems to be no meeting of minds.)

Okay FP
,I've expounded my theory why people take out loans from companies like wonga ,I've seen the credit files of individuals who I organised sub prime finance for ,with a similar lender ,welcome finance . So my viewpoint is based on experience .

Please give us your opinion ,why would anyone who's not credit impaired borrow a couple of hundred pounds at a ludicrous rate of interest .

"...why would anyone who's not credit impaired borrow a couple of hundred pounds at a ludicrous rate of interest ."

Did you read what I put a previous post, supported by what seem to be reliable references?

Wonga, it seems, WILL REFUSE TO LEND to someone who's credit-impaired, unless their clever algorithm tells them otherwise - and it's a pretty good predictor, since only 7% default.

Wonga doesn't want people to default; it doesn't make money if they do - at least, not without going to a lot of trouble.

The bit you step over very quickly is the 'don't pay on time' segment. You don't stop to think why people haven't paid on time. You probably think nothing of someone losing their job in the recession & defaulting on their mortgage as a result, but you refuse to accept some people may have become unable to pay through no fault of their own.

It just seems pretty obvious to me that with millions of redundancies dished out in the last five years that many previously solvent people have unexpectedly become unable to pay and left with bad options.

I've never met anyone who's refused to repay a loan on time when they could've easily done so. However I have met people who were forced to take out PPI (probably by people like you) when it was mis-sold for many years who then ended up buckling under CCJ's they should've never got because that magical insurance should've bailed them out.

Edited by jamie745 on 29/07/2013 at 00:30

Jamie,
Your last post sounds very much like personal experience ,has that formed your opinion .

If that's the case ,then your not going to be able to offer an objective viewpoint are you .

My personal experience is no less qualified than yours - you said you formed your views from being a finance manager.

Presumably by 'objective' you mean 'agree with me.'

Credit unions or wonga - Dutchie

You can't trust anybody who lends you money they all want their pennies worth back,banks included.If we are not carefull we will lose the plot how to run and live in a soceity.

Gated communities is that the future?

Credit unions or wonga - Leif

You can't trust anybody who lends you money they all want their pennies worth back,banks included.If we are not carefull we will lose the plot how to run and live in a soceity.

True, but equally finance has created the modern world. It was the ability of British companies to borrow money that allwoed them to finance overseas expeditions, to finance private armies, and plunder and colonise foreign countries. Where would the modern world be without that?

But seriously, finance is crucial to economic progress.

Credit unions or wonga - madf

Finance has created the modern world. It was the ability of British companies to borrow money that allwoed them to finance overseas expeditions, to finance private armies, and plunder and colonise foreign countries. Where would the modern world be without that?

But seriously, finance is crucial to economic progress.

Yes it is. And since around 2005 the UK in general has borrowed far too much which has inflated asset prices and kept spending at unsustainable perosnal and Government levels. Unfortuantely it has NOT financed the essential assets needed for living: new houses and raods/railways and airports and power stations. And the Government needs to borrow a lot every years or the economyt will collapse - the talk about "austerity" is risible when teh Government is broowing the odd £100billion a year.

So we are busy destroying the currency to reduce the value of our debts.

The financial system has become prostituted to ensure the banks manage to recover - or the entire economy will go mammaries up. It happens every 20-30 years but the last one was the worst.

UK living standrads were only possible due to ever increasing debt.. and that has now virtually stopped.

Wonga and credit unions are like sticking plasters on a broken leg.. They cost a lot, look helpful and leave a bigger mess afterwards.

Yes we have borrowed far too much and we are still borrowing more, though the aim is to start reducing the debt in a few years. At least it is not increasing at the rate we saw a few years back.

I am sure our living standards are possible without huge debt, or at least close to what we have today.

At the least the Labours have stopped the farce of claiming that the debt is invented by the Tories to allow them to destroy the welfare state.

I can't say I know much about Wonga and Credit Unions. I have heard some reports on R4, including interviews with people who got into serious debt. They are best described as the deserving poor, single parents struggling to buy food or presents for children. Whether or not these examples are typical, I know not.

Apparently the government will not restrict the interest paid, as doing so would cause a rise in unregulated illegal lending, which would be far worse.

I have never borrowed money I do not have. I got my first credit card when I was 35, and I only did so because I was travelling to the US. I reluctantly got a £15,000 mortgage a few years ago. I hate credit. But I don't want to stand on a pedestal of santimonious smugness, some people are less fortunate than most of us, and get into trouble through misfortune or misjudgement.

The archbish was a senior figure in banking was he not? So unlike some of these ignorant bleeding heart well intentioned types, he has experience of the commercial world. (No doubt I have offended many people with that last statement.)

Credit unions or wonga - alastairq

A question I feel should be asked is.....are Wonga..et al, a symptom of the economically disastrous times we are living in?

Ignoring the 'algorithm' for the moment, would Wonga have been viable 10 years ago?

Are we seeing a modern version of the 'tally-man' of the '20's and '30's?

Personally, I feel it was a pretty predictable financial path given what has happened to the economy....and the possible fact that too many people have 'grown-up' with the 'good times'...indeed, were actively encouraged to take full advantage..right from the 'top' down.....to be able to take an appropriate stance towards downward-changing lifestyles...!

(Ignoring the 'algorithm' for the moment, would Wonga have been viable 10 years ago?)

Wonga did exist ten years ago in the guise of welcome finance ,they operated on two levels ,providing car finance to the credit impaired and much smaller over the counter loans ,typically £200 to £500 .While the declared rate of interest wasn't as high as wonga s ,they added lots of extra cost items to most loans .Typically PPI ,set up and closure fees etc .

Welcome largely folded about 5 years ago ,not because of a lack of demand ,but because of internal accounting problems .

Surely we have always had low paid people who make use of dodgy lenders. There were loads of homeless people years ago, no idea if there still are.

Credit unions or wonga - galileo

Surely we have always had low paid people who make use of dodgy lenders. There were loads of homeless people years ago, no idea if there still are.

Back in the 20's, 30's and 40's doorstep loans were commonly available in working class ares from 'tallymen', a term also applied to collectors for HP companies.

Even now, doorstep loan companies (many of which are licensed and legitimate) still provide short term credit to lower income groups.

Credit unions or wonga - buckingham

Companiies like wonga and Thick kid(sorry,I meant quick quid) only thrive because lots of todays so called jobs don't pay people enough to live on.It wasn't that long ago that your wages were something to look forward to,but for lots of people now they're just a pittance that need to be topped up with tax credits and payday loans.Of course,the goverment try to obscure this fact by trying to make out that people on benefits are on astronomical sums that are an insult to all 'hard working people.Strange that,since one of the few growth areas under this coalition has been the rapid expansion of food banks.Of course,Ed Milliband and the labour party haven't got the guts or the inclination to even consider talking about such issues.Just imagine if we had a proper leader of the opposition.They might even be brave enough to say that it's not the majority of benefits are too high,it's more that for many working people their wages are far too low.

en't the guts or the inclination to even think about tackling tthis issue

it's not the majority of benefits are too high,it's more that for many working people their wages are far too low.

Employers could afford higher wages if it was not for all the taxes, rates, petty EU regulations (gold plated by Whitehall under Gordon) which they have to put up with.

Credit unions or wonga - Bromptonaut

mployers could afford higher wages if it was not for all the taxes, rates, petty EU regulations (gold plated by Whitehall under Gordon) which they have to put up with.

The idea that employers are all paying the most they can afford is laughable. I reality they pay the least they can while able to recruit, motivate and retain. And in unskilled work retain often goes by the wayside.

That's the reality of our much vuanted 'flexible' economy. It's been deliberately engineered since 1980 to swing the power all in the way of the employer. Until employees return to the idea of unions and/or other public or government presure comes to bear nothig will change.

Credit unions or wonga - wrangler_rover

30 years ago, I was fortunate enough to go on an organised tour of a car factory in the UK during a nornal daytime shift.

One of the party asked the guide "How much are these men on the production line paid?"

The guide's reply was "The minimum amount to keep them here."

The idea that employers are all paying the most they can afford is laughable. I reality they pay the least they can while able to recruit, motivate and retain. And in unskilled work retain often goes by the wayside.

That's the reality of our much vuanted 'flexible' economy. It's been deliberately engineered since 1980 to swing the power all in the way0 of the employer. Until employees return to the idea of unions and/or other public or government presure comes to bear nothig will change.

I for one can remember how union pressure made British Leyland such a lasting success.

I also remember how Arthur Scargill 'saved' all the miners' jobs by applying pressure (without a ballot of his members). Right now, many small/medium employers struggle with not only petty rules and regulations, but also energy costs increased to fund windfarms (which supply no power in windless days, such as we had in recent winters, and will need standby gas turbine plants to be run). Non-union and sensible union workers often appreciate that screwing rises from their employer may jeopardise long term security.

Edited by galileo on 21/08/2013 at 18:33

Credit unions or wonga - Dutchie

I was employed by a small employer for a some time after leaving BP.Voluntary redundancy.With my BP pension and the small wage from this employer I could manage comfortable.

The majority of the employees couldn't manage on the wage this employer was and is paying and made up the difference by smuggling.A pay rise once every five years was the norm health and safety a no no.I tried everyhting to inprove conditions and use to talk to the men to join a union.The men where scared to get organised because the employer would sack you on a whim.I liked the job working on the river and the employer knew that I wasn't bothered if he fired me because of my decent pension.It is a sad state of affairs how many people work under conditions and low salaries which should not be allowed.

Credit unions or wonga - Bromptonaut

I for one can remember how union pressure made British Leyland such a lasting success.

It was complacent management in the fifties and sixties that did for BMC and the other parts of what was eventually BL. As long as the dividends rolled in and luncheon in the Directors dining room was five courses plus drinks everything was Dandy. Instead of co-operating with Unions they let the latter largely run the shopfloor. No investment and no modernisation of models as long as they old in what seened, apart from perhaps the VW Beetle, a UK exclusive market.

Credit unions or wonga s - galileo

Bromptonaut,

I spent almost 40 years in the automotive components manufacturing industry. Some of that time I was the office representative for DATA, (which became TASS and is now part of Unite). I took part in picketing during a strike, branch meetings, and wage negotiations. You probably know that DATA/TASS paid 2/3 of take home pay during official strikes, which is one reason their official strikes were often long lasting; the strikers could financially last longer than the employers in many cases.

I spent years in supervisory and management positions, made many visits to suppliers and customers, so was able to compare different operations and management styles.There are good and bad managers and employees, forward looking unions and those more concerned with political agendas than members' interests.

I sense you and I have different perspectives on these matters, which is what leads to interesting debate.

Edited by galileo on 22/08/2013 at 14:34

Credit unions or wonga s - jamie745

Well Buckingham certainly has a point. Most people aren't paid enough to realistically live on these days. We've got 'real wages' the same today as 2003. We've got a third of our working population unable to save enough for even two months rent, we've got a million people using foodbanks while at the same time the top 0.5% have had a 300% payrise and there's billions sat in big business coffers - probably offshore.

Something is obviously wrong there, only an idiot would suggest otherwise.

Employers could afford higher wages if it was not for all the taxes, rates, petty EU regulations (gold plated by Whitehall under Gordon) which they have to put up with.

The idea that employers are all paying the most they can afford is laughable.

Many smaller employers probably are paying the most they can afford - and most of them can't afford that, they're relying on overdrafts from state subsidised banks. Example; in my nearest high street, even a 500square foot shop sets you back nearly £40,000 a year in rent & business rates. That's without heating, electricity, insurance or even buying anything to sell.

If you manage to get as far as selling something you've then got VAT liability and corperation tax should you have the gall to retain any profit. If you're really ambitious and employ somebody at the minimum wage of £6,31; they only keep £5,73 of it and you incur the bonkers Employers National Insurance, meaning every employee will always cost you more than they will ever get.

I won't reel off a list of potential positives of cutting taxes, but I'll simply say my local pet food supplier could deliver within 20 miles rather than 10 if they weren't paying £1.45 for a litre of diesel.

That's the reality of our much vuanted 'flexible' economy. It's been deliberately engineered since 1980 to swing the power all in the way of the employer.

It's hardly a modern invention. For all of its Olympic Opening Ceremony romanticising, the Industrial Revolution Victorian workplace was the most exploitive environment in recent centuries. In the early 20th century we shifted heavily towards state-led economic practices, mostly due to the full mobilisation enforced by the second World War. By the late 70s it stopped working and we went more to distant-regulation, free market liberalism instead.

The interesting bit is that actually worked. The problems we face are from the 21st century. People like Bromptonaut will tell you it's the fault of a woman who left her job 23 years ago, but I believe our problems are firmly rooted in today. Frozen wages, 200% increase in house prices, charges for previously free tuition and successive Governments hell bent on screwing every last pound out of you. They've been neither socialist or conservative. They've just been b******s.

Until employees return to the idea of unions and/or other public or government presure comes to bear nothig will change.

You let yourself down with comments like that because you merely invite reminders of what an awful state Britain was in during the late 70s as a result of strong union power.

I agree more with your outlook in the case of big companies. The polar opposite to the small shop I mentioned earlier. The big multinationals which exist purely to screw their workforce, bring obscene returns to shareholders and pay their top 5 employees bonkers salaries. The sorts of companies which only employ people part time to avoid holiday pay entitelement. They'd rather have two shelfstackers doing 15 hours each than 1 working full time.

These massive multinationals love our EU membership because EU rules lets them avoid tax and puts their smaller competitors out of business. Companies the size of Tesco can devote an entire floor to be the 'Department of Circumventing EU Rules' but Barry the Plumber cant.

My personal experience of work has been that almost everyone I've worked for is a shyster, liar and scumbag. Oddly I've found the public sector - more quangoish, large charity - to be the worst in terms of overpaid management and 'jobs for the boys.'

Credit unions or wonga s - galileo

Jamie, an excellent summary with which I concur (though I've perhaps had better employers than you seem to have suffered under.)

Credit unions or wonga s - jamie745

They haven't all been bad. Not as bad as some of our proud supermarket institutions which make a bazillion pounds profit yet still cut jobs needlessly to save 37pence on distribution costs.

My worst one was my only public sector position which really was run by liars who were far too cosey with each other - all top people on about three levels went to each others Barbeques, those kind.

In fairness my most recent employer - I was made redundant last month - were a good bunch of people but just financially incompetant and their firm went bust.

Credit unions or wonga s - Dutchie

I was employed by a big company for many years.Not barbeques,playing golf and plenty of backstabbing was the norm.It is not what you know but who you crawl up to what gives promotion.