What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
ford mondeo 05 2.0tdci - revs not droping when gear changing - mondeo lover

hi guys and girls,

whilst driving to work this am i noticed that when i change gear ( any gear ) the revs are not droping to there usual position, but this does not happen on every gear change only on a few occasions .its like im ridding the clutch when it happens if thats any help. i dont no what this is so my first thought was here. thanks in advance.xx

ford mondeo 05 2.0tdci - revs not droping when gear changing - Micky-BO

The clutch pedal operation causes the injection pump to momentarily reduce it's output while the clutch is disengauged to permit smoother gear changing. possible causes clutch pedal switch displaced or faulty or faulty wiring Hth Regards Mickeybo

ford mondeo 05 2.0tdci - revs not droping when gear changing - unthrottled

If you're changing up your foot should be completely off the throttle and injector pulse width should be zero irrespective of clutch position sensor...

ford mondeo 05 2.0tdci - revs not droping when gear changing - Micky-BO

Unthrottled. What your saying here is the clutch switch has no input to the above problem your throry on it is incorrect & misleading. Mickeybo

hi, thanks for that i will get it checked out, least i have a starting point now lol. is it worth looking anywhere else whilst i have my investigation head on.? once again thankyou.

ford mondeo 05 2.0tdci - revs not droping when gear changing - kithmo

It could be the DMF thats failing.

ford mondeo 05 2.0tdci - revs not droping when gear changing - Oli rag

How does a failing dmf cause the revs to stay high during gear changes?

How does a failing dmf cause the revs to stay high during gear changes?

like a clutch slipping, or did you mean the revs don't drop with the clutch depressed between gear changes?

Edited by kithmo on 23/07/2013 at 22:29

my appologies for not being clear, the revs do not drop whilst the clutch is depressed whilst changing gear. this does not happen all of the time . i would say out of 10 gear changes it may do it 4-6 times some times more some times less . weird one hey.

ford mondeo 05 2.0tdci - revs not droping when gear changing - franksboy

Hi I know this is cheeky but I have exactly the same problem. I'v only just started to try and sort it.and i wondered if you have managed to find the answer. thanks

ford mondeo 05 2.0tdci - revs not droping when gear changing - Peter D

Have you checked the switch on the clutch pedal. That is most probably the cause of your problem. Regards Peter

hi peter, i have changed clutch switch and it is still doing it. is there anything else it could be? thankyou

ford mondeo 05 2.0tdci - revs not droping when gear changing - unthrottled

I drove a transit connect that had appeared to have a ~0.5s lag on the accelerator actuator that caused these symptoms. Can't remembe whether it was a hardware or software fault though.

ford mondeo 05 2.0tdci - revs not droping when gear changing - franksboy

Hi, a new clutch switch seems to have sorted my prob. When you are driving and you dip the clutch, to change gear, if the revs don't drop coast along with the car in neutral then lift the clutch and dip it again, i found the revs then dropped back to normal. Part no from fords was 94BB7C534AC also it was £10.19 +vat from lifestyle ford and £20 on ebay.

Haynes manual says a new retaining clip is needed. i never found one.

my appologies for not being clear, the revs do not drop whilst the clutch is depressed whilst changing gear. this does not happen all of the time . i would say out of 10 gear changes it may do it 4-6 times some times more some times less . weird one hey.

Now I get it, this is probably the anti-stall program that is maintaining the revs and is not reading the engine speed sensor and clutch and accellerator pedal positions correctly, so as you have eliminated the clutch pedal switch and the accellerator pedal would normally give other signs (like surging or dying) it could be the engine speed sensor.

This should show up as a fault code.

i have no fault codes , no lights etc etc. one thing i have noticed recently (yesterday morning) is that when its first started in the morning , the tick over is very lumpy, up-down up-down, then it finaly settles out after a few short revs, its like its trying to die,but then picks up again and so on. still baffled lol.

ford mondeo 05 2.0tdci - revs not droping when gear changing - FiestaTDCI
Hi Gents, did anyone ever resolve this problem and if so, what was the cause?

I have just the same issue with my Fiesta. Have replaced the clutch switch, no change.

Any pointers will be appreciated.

Thanks
Richard
ford mondeo 05 2.0tdci - revs not droping when gear changing - NX05SWF

Just found this thread and it is exactly the same as the problem I have with my Mondeo. Erratic idle when 1st started from cold and revs not dropping when depressing the clutch to change gear. It is not caused by the clutch pedal sensor though becase if i knock it out of gear without dipping the clutch the revs still dont drop straightaway.Please reply if you have come accros this problem and have found the reason for it. Many thanks.