Ford Mondeo 2002 Zetec TDDI - Drive Shaft or Gear Problem - bha77a

Hi

For last couple of weeks i have been getting cluncking noise when i change gears on my car. It only happens when changing to 2nd and 3rd gear. For some reason the sound was really loud today in the morning but after the car was warnmed up it was fine. The noise is still there but it is not as loud as it was this morning.

I went to the mechanics and they suggest it O/S Drive Shaft problem and CV boot and they have quote me 200 pounds to get the work done. I think it can be the gear because its only making noise when i am changing the gear. Car doesnt make any other noise on the corners or regular driving.

I could be wrong and it could be the drive shaft and the CV boot, but i am seeking for some advise and any help is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Ford Mondeo 2002 Zetec TDDI - Drive Shaft or Gear Problem - Peter.N.

If its a drive shaft I can't see why it should only do it in one gear. If the CV joints are worn it will make a clicking noise when driven on full lock. It could be an engine/gearbox mounting.

Ford Mondeo 2002 Zetec TDDI - Drive Shaft or Gear Problem - kithmo

If its a drive shaft I can't see why it should only do it in one gear. If the CV joints are worn it will make a clicking noise when driven on full lock. It could be an engine/gearbox mounting.

and applying the same logic, why would the gearbox mounting cause the noise in one gear ?????

I'd say the it's the gearbox, most likely selector mechanism thats at fault. You should check the linkages first, before condemning the box though.

Edited by kithmo on 21/07/2013 at 18:30