What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Focus Estate 2000W Petrol 1.8 Zetec 194k mile - Engine sensor - brj

The speedo keeps failing to register the mph, off then on etc. I have been told that my car needs a new sensor Ford part 9E731.

Is this part a DIY job or should it be done in a garage. Is it dangerous to drive with this fault?

Ford Focus Estate 2000W Petrol 1.8 Zetec 194k mile - Engine sensor - Peter D

Get it fixed as the lack of signal effects the engines performance, airbag minimum trigger speed, all sorts of things. It is a sensor on the gearbox. Inspect the wiring and connectors carefully. Do not mix up the reversing light switch and the speed sensor. Regards Peter

Ford Focus Estate 2000W Petrol 1.8 Zetec 194k mile - Engine sensor - maxxoveride

Hi,

Sounds like the sensor, but it's failry easy to replace. The hardest thing is getting the pin out, and then getting it back in.

I have done this myself and it only took 15 mins max. You can get the part for about £12 on ebay with a lifetime arranty.

That said, i am having the same issue again, but not all the time, only when the temperature outside is hot and my car has been in direct sunlight, so i am starting to think my new case is something to do with the wiring to the speedo itself heating up and not the sensor (which i replaced for the second time), as everything works fine when it's cold outside.

Ford Focus Estate 2000W Petrol 1.8 Zetec 194k mile - Engine sensor - brj

My mechanic can't get the pin out, it may have broken in half at sometime as there is no part of the pin showing to get a tool on to remove, any suggestions? Does this totally defective unit affect the power steering, it has become "a bit stiff"

Ford Focus Estate 2000W Petrol 1.8 Zetec 194k mile - Engine sensor - elekie&a/c doctor

These can be an absolute pig to remove,as you have found out.The best solution is to try and break out the sensor with pliers and possibly very careful drilling,as it is all plastic.Try not to leave any bits in the gearbox,Fortunately,the sensor is electronic ,so no moving parts.The pin is stainless,but if it is seized in the gearbox housing,then i can only see it coming out once the sensor is removed.The pas fault is totally unrelated on this model,as it is all mechanical/hydraulic.Check the fliud level