What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford /Peugeot Engine Question - daveyK_UK

Is the 1.6 petrol 120bhp in the Ford Mondeo the same as the 1.6 120bhp unit found in some Peugeots?

If so, who makes it Ford or Peugeot?

And is it a belt or cam?

Many thanks.

Ford /Peugeot Engine Question - 72 dudes

It's actually a BMW engine from the Mini (Cooper has 120 or 118 DIN BHP)

As you say, also used in Mondeo, 207, 308, 508 etc etc as well as Citroen C3/C4 and Picasso.

Cambelt SFAIK.

Very smooth and revvy, but not very economical, especially in urban environment. Wife's car has this engine in her 207 auto.

Excellent response.

Thank you for the update.

I was under the impression they where more economical than the standard 98bhp peugeot 1.6?

How does is pull in the ford mondeo?

I have been offered a brand new Mondeo graphite with the 1.6 petrol for £11,250 brand new.

Also, how does it pull in the peugeot partner tepee? Again, I have been offered a 1.6 petrol s tepee for only £10,000.

Need to decide ASAP as both dealers said I must confirm by tommorrow.

Neither dealer had petrol versions to test drive although the ford dealer did have the 1.6 in stock but it was hemed in by other vehicles in the new car lot.

Thanks.

Edited by daveyK_UK on 30/06/2013 at 22:38

Ford /Peugeot Engine Question - Avant

Two very different cars: even though both engines have 120 bhp, I thought it was only diesel engines that Ford and PSA had in common.

I'd choose the Mondeo unless you particularly want the van-shaped Tepee.

Have had a few Berlingo Multispaces in the past and rarely a problem.

As the Peugeot Partner Tepee is the same car with a different badge, I know what to expect.

The mondeo prices are very competitive; I only went into the dealers to have a quick glance and ended up chatting to the dealer for over an hour.

The price kept coming down until he came out with what I consider a truelly fabulous price for a brand new one; but im concerned the 1.6 despite 120bhp might struggle as the latest mondeo is not a light car.

Decision time.

No experience of this engine in the Mondeo or Partner Tepee.

But to be honest, to get a new Mondeo for £11250 is incredible. Is it pre registered or ex demo or something?

Get the dealer to extract the 1.6 from being hemmed in and test drive it. You need to be sure you can live with that engine in such a heavy car. If you tend to drive gently, it will be fine, if you like to press on, then you may be disappointed and economy will also suffer.

To give some reassurance, you have to think that Ford and Peugeot would be daft to put this engine in big cars like the Mondeo and 508 if it was totally unsuitable!

Ford /Peugeot Engine Question - Mike H

To give some reassurance, you have to think that Ford and Peugeot would be daft to put this engine in big cars like the Mondeo and 508 if it was totally unsuitable!

1.3 Cortina anyone?

Ford /Peugeot Engine Question - TeeCee
1.3 Cortina anyone?

Yup, tiny engines are not a new thing. Just remember though that the small engined base model of everyone's vehicle had a problem common to all of them.

They were all clapped by the time 100 thousand miles clocked up. The candle that burns twice as bright and all that.....

1.3 Cortina anyone?

Ha! Good one. Yes, the 1.3 Capri, the 1.5 Corsair and the 1.2 Mk1 Cortina sping to mind too.

However, the power to weight ratio throws up some interesting figures:

Mondeo 1.6 Graphite: 1435kg, 118 BHP, power to weight ratio 82 BHP/tonne

Cortina Mkii 1.3 de Luxe: 867kg, 62 BHP, power to weight 71 BHP/tonne

Cortina Mki 1.2 de Luxe 778kg, 48 BHP, power to weight 61 BHP/tonne

Ford Granada Mkii 2.3 Ghia V6, 112 BHP, 1295kg, power to weight 86 BHP/tonne.

So, yes, the new 1.6 Mondeo is no ball of fire, but it should hold it's own and once up to speed should cruise nicely, albeit with a 5 speed not 6 speed gearbox.

Ford /Peugeot Engine Question - RT

Ford's "entry level" engines have always been underpowered for any enthusiast but generally bought by those who really do just pootle around - also useful as an aid for the salesman to talk the customer up to a more expensive model.

Ford /Peugeot Engine Question - SteveLee

Two very different cars: even though both engines have 120 bhp, I thought it was only diesel engines that Ford and PSA had in common.

I'd choose the Mondeo unless you particularly want the van-shaped Tepee.

Correct, they are NOT the same petrol engines, unlike the BMW/PSA "prince" engines which blow up regularly with timing chain failure the (incidentally belt-driven cam) Ford engines are reliable.

Edited by SteveLee on 01/07/2013 at 23:05

As tempting as the Mondeo deal was, the price to get it OTR ended up at £11,995.

Still a cracking deal but we really wanted the huge boot of a Peugeot Partner Tepee.

Just didnt fancy the 1.6 petrol in such a big car of the mondeo and I still cant see the attraction of a standard hatchback seating position over a MPV van.

I was able to test drive today at another dealers a used 1.6 120bhp Partner tepee and it pulled fine.

Not as torquey as the 1.6 diesel but it was sweet enough.

Waiting to have our colour choice on the tepee confirmed.

BTW, to get the test drive, I had to fill in a form of all my details!

Anyone else experience this?

If it wasnt for the wanting to try out the engine before I purchased elsewhere, I would have walked out.

Edited by daveyK_UK on 02/07/2013 at 01:11