What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Toyota RAV 4; 2004 2 ltr Petrol - Mystery oil leak after frontal shunt - Confused of Devon

After a minor shunt into the car in front at 15 mph max, the car was driveable and seemed OK, but 50 miles later smoke poured from bonnet due to oil spraying onto exhaust. Vehicle trucked to insurer's repairers who simply cannot trace the oil leak. Oil was 1/2 full on dipstick, but car serviced 8 weeks earlier. Engine steam cleaned and test run but still no signs of leak. Compression test OK so not head gasket. No oil pump as petrol. Repairers expect me to take back the vehicle and hope for the best, but once I sign off the repair as OK then if the leak recurs I will be responsible. I do not believe the oil leak was not connected with the shunt. Any ideas as to the cause/source of this leak?

Toyota RAV 4; 2004 2 ltr Petrol - Mystery oil leak after frontal shunt - bathtub tom

Power steering fluid?

Oil cooler radiator?

ATF cooler radiator?

Air-con radiator?

Toyota RAV 4; 2004 2 ltr Petrol - Mystery oil leak after frontal shunt - galileo

No oil pump as petrol.

No oil pump? Splash lubricated main and big end bearings then? Or worsted trimmings as on steam locomotives?

Toyota RAV 4; 2004 2 ltr Petrol - Mystery oil leak after frontal shunt - Collos25

You do not need oil pumps in modern cars they are just a hindrence.

Back to the oil leak perhaps an external oil pipe union or pin hole in pipe.