What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Mondeo - Ford mondeo 2001 2.0 tddi - kieronj0089
Hi, I've bought a ford mondeo 2001 2.0 tddi and I would like to install a dump valve but need help on doing this, my question is how do I install a dump valve on this car??????

Hope I get some help.

Thanks Kieron.
Ford Mondeo - Ford mondeo 2001 2.0 tddi - Collos25

Why would you want to fit a dump valve on a diesel.

Ford Mondeo - Ford mondeo 2001 2.0 tddi - kieronj0089
Because I can. Thanks
Ford Mondeo - Ford mondeo 2001 2.0 tddi - RT

Just loosen the pipe from turbo to the intercooler - it'll have the same effect - more noise, less power.

Ford Mondeo - Ford mondeo 2001 2.0 tddi - KB.

"Because I can. Thanks"

Oh, right, OK then.

What's happened to the site in the past few days?

Is someone bombarding the site with stuff solely in order to gain attention or to make a nuisance of themselves?

Edited by KB. on 30/05/2013 at 19:07

Because I can. Thanks

Well it appears you can`t or you would not be asking such a stupid question.

Ford Mondeo - Ford mondeo 2001 2.0 tddi - Avant

Could someone satisfy my curiosity please?

I'm sure I'm not the only one who hasn't the faintest idea what a dump valve is, or indeed why it would make a difference to a 2001 Mondeo..

Ford Mondeo - Ford mondeo 2001 2.0 tddi - RT

Also known, unkindly, as a f*** valve.

It's the over-pressure blow-off valve, aka wastegate, fitted to turbocharger installations - the air expelled normally is ducted back to the low pressure side of the turbo but for faster throttle response, particularly on the over-run it can be ducted to atmosphere - it's noisy which is why tune-up boys like them.

Edited by RT on 30/05/2013 at 22:33

An extremely good description by RT I may just add that it will make no difference whatsoever to a diesel and especially a 12year old mondeo.

Ford Mondeo - Ford mondeo 2001 2.0 tddi - unthrottled

It's the over-pressure blow-off valve, aka wastegate, fitted to turbocharger installation

...In petrol cars where it serves a purpose. When you lift off the throttle the boost must be vented, otherwise the turbo will be pushed into the surge regime.

In diesels, there isn't (normally) an air throttle so there's no motivation to vent the boost. Since they are normally pneumatically operated by manifold vacuum, you can't fit one to a diesel. Throttle response during gear changes would be awful with one anyway.

Ford Mondeo - Ford mondeo 2001 2.0 tddi - Avant

Many thanks, RT. You learn something every day!

Your last few words probably explain why the OP wants a dump valve - but he needs to check before spending any money whether it would have the desired effect on a diesel.