Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 (1993) - Do I keep my pristine Peugeot 205 GTi ?? - technik21

I bought my 1993 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 (Phase 2 - & Sunroof)) back in 1996, and have cherished it ever since. The mileage now is 145,000, but the car still feels as strong and sweet as it always has.

It has been religiously waxed all this time.

I didn't continue with main dealer servicing from its mid life mileage, but rather kept with local garages, and DIY servicing. I spent a fair bit on the car recently, with a complete professional re-spray, and sourcing new original external trim to maintain its showroom appearance. (The original lacquer was starting to craze on the roof, despite all the waxing!), and new brake lines\discs, new coolant\breather hoses and much more.

The Interior is all original , and again in excellent condition.

I don't use the car much nowadays, as I have my 'every day' car, and if I did sell it now, I would probably upgrade my existing car.

I did intend to just keep hold of the car and allow it to hopefully appreciate, but am just not sure if the 205 Gti is on the "hot list" for certain near future desireability.
If it is, how long in your opinion will it be before these good example cars start to climb significantly in value?
I was thinking of selling it for £5k+ on today's market, but it's difficult to value it, as I have seen models older than mine selling for £8, to £10k !! albeit with much lower mileage. So not sure if this is a realistic figure?

I suppose it's down to how long I am prepared to wait before catching the right market.

Thank You

Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 (1993) - Do I keep my pristine Peugeot 205 GTi ?? - madf

If it is, how long in your opinion will it be before these good example cars start to climb significantly in value?

It should be worth £15k in 2035.

Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 (1993) - Do I keep my pristine Peugeot 205 GTi ?? - BenG

Got to be a cast-iron bet for future classic. Yours has had virtually one owner and you know most of the history as well, which helps.

There are still quite a few around though which I assume is why values have not really taken off yet, so you may need to hang onto yours a while longer.

Can't imagine why you wouldn't keep it, though, given that it's rated as one of the best hot hatches to drive, ever, nothing like it could be made today and it has a known provenance and is apparently in great condition.

Keep, enjoy for another 5-10 years and I reckon there'll be far fewer around and values will have risen...

Or I'll buy it off you :-)

Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 (1993) - Do I keep my pristine Peugeot 205 GTi ?? - unthrottled

They are nice cars, but I can't seriously see anyone paying £10K for one-not even fully restored.

Don't forget to subtract your annual fixed costs of keeping the car. This will often more than offset any gain in value. The classic car market is quite fickle with actual transactions prices showing considerable fluctuation.

Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 (1993) - Do I keep my pristine Peugeot 205 GTi ?? - 72 dudes

I agree with unthrottled. Keep it as a fun weekend and summer car, enjoy driving and fettling and polishing it, but don't treat it as an investment. People are not going to pay a high price at any age without an engine re-build with that sort of mileage. Enjoy!

Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 (1993) - Do I keep my pristine Peugeot 205 GTi ?? - Andrew-T

They are nice cars, but I can't seriously see anyone paying £10K for one-not even fully restored.

Don't forget to subtract your annual fixed costs of keeping the car. This will often more than offset any gain in value. The classic car market is quite fickle with actual transactions prices showing considerable fluctuation.

I have owned a series of 205s since the late 80s - not many GTi's admittedly - and have two convertibles just now. I don't get the impression that there are many keen buyers looking for them. Most examples of the everyday models have gone to the scrapyard, and those left fetch £ 500-800. The best GTi's ask a few grand, but I don't know how many get that.

There now seem to be about three times as many Moggies on the road as GTi's, but they seem to fetch better money. So IMHO, despite the iconic status of the hot hatch of the 80s, it is not yet an appreciating asset.

Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 (1993) - Do I keep my pristine Peugeot 205 GTi ?? - Avant

Remember that the arguments for buying / keeping / selling cars aren't purely financial - especially when the car in question is clearly a 'fun car'.

Do you still get plenty of enjoyment out of driving it? Do you take it out at the weekend sometimes just for the hell of driving it? That's what needs to inform your decision. As far as finance is concerned, I agree with the others that it isn't rare enough yet to appreciate materially, but it will become so.

I've just sold my BMW Z3 which I got as a fun car five years ago. This was partly because it never went wrong, and on a 12-year-old car something expensive was fairly sure to need replacing soon. I might have kept it if we didn't have another convertible (SWMBO has a Mini Roadster), or if I didn't also have a Skoda estate which is considerably faster than the Z3.