What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
VW Golf MK 7 DSG - Problems Solved or not? - loughrigg lad

I have read HJ's test report but it fails to comment on whether the latest Golf incarnation now has a trouble-free DSG automatic transmission or not. With all the MK6 etc owners comments about DSG problems and the now extended DSG warantees in many other countries one is "left hanging" with regard to whether to risk buying a UK specification DSG Golf just to encounter unbelievable difficulties or to plump for a seemingly trouble-free Ford auto gearbox Focus? I wonder if any Golf MK7 DSG owners could enlighten us, please?

VW Golf MK 7 DSG - Problems Solved or not? - gordonbennet

Have they been out long enough yet to get the answers from people not involved with the maker?

VW Golf MK 7 DSG - Problems Solved or not? - 659FBE

As a VAG customer I am painfully well aware of their trading practices. I am further aware of the approach they take in providing lasting value to their products in the event of design or manufacturing problems.

In my estimation, buying such a complex device as a DSG transmission from an organisation with this kind of track record is a financial lottery in which I would not wish to participate. It appears very many others have found this to be the case.

Financial considerations apart, the sheer human stress involved in dealing with an organisation whose business morals do not occupy even the same plane as my own is something I will go to some trouble to avoid. Life's too short for this kind of hassle.

There are lower risk products available from other suppliers.

VW Golf MK 7 DSG - Problems Solved or not? - madf

I am glad to read 659 so eloquently express - far better than I - my views on the Very Awful German carmaker.

VW Golf MK 7 DSG - Problems Solved or not? - leaseman

Hear Hear madf and most precise 659! Up until recently I ran, for 6 years, an in-house used car warranty company for a sizeable motor group that included a number of VW and Ford dealerships. The dealerships each sold, predominently, their own marques of used cars.

The "burn rate" ; that is, the ratio of claims paid out against the income from sales of warranties, for VW was 270% higher than the comparable figure for Ford.

I imagine that a statistician would not have too much difficulty arriving at a conclusion from those facts.