What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Focus 2000 - Accelerator pedal sticking to floor - mouton

As I've mentioned before... I don't get out much in my car. Recently it's started doing something odd (and slightly terrifying) whenever I accelerate to get onto the M-way.

The car is fine up to 50mph, and the pedal doesn't stick when accelerating up to or at those speeds. But when I'm putting on a little extra to get up to 60 or 70 (it's a weedy 1.4), it gets stuck to the floor. What then ensues is my mild heart-attack/panic while the engine goes, "Sqeeeeeeee," and then I tap the brakes... which seems to make it pop up again.

The pedal action isn't that smooth or sensitive normally, but it's never jammed itself down before. Some of the online problem solvers suggest that the throttle body needs cleaning, some say there's a cable that needs replacing. I'm a bit broke at the moment (hence not driving much) - is there anything I can try to fix it myself?

Ford Focus 2000 - Accelerator pedal sticking to floor - Oli rag

When it's something as dangerous as that happening you should really "damn the expense" and get it fixed properly, it'll probably be a lot cheaper than your funeral!

Ford Focus 2000 - Accelerator pedal sticking to floor - mouton

Yeah. I had an AA man come and check it out. He said the spring on the throttle body had twisted right round and was no longer reacting properly, plus it was full of goo. I can replace that and the cable myself for relatively little ££, but one of the adjusters on the cam belt is also dying :( And there's oil in some of the wiring. And there's the new battery I need to buy... I think it may be time for the scrap heap :'(

Ford Focus 2000 - Accelerator pedal sticking to floor - MikeTorque

Yeah, my kind of solution.

Hope you find something good to replace it with.