What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Audi A4 B6 130 Tdi - Juddering/vibrating sound coming from n/s front - tryitandsee

Had this juddering vibrating noise from near side front. Thought it to be exhaust vibration. Noise only when idling slow moving in traffic etc. or hard lock on steering.

Turned out to be auxiliary belt juddering caused by alternator clutch pulley failure. Left it too long and damaged alternator bearings. Also auxiliary belt tensioner worn badly. New altenator and clutch pulley, belt and tensioner.

Watch this guy, great accent, but does the job. : )

www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyosuYbPxr4

Audi A4 B6 130 Tdi - Juddering/vibrating sound coming from n/s front - A3 A4

Had this go on my B6, easy fix, £40 for the part, managed to do it myself.

The most difficult thing was to get the alternator off, the viscous fan prevents removal of the upper bolt and has to be removed. A special tool is available to hold the fan to remove the hex bolt but I resorted to using one of those metal oil filter wrenches, but protect the face of the pulley first.

Audi A4 B6 130 Tdi - Juddering/vibrating sound coming from n/s front - 659FBE

An easier way to hold the fan drive drum on the AWX engine is to fold a strip of glass paper in half so as to make a strip about 4" long and 1" wide, rough on both sides.

With a 19AF spanner, slacken the belt and slip the paper in between the drum and the belt.

With the same spanner, apply extra tension to the belt whilst unscrewing the retaining bolt from behand the fan bearing, using an 8AF hex key. It's a right hand thread and the abrasive paper provides sufficient grip to allow the removal and replacing of the fan bolt to the correct torque without using any other tools.

With Teutonic thoroughness, there is of course a special tool, which is a peg wrench which engages in the two holes on the front face of the drum.

Glass paper is just as effective...

Edited by 659FBE on 27/04/2013 at 17:13