What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Mondeo 1.8 Edge 125 - Flywheel & Starter - Lukas

My 2007 1.8 TDCI Edge Ford mondeo (96,000miles)cut out on me while taking off from some traffic lights the other day. The car had been running fine and then as I accelerated from the lights the car revs seemed to go way up and then I heard a whining noise, the car lost power and then died on me. I have been unable to start it since. When I turn the key the radio and windows etc still come on but the ignition just makes a clicking sound. Previously there have been a couple of times when the car would not start but as these were random incidents split by months I put it down to the frosty weather and a low battery. I also noticed a few times where I have went to change gear and it seemed like it was sticking but on second attempt worked fine. Not sure if these are be related. Does anyone have any ideas what could be the problem?

I have been told that it could be the flywheel but I've also been told by others that it could be the started / drive belt

Thanks

Ford Mondeo 1.8 Edge 125 - Flywheel & Starter - TeeCee

My guess would be starter motor and specifically the solenoid.

Sticking solenoid would account for the previous starting difficulty and the rev / whine / lost power / fail sounds awfully like the solenoid chucking the thing into engagement and burning it out to seizure.

Remove the starter and inspect / bench test it would be my first instinct.

Thanks for the reply, I will try this and let you know how it goes.

Ford Mondeo 1.8 Edge 125 - Flywheel & Starter - Galaxy

A jammed starter motor is the first sign of the dual mass flywheel breaking up, I'm afraid. People replace the starter motor and it's alright for a while, then it jams up again.

Ok so I have taken the car to a mechanic and he has told me that all the engine valves have been broken and one of the injectors has broken because a value got pushed into it after breaking. He says the timing chain looks fine and the belt is fine so he has no idea what has caused this. He is going to replace the engine but is worried that without knowing what caused it, the same thing could happen again.

Any ideas what could have caused this?

Also he has checked the flywheel and says it was changed last year and still looks in good shape.

Thanks

Ford Mondeo 1.8 Edge 125 - Flywheel & Starter - skidpan

Ok so I have taken the car to a mechanic and he has told me that all the engine valves have been broken and one of the injectors has broken because a value got pushed into it after breaking. He says the timing chain looks fine and the belt is fine so he has no idea what has caused this. He is going to replace the engine but is worried that without knowing what caused it, the same thing could happen again.

Any ideas what could have caused this?

Also he has checked the flywheel and says it was changed last year and still looks in good shape.

Thanks

Run away fast, this guy clearly is having a laugh. He is only worried because he clearly does not have a clue.

If the chain/belt is intact and valves are bent clearly the timing has been affected some other way. On these engines I am pretty sure the crank and cam pulleys are not keyed on thus if bolts loosen and pulleys move the timing will be affected and contact can take place. If chains are excessively worn or belts loose they can jump a tooth or two but at your mileage that is unlikely.

He cannot check the flywheel without removing the engine or gearbox, has he done this?

It may be that only a replacement head is required which is not as big a job.

Edited by skidpan on 01/05/2013 at 11:00

Ford Mondeo 1.8 Edge 125 - Flywheel & Starter - dieselnut

" the car revs seemed to go way up and then I heard a whining noise "

It's possible that the turbo blew & dumped engine oil into the inlet causing the engine to over-rev & pistons hit valves. Get your mechanic to check before he fits your old turbo to the new engine.

Thanks for the advice guys I will have a chat with my mechanic again, if I can get more information from him I'll post it up and if I can't I'll maybe have to take it someone else.

Thanks again