What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Honda CR-V - Ripped Off - harry55

Hi. Anyone had dealings with Global automobiles, Blackburn? My partner bought a car recently and found lots of problems with it. We rejected the car but they don't want to know. I have sent a letter under the sale of of goods act. I also contacted my credit card company as we made part payment for it this way as well as by cash. I understand they are jointly liable under the consumer credit act for the full amount. Is that right? Any advice or help welcome. Thanks.

Honda CR-V - Ripped Off - tony g
Hi Harry ,
I think that from previous posts on the forum the credit card company is responsible for the whole of the balance that you paid ,not just the amount you paid on your card .

I know it seems unlikely ,but I'm 90% certain that's correct .

You need to contact your card company sap ,they may not volunteer the information that they are responsible for the whole of the balance ,so push them on that .The card company can recover monies from the car dealers account and refund it to your account .

Finally , even if you only recover the amount that you paid on your card ,you would find that the dealers attitude would change as he would be substantially out of pocket .

Good luck and please let the forum know how you get on .

Tonyg
Honda CR-V - Ripped Off - Armitage Shanks {p}

Martin Lewis - the Money Saving Expert says

Whenever you use your credit card to pay for something that costs more than £100 and up to £30,000, Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act (CCA) makes the card issuer jointly liable with whoever you're paying if something goes wrong.

This can be useful if you've got a problem with an item you bought and you can't get the retailer to resolve it, or if you've paid in advance for a product or service you don't receive – because the company's gone bust, for example.

You can claim the full value of a purchase from your card company, not just the amount you paid on your credit card

Note that you can claim the full value of a purchase from your card company, not just the amount you paid on your credit card. This also means that if you paid less than £100 on your card for something worth more than £100, you can still claim the full amount.

Section 75 could mean the difference between you getting your money back and losing it all.

3rd paragraph is relevant to your case and should cheer you up!

Honda CR-V - Ripped Off - harry55

Hi. Anyone had dealings with Global automobiles, Blackburn? My partner bought a car recently and found lots of problems with it. We rejected the car but they don't want to know. I have sent a letter under the sale of of goods act. I also contacted my credit card company as we made part payment for it this way as well as by cash. I understand they are jointly liable under the consumer credit act for the full amount. Is that right? Any advice or help welcome. Thanks.

Thanks to both very helpful replies. Both are spot on. I understand if you pay between £100 and £30,000 on your credit card, even if only part payment and the rest by say cheque, the credit card company is jointly and severally liable (equally responsible). This is good news. However, as you say, the credit card company won't say this .... and they won't give me a timeline on when this will be sorted (ie. when I will get my money back). No surprise there. It means we have a car we don't want, have rejected because of faults and not as described and are not able to buy another one until we get our money back!

I have written to both the credit card company (Consumer Credit Act) and the trader (Sale of Goods Act (as amended) simultaneously. I also notified local trading standards and surprise, surprise they were very interested and helpful. Please note "sold as seen" or other such disclaimer on any invoice from a trader is UNLAWFUL and does not sign away your statutory rights. Trading standards were very interested in this part and also the 5% charge on credit card payment. (An attempt to persuade people to pay cash - don't do it!) They told me the law on this will change next year.

Keep you all updated.

Honda CR-V - Ripped Off - Gemw90
I so wish I had seen this earlier. I bought a Nissan Navara 7 days ago and have been totally screwed over. All the underneath chassis has rotted away and left me with a deadly vehicle. Did you manage to resolve your issue? Thanks gemma.
Honda CR-V - Ripped Off - pd
I so wish I had seen this earlier. I bought a Nissan Navara 7 days ago and have been totally screwed over. All the underneath chassis has rotted away and left me with a deadly vehicle. Did you manage to resolve your issue? Thanks gemma.

I assume it had an MOT? If so, how long? If it was less than 3 months ago you can get the issuing garaged checked up on for corrision issues.

Honda CR-V - Ripped Off - galileo

I assume it had an MOT? If so, how long? If it was less than 3 months ago you can get the issuing garaged checked up on for corrision issues.

VOSA take a very dim view of garages that issue MOTs for vehicles which are seriously defective: chassis corrosion of that degree can't have happened in a short space of time so get confirmation from a reputable MOT tester and report the other to VOSA.

Trading standards needs to know all details too.

Honda CR-V - Ripped Off - gordonbennet

You should take it to a competent garage, preferably an MOT testing station to look at, hopefully it looks worse than it is, they can look pretty dreadful whilst still being sound.

Don't be too distressed by rust on the chassis that isn't perforating, that's quite normal to see, chassis are not treated by the vast majority of makers anywhere near well enough at manufacture stage.

If it's only surface rust then get somone handy to steam clean the underside then wire brush the chassis of loose rust and paint it with one of the many proprietary anti rust coverings.