What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Large Family Estate Recommendations - Silent Dancer

I'm looking for a large family estate with a budget of under £12K. It needs to accomodate the wife and 3 children plus associated luggage. I'd like the car to handle well and not be too sluggish as I'm currently driving a 03 Mondeo hatch 2L 136PSI TDCi I'd ideally like to buy 2 to 3 years old with max of 60,000 on the clock.

I was looking at either a Mazda 6 or Mondeo diesel but I'm concerned about the DPF. Although I do around 12,000 miles per year. My daily commute is only 4.5 miles extended to 9 miles if a school/nursery drop off is involved. Am I right to be concerned about likely DPF problems.

If I look at petrol cars my only option seems to be a Toyato Avenis V-matic? Does anybody have any experience of these engines or is there any other freely available alternative?

Large Family Estate Recommendations - Collos25

Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Tourer you will find it hard to fnd an estate larger,

Large Family Estate Recommendations - Avant

Go for a petrol: your mileage isn't excessive, and diesels can go expensively wrong as they get older.

I don't know why you think the only petrol option is an Avensis: this is a good car but you should also look at the Mondeo 2.0, Mazda 6 2.0, Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI and Honda Accord Tourer 2.0 - all petrol. The Mazda 6 petrol has a particularly good reptutaion for reliability.

You might find a Skoda Superb estate (1.8 TSI) within budget, although they've only been out for about 3 years. This, the Mondeo and C5 are all about as big as you'll find.

Edited by Avant on 06/04/2013 at 12:18

No way am I buying a Citroen if I've concerns about realibility!

The choice of large used petrol estates is very limited. For example a 30 mile Auto Trader search for petrol estates only throws up Avensis and Accord options.

I like the performance combined with economy that a turbo diesel delivers. My current Mondeo diesel has been very reliable. I would hapily buy another diesel engined car, its just I'm concerned regarding the reports about DPFs given that my commute whlst not stop/start is relatively short.

Mondeo and C5 are almost identical as far as mechanics are concerned.

Large Family Estate Recommendations - barney100
Volvo V70, your mileage suggests petrol version.
Large Family Estate Recommendations - TR7
I have a 2010 1.8 avensis tourer as a company car. If you want reliability and stress free driving then this is the car for you. I love it.
Large Family Estate Recommendations - daveyK_UK

Avensis 1.8 tourer is a good suggestion but it is not as spacious as a Mondeo nor is the interior as classy as a Mondeo.

The Mondeo 2.0 petrol is a proven good engine, if you can find an estate petrol version (not alot sold of the current shape), you will have a great car.

The Avensis 1.8 will be alot more economical than the Mondeo engine around town, on a run they should be close. The 2.0 is fine on the fuel on a run but around town it does seem to be thirsty.

Please ignore what a previous poster wrote about the C5 and Mondeo being mechanically identical, they are not and the Mondeo is far more reliable and better built.

The rear leg room in the C5 is shockingly cramped for a car of its size, the Mondeo has good rear leg room ,the Avensis is ok/acceptable.

Edited by daveyK_UK on 06/04/2013 at 22:23

They use the same engines produced by PAS the same gearboxes the same electric components the same suspension the same steering but of course they are different..

Large Family Estate Recommendations - daveyjp
Any reason it needs to be an estate and not an MPV? There may be more petrol choices if you look at this sector. Cmax, Smax, Touran, Verso, Zafira.

Ford did offer the 2.5T in Mondeos and Smax!

Edited by daveyjp on 06/04/2013 at 23:03

Large Family Estate Recommendations - SteveLee

They use the same engines produced by PAS the same gearboxes the same electric components the same suspension the same steering but of course they are different..

Mechanically the same engine but with completely different emissions systems and bespoke software, according to my protocol data they do not share the same electrics, the transmissions are not the same - shared suspension and steering? Are you gaving a laugh?

Took an Avensis 1.8 for test drive. Easy to drive but dull. And a lot of internal rattles.

PSA (not PAS) and Ford jointly produce diesel engines, not petrol as far as I know. There is nothing much wrong with these engines: the uncertain reputation of French cars is more to do with their electrics.

A diesel Mondeo as the OP knows is a good car. Some of us are suggesting petrol because of the short commute.

I disagree.

The petrol mondeo shares nothing with the Citroen

No I bow to greater knowledge i will tell Citroen next time I visit.

Please prove me wrong, but a Mondeo nut friend of mine is adament the petrol 2.0 mondeo engine is a entirely Ford unit (ableit one of their older units) and is not shared with Citroen.

Do Citroen offer the C5 with a petrol engine in the UK anymore?

Do they even offer a petrol C5 in France?

I'm sure you're right: Ford and PSA collborated only on diesel engines. GM and PSA have started a joint project to develop common platforms and petrol engines.

No I bow to greater knowledge i will tell Citroen next time I visit.

Are you really standing by your idiotic statement that Ford use PSA petrol engines in the Mondeo? Good grief.

I disagree.

The petrol mondeo shares nothing with the Citroen

Correct, the petrol engines are not related other than the fact the the PSA petrol and diesels are closely related, the petrol Mondeoss are a mixture of Mazda/Euro Duratec designs. (ignoring the new Ford ecoboosts)

In the end I bought a Mazda 6 2.2D 180 Sport.

I've found it a great buy as it has a huge easy to load boot and bench style rear sat that easily accomodates 3 kids seats. Its great to drive and shifts when you put your foot down. Excellently built and attractive cabin and its loaded with gadgets and a cracking Bose stereo. I've already taken it on 3 300 mile trips and found it to be a great cruiser.

The only minor disappointment is the fuel economy which I've strugled to get above 40mpg.

Before buying I took a 1.8 petrol Avensis out for a spin. The engine was OK but I missed the torque that you get from a turbo diesel. Howvever, the build was shocking. 2 years old and only 20,000 miles and everything was rattling in the cabin.

Large Family Estate Recommendations - Ed V

I have a C5, a 2008 one, and have had nothing but pleasurable motoring in it. As you may know, France is awash with French cars. Were they quite so unreliable as is reported, the French economy would be in dire straits indeed......................

Large Family Estate Recommendations - Alf_Hooker

Worth noting for Future Reference, is that current shape Mondeos have three Diesel Engines, the 1.6, 1.8, and 2.0 the 1.8, does not come equipped with a DPF

Regarding the Mechanical similarity with Citroen, these diesel engines are used by a great many other makers besides, including MINI, Land Rover, Volvo and PSA group

Large Family Estate Recommendations - lordwoody

"the French economy would be in dire straits indeed......................"

It is.......

tinyurl.com/c84q7dp

Large Family Estate Recommendations - Ed V

You missed my ironic use of ...............

Large Family Estate Recommendations - concrete

I'm looking for a large family estate with a budget of under £12K. It needs to accomodate the wife and 3 children plus associated luggage. I'd like the car to handle well and not be too sluggish as I'm currently driving a 03 Mondeo hatch 2L 136PSI TDCi I'd ideally like to buy 2 to 3 years old with max of 60,000 on the clock.

I was looking at either a Mazda 6 or Mondeo diesel but I'm concerned about the DPF. Although I do around 12,000 miles per year. My daily commute is only 4.5 miles extended to 9 miles if a school/nursery drop off is involved. Am I right to be concerned about likely DPF problems.

If I look at petrol cars my only option seems to be a Toyato Avenis V-matic? Does anybody have any experience of these engines or is there any other freely available alternative?

Check out the Skoda garage. The Superb estate is massive in terms of inner space and a lovely car to drive. If you find that too big try an Octavia estate, again massive inner space. Owned them both and still have one. Excellent cars. A good second hand one should be within your budget. Good Luck. Concrete