What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford KA - steering column & humming noise - choices

Hi,

I wonder if anyone can give me some advise. I have recently purchased a Ford Ka that came with 12 months MOT. I've been driving it for the past 4 weeks and a couple of weeks ago noticed a funny smell coming form the air vents at times when driving. I put this down to the outside atmosphere. Then last week I started to hear a sound coming from the steering column that sounds like there's grit rattling around inside of it someh were. On top of that I now have a humming noise coming from the car when driving it usually starts at around 25 -30 mile per hr and gets louder when in higher gears. I don't want to take the car back to the garage I bought it from as I think they may be a bit dodgey as I had an initial problem with the care ie the bonnet had jammed within a week of purchase. Could someone.... can anyone shed any light as to what the problem maybe, oh yes I have just checked my power steering oil and found that it isn't fluid which is a milky yogurty substance should power steering fluid look like that? I know I have to take it to a reputable garage but it would be useful if I had an idea of what to explain when I get there.

Many thanks in anticipation

Choices

Ford KA - steering column & humming noise - jc2

Ford or Fiat??

Ford KA - steering column & humming noise - Collos25

If it needs a new electronic steering wrack/column then you are looking at a very large outlay I would return it to where you bought it .

Ford KA - steering column & humming noise - Andrew-T

Your story sounds as if the PAS reservoir has been topped up with the wrong stuff - it shouldn't look yogurty. I would get it checked, and if need be take it back to the seller to sort it.