What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Fiesta 1.6 Petrol - Iridium Spark Plugs - paul97

Hi

Would like other peoples opinion on whether to upgrade from standard plugs to Iridium, is the initial outlay worth it or stick with replacing standard plugs every 10,000 miles.

Cheers

Paul

Ford Fiesta 1.6 Petrol - Iridium Spark Plugs - RT

The spark plug specification defined by the engine manufacturer is designed for the specific job in hand - unless you're modifying the engine internally there is no real "upgrade" for spark plugs.

Some expensive plug types will last longer than standard but only if you ignore recommended change intervals and use the same plugs until the engine starts to run badly - not really a good policy.

Changing plugs at the manufacturers recommended intervals, using standard specification is good, simple, cheap maintenance.

Ford Fiesta 1.6 Petrol - Iridium Spark Plugs - bathtub tom

If you fit iridium plugs, then by the time they need changing they may be so corroded it'll be impossible to remove them. Then again they may well outlast the rest of the car.

Ford Fiesta 1.6 Petrol - Iridium Spark Plugs - jc2

Modern plugs are normally platinum plated and should be good for at least 50,000 miles.It's not just the plating but the lack of lead in the fuel.

Edited by jc2 on 29/03/2013 at 14:04

Ford Fiesta 1.6 Petrol - Iridium Spark Plugs - craig-pd130

Iridium plugs are really for a) high-output turbo petrol engines, as combustion chamber pressure increases the voltage needed to jump the spark plug gap, so having a very narrow electrode that doesn't erode is desirable for a reliable spark; or b) highly-tuned two-stroke motorcycle engines, because the rich, oily mixture needs a fat spark, and narrow electrodes are a big help.

The benefit in a normally aspirated 4-stroke engine will be marginal at best.

Ford Fiesta 1.6 Petrol - Iridium Spark Plugs - unthrottled

The benefit in a normally aspirated 4-stroke engine will be marginal at best.

That's because you haven't 'indexed' them Craig. You have to make sure that the gap on each plug is aligned to the exhaust valve...or maybe it's the inlet valve...or possibly to the East. I can't remember :)

I still use copper electrode plugs. No misfir at idle, and no preignition at full pelt. That's about all you can ask a plug to do.

Ford Fiesta 1.6 Petrol - Iridium Spark Plugs - craig-pd130

That's because you haven't 'indexed' them Craig. You have to make sure that the gap on each plug is aligned to the exhaust valve...or maybe it's the inlet valve...or possibly to the East. I can't remember :)

Haha, indeed :) Although I recently read an article about race-preparing a 250cc Paton (a rare Italian GP race bike from the 60s, a twin-cylinder, twin-cam 4-stroke). The mechanics added or subtracted spark plug washers to get the electrodes' 'reach' into the combustion chamber optimised. I suppose at racing level, every 0.25bhp helps ....

Ford Fiesta 1.6 Petrol - Iridium Spark Plugs - Pondlife

Iridium plugs are really for a) high-output turbo petrol engines, as combustion chamber pressure increases the voltage needed to jump the spark plug gap, so having a very narrow electrode that doesn't erode is desirable for a reliable spark

I thought turbocharged petrol engines had lower compression ratios than NA engines to avoid preignition. The turbo will make the inlet mixture hotter, so it's more susceptable to pinking.

Ford Fiesta 1.6 Petrol - Iridium Spark Plugs - RT

Iridium plugs are really for a) high-output turbo petrol engines, as combustion chamber pressure increases the voltage needed to jump the spark plug gap, so having a very narrow electrode that doesn't erode is desirable for a reliable spark

I thought turbocharged petrol engines had lower compression ratios than NA engines to avoid preignition. The turbo will make the inlet mixture hotter, so it's more susceptable to pinking.

Lower compression ratio, yes as calculated but the actual pressure is higher because of the turbocharging.

Ford Fiesta 1.6 Petrol - Iridium Spark Plugs - paul97

Thanks Guys for all your comments, won't bother with Iridium & stick to ordinary plugs.

Cheers

Paul