Ford Galaxy (1998) TDI 1896 cc - Overheating after garage repair - Robert in Portugal

Hello. I bought this elderly 7seater in February 2013, from a large professional car dealer here in Portugal. I was told that there was a problem with the cylinder head 'joint' (?gasket) which they would fix, and also that they would service the car thoroughly before it was handed over to me. They gave me a written 1 year guarantee on the engine and gear-box. The car showed 220,000 km on the clock, though a computer check discovered later that the 'Belt' had been changed by Ford agents at 199,000 km in 2009 (!), and also previously at 100,000 km.

On delivery the car and engine were certainly very clean and well polished inside and out, and it drove well for me for 250 km. But then, when going up a long motorway incline with a full load, the temperature gauge was suddenly seen to be on the extreme RED sector and the Temperature Warning Light was on. I pulled off the road and called out the rescue service Once the engine was cool the technician said that either the coolant was not circulating, or that it was leaking: a problem in the 'plumbing'. Since then, the car has not been driven except to confirm that it is overheating, and it has been trucked back to the vendor, for attention under the Guarantee. Do you think that this problem could be related to the "gasket" problem which I mentioned ? What would be the right sort of repairs that might be required ? Thanks.

Ford Galaxy (1998) TDI 1896 cc - Overheating after garage repair - injection doc

water pump impeller failure is the normal cause of failure on these engines , sometimes the impeller just becomes loose ! so when the pump is removed it looks ok , but also bearing in mind the high mileage blocked radiators must not be dismissed.

I have had to change radiators in 5 year old cars where they have lost their cooling efficencey. Normal sign is rapid rise in temp when going over a certain speed or uphill or towing.